News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Interview Thread

Started by redrum, January 02, 2009, 10:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: ph92 on March 12, 2018, 02:27:56 PM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on March 07, 2018, 01:52:22 AM
Quote from: WhatstheUse? on March 07, 2018, 12:41:10 AM
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/T9tCF

So... not exactly an interview.... but Fishman just posted some great answers on the addicted to Phish FB thread...

I love how normal he is in real life.
That and how this just solidifies that his wife is a tour rat.

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on March 12, 2018, 11:47:28 AM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on March 11, 2018, 05:29:19 PM
How about 2 hours of Fishman?

http://www.drummersresource.com/jon-fishman-interview/

oh this is good!
Gonna queue this up at work
that was great. Can't wait to hear part 2.
He is hitting on so many points that I'm thinking of as I'm re-discovering myself as a drummer - maintining the groove, polyrhyhthms, space.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

PIE-GUY

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: slslbs on March 15, 2018, 08:48:31 AM
Quote from: ph92 on March 12, 2018, 02:27:56 PM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on March 07, 2018, 01:52:22 AM
Quote from: WhatstheUse? on March 07, 2018, 12:41:10 AM
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/T9tCF

So... not exactly an interview.... but Fishman just posted some great answers on the addicted to Phish FB thread...

I love how normal he is in real life.
That and how this just solidifies that his wife is a tour rat.

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on March 12, 2018, 11:47:28 AM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on March 11, 2018, 05:29:19 PM
How about 2 hours of Fishman?

http://www.drummersresource.com/jon-fishman-interview/

oh this is good!
Gonna queue this up at work
that was great. Can't wait to hear part 2.
He is hitting on so many points that I'm thinking of as I'm re-discovering myself as a drummer - maintining the groove, polyrhyhthms, space.

Do it!

He really did hit on a lot of interesting points, in a completely scatterbrain way, but that made it all the more endearing.  I love that he called himself a 'closet guitar player' - his playing really is incredibly melodic.  I love that they used to refer to Page as 'Dad". It was also pretty cool that he mentioned that 3/4 thing he does on the ride cymbal in Chalkdust jams these days, I've noticed that's been his go to rhythm lately and I'd never heard him do it before 2015 or so
Bring in the dude!

sls.stormyrider

his Stash groove was my personal introduction to playing polyrhythms. I was so psyched when I figured it out.
I'll work on the 3/4 over 4/4 ride thing next
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

sls.stormyrider

paying a lot of attention to the shuffle now. Haven't thought about it that much before, not in that way.
will have to dig up the Julius he was talking about.

PIE-GUY

It's kinda weird reading an interview with Trey's daughter, but it's pretty cool none the less.

https://gratefulmommabear.com/2018/04/26/an-evening-with-bella-anastasio-an-inside-look-at-phish-and-her-life/

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: PIE-GUY on April 26, 2018, 05:23:11 PM
It's kinda weird reading an interview with Trey's daughter, but it's pretty cool none the less.

https://gratefulmommabear.com/2018/04/26/an-evening-with-bella-anastasio-an-inside-look-at-phish-and-her-life/

Pretty down to earth for the daughter of a rock star.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Gumbo72203

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on March 15, 2018, 12:08:16 PM

It was also pretty cool that he mentioned that 3/4 thing he does on the ride cymbal in Chalkdust jams these days, I've noticed that's been his go to rhythm lately and I'd never heard him do it before 2015 or so

Yo what?  I don't know what you're talking about here, can you give me a timestamp on some version?  I'm super curious so I can show our drummer. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on October 01, 2018, 11:44:59 PM

It was also pretty cool that he mentioned that 3/4 thing he does on the ride cymbal in Chalkdust jams these days, I've noticed that's been his go to rhythm lately and I'd never heard him do it before 2015 or so

Yo what?  I don't know what you're talking about here, can you give me a timestamp on some version?  I'm super curious so I can show our drummer.

I kid you not..... I pulled up a completely random 3.0 CDT, scrolled half way into the jam.... and he was doing the exact beat he describes... first try lol.

http://www.phishtracks.com/shows/2014-07-29/chalk-dust-torture

check around the 7:50 mark.... he plays this exact beat without variation for a pretty long time.

The snare stays on 2 and 4.....but the ride cymbal does a repeating 3 pattern over it.  Meaning.... the full pattern lines up every 3 bars.

Bring in the dude!

PIE-GUY

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on October 02, 2018, 12:17:54 AM
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on October 01, 2018, 11:44:59 PM

I kid you not..... I pulled up a completely random 3.0 CDT, scrolled half way into the jam.... and he was doing the exact beat he describes... first try lol.

http://www.phishtracks.com/shows/2014-07-29/chalk-dust-torture

check around the 7:50 mark.... he plays this exact beat without variation for a pretty long time.

The snare stays on 2 and 4.....but the ride cymbal does a repeating 3 pattern over it.  Meaning.... the fully pattern lines up every 3 bars.

I get what he's doing here... I just am fairly certain my limbs could never pull it off. I mean, even without having to physically keep the 4/4 pattern going I can't make my hands drum in three against the 4/4 I'm hearing.

It's almost like he's using the ride in the way Trey used to use the loops in Ghost and others. The loops were never in time, but that made it interesting because they would line up with the beat every few measures.

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: PIE-GUY on October 02, 2018, 10:46:07 AM
It's almost like he's using the ride in the way Trey used to use the loops in Ghost and others. The loops were never in time, but that made it interesting because they would line up with the beat every few measures.

Bingo! The loops were random and less precisely timed but, it definitely creates the same feel.

With this Fish beat, it repeats every 3 bars... but the rest of the band is playing in even phrases (bars of 4) ...... so..... everyone links up after 12 bars...... buuuuuut most likely, the strongest resolutions will come every 16 bars..... which means you have to do that entire cycle 3 times before everyone ALL lands on the 1 together...in the same phrase. Math and stuff.

Here's a crude example of how 3 bars of the beat would look.

Cymbal:       1 e & a 2 e & a 3 e & a 4 e & a |1 e & a 2 e & a 3 e & a 4 e & a |1 e & a 2 e & a 3 e & a 4 e & a |
  Snare:        1 e & a 2 e & a 3 e & a 4 e & a |1 e & a 2 e & a 3 e & a 4 e & a | 1 e & a 2 e & a 3 e & a 4 e & a |

eta: and to bring things full circle, check out 3:38 in this jauntee track, "For the Birds" to see how I completely ripped off this idea and applied it to songwriting :wtu:
Bring in the dude!

PIE-GUY

Hell yeah - Do you know why we're still friends?

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: PIE-GUY on October 02, 2018, 12:00:15 PM

I always figured it was my boyish good looks and dreamy curls.
Bring in the dude!

PIE-GUY

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on October 02, 2018, 12:07:43 PM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on October 02, 2018, 12:00:15 PM

I always figured it was my boyish good looks and dreamy curls.

Nah - always been about your math skills. Now, please explain how JRAD can seamlessly shift between 4/4, 7/4, 12/8, and 11/8 without me even noticing the difference? I've seen 'em do it!