News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

07/01 - Super Ball IX - Watkins Glen, NY - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by Undermind, July 01, 2011, 11:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jedifunk

well, like all 3.0 it looks really great on paper.

seems like it was solid playing but nothing special. perhaps i'll give it a whirl sometime.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: jedifunk on July 02, 2011, 10:58:34 AM
well, like all 3.0 it looks really great on paper.

seems like it was solid playing but nothing special. perhaps i'll give it a whirl sometime.

your assessment is pretty accurate.  the simple is kinda nice.  other than that nothing is worth jamming out to on the reg.

Alumni

That;s what it kind of sounds like: Cliffs Notes version of the Summer 11 Tour.

Kind of hard to avoid repeats when you play 12 songs per set.

Local TV reporter* at the festival says 30k in attendance. If that's true, it can't be much ahead of Festival 8. If it's ahead at all.

Her name was Greenberg, as luck would have it. She didn't get her song, though. Oh well.

Quote from: Marmar on July 02, 2011, 08:25:26 AM
super 3.0 balled...

bleh....

Moma, Sand and Simple.....

If the Ball were the only 3 shows I'd seen all year I'd be happy.....BUT.....with this many repeats, and how much of a snoozer this set is, I'd be pissed knowing that roughly $75 of my $200+ paid for a night like this...

It did sound like they were having a blast on stage, and some moments were very nice and tight......but there was nothing new here.....nothin to see, keep it movin....
Cause I got a degree

phil

Had a good time listening to the bunny and LST'ing but I was baked out of my gourd and I don't really remember anything except that trey was doing something really cool and then chalkdust happened. I need to listen again to see what's really up with this one.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

VDB

The only thing I caught on the stream last night was Bug. Sounded like too much of that off-key soloing that Trey likes to do these days. I listen to the pre-CEP jam this morning and enjoyed it for what it was, which if nothing else was a nice change of pace. This is the kind of jam they could easily drop into after the typical post-shred ambient breakdown we hear so often. If they did, people would be loving it.
Is this still Wombat?

mopper_smurf

Well, at least they tried to pen Set II in an interesting way.

Perhaps they should play behind a curtain and call it tech rehearsal.
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

cactusfan

simple is the one cool jam in here. but otherwise there's some good playing in this show, even if it's not one for the ages.

wolfman's is especially hot. peaches and life on mars are both nicely played. the segue into chalk dust is smooth and for real.

qop24

Quote from: mopper_smurf on July 02, 2011, 02:14:32 PM
Perhaps they should play behind a curtain and call it tech rehearsal.

This was an oddly prophetic quote....fast forward 12 hours and that's about what happened
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 14, 2011, 11:26:55 PM
Trey actually is totally inspired with ideas up the ass

Quote from: kellerb on July 06, 2011, 07:16:17 PM
When you're on droogz you don't remember which eye's supposed to be lazy

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: Undermind on July 01, 2011, 11:58:26 PM
07/01/2011
Super Ball IX
Watkins Glen International
Watkins Glen, NY

Set I:
Possum, Peaches en Regalia, The Moma Dance, Torn and Frayed, NICU, Bathtub Gin, Life on Mars?@,
My Friend My Friend, Wolfman's Brother, Roses are Free, Funky Bitch, Quinn the Eskimo

Set II:
Jam> Crosseyed and Painless -> Chalk Dust Torture, Sand > The Wedge, Mike's Song > Simple*, Bug,
The Horse> Silent In The Morning> Weekapaug Groove, Joy, Character Zero

Encore:
Show of Life

I really enjoyed this show albeit suffering from the same set flow problems as most 3.0

Peaches, Torn and Frayed & my first Life on Mars in the same set was a real treat.

Highlights were the Wolfman's, High energy C&P (w/ a nice segue into CDT) a real ambient Simple, and an extra rocking bug imo
Bring in the dude!

mistercharlie

I really enjoy the Moma, Gin and Wolfman's. Especially Wolfman's, nice and rockin' with some slunk-funk thrown in.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

emay

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on July 04, 2011, 08:11:14 PM
Quote from: Undermind on July 01, 2011, 11:58:26 PM
07/01/2011
Super Ball IX
Watkins Glen International
Watkins Glen, NY

Set I:
Possum, Peaches en Regalia, The Moma Dance, Torn and Frayed, NICU, Bathtub Gin, Life on Mars?@,
My Friend My Friend, Wolfman's Brother, Roses are Free, Funky Bitch, Quinn the Eskimo

Set II:
Jam> Crosseyed and Painless -> Chalk Dust Torture, Sand > The Wedge, Mike's Song > Simple*, Bug,
The Horse> Silent In The Morning> Weekapaug Groove, Joy, Character Zero

Encore:
Show of Life
:clap:

macaronihead

Quote from: mistercharlie on July 04, 2011, 08:22:40 PM
I really enjoy the Moma, Gin and Wolfman's. Especially Wolfman's, nice and rockin' with some slunk-funk thrown in.

I came here to post the same thing. Beefy Moma for 3.0. Thought Quinn was rawkin' as well.

Hicks

Cliff Note'd:

Moma, Gin, Quinn, Jam> C&P, Sand, Mike's> Simple

Moma was nice and relaxed, it's always a good sign when Fish doesn't start singing until after the two minute mark. 

I was expecting a 14 min Gin but instead got a standard 3.0 11:30 version with 3:30 of crowd noise and some tepid ferris wheel banter, lamerz. . .    :x

Quinn, I dunno mang kind of "pitchy" runs by Trey here, it was just aight for me "dawg".  And by "aight" I mean fairly "craptacular".

Jam, they're laughing with us, not at us, right?

C&P sheesh the song just keeps getting more and more standard.  To think at one time it was one of my fave covers and now it's almost a guaranteed meh.  I guess the last couple minutes were OK, kind of sounded like everyone but Leo gave up on the jam though.

Sand, they recapture the relaxed/effortless vibe of the Moma, really liked the flowing quality of this jam and enjoyed it.

Mike's> Simple, the Simple breaks down in to real nice ambient noodle jam just after the six and a half minute mark, Trey let's Mike drive for a minute and Leo comes in with the alien synth sounds.  Some borderline whale call from Trey but it works well in this context.  It's funny the 3rd Stone teases kind of reminded me of Roses when I first heard them.  In any event, satisfying jam here, definitely the highlight of what I heard.

On to 7/2. . .   

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

phil

Enough can't be said about this Simple > Bug. This is what I want from them nightly.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

Gundo

Wolfman's Brother = greatness
...it just felt like it ended about a minute too early