News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

i could use some help...

Started by alcoholandcoffeebeans, October 13, 2009, 02:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alcoholandcoffeebeans

for the religion class i'm taking this semester....

it's called "The Psychology of Religion".

we were asked to go out and about and ask our friends if they feel that there is a difference between religiousness and spirituality. seeing how i work in a bar, it doesn't make for good conversation between myself and our patrons, ya know? plus, i know a lot of you have similar views as i do but some of you have very VERY different views than i do and i can't wait to hear what some of you have to say.

i'm not asking for a debate, just a simple feel for for how you guys/gals view these words (a somewhat definition) and if you believe they're interchangeable.

(*disclaimer* if this leads to further discussion, i claim no part in it  :evil: )

thanks everyone for helping out with my skoolin'.  :-)
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

WhatstheUse?

You can be spiritual without being religious.

I'm not sure you can be religious without being spiritual.

I've always thought that being spiritual means having a belief in something, whatever that me be.  Whereas being religious implies that you follow a specific set of beliefs.

All I know, is that I know nothing.
Bring in the dude!

rowjimmy

Simply, Religion is a collective doctrine to which one subscribes (or not.)

Spirituality, as I understand it, is more a personal connection to some sort of beyond.

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 13, 2009, 02:55:48 PM
Spirituality, as I understand it, is more a personal connection to some sort of beyond.

I think this is true to an extent, but I would also argue that being spiritual may not necessarly contain a belief in the "beyond."

I think someone could be spiritual, but have no belief in an afterlife or higher power.

Although, I do understand that "beyond" does not necissarly imply "afterlife" or "higher power" so I apoligize if I misenterpreted you, RJ.

Bring in the dude!

rowjimmy

I did not mean to specifically imply afterlife or higher power... just something greater than the individual or physical plain.

sophist

Religion is model of doctrine(s) based on specific beliefs that deal with two premises
1) a god or gods exist
2) the function of that god or god(s) and it's interaction with one society or societies

Spirituality is an extension of the existentialist question we must all ask ourselves.  What purpose does each being serve?  Spirituality can tie into religion in some aspects, but it can also be dependent of it.  This is why I feel some people describe a Dead or Phish show as religious, it is a moment of existentialism for that person.   

Now I would say one can be spiritual without being religious, and if one is religious then they are also spiritual.  You cannot be religious and not have spirituality.
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

rowjimmy

Quote from: Sophist on October 13, 2009, 03:14:27 PM
You cannot be religious and not have spirituality.

Unless you are a fraud.

Hicks

For me spirituality is the more general concept whereas religion is the organized application of spirituality. 

I suppose an ok analogy would be that spirituality is like the idea of music in the abstract whereas music theory with its system of notes, scales and chords would be like a religion of sorts. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

sophist

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 13, 2009, 03:23:25 PM
Quote from: Sophist on October 13, 2009, 03:14:27 PM
You cannot be religious and not have spirituality.

Unless you are a fraud.
Valid point.  I guess I was assuming a genuine pursuit of religion though, which is why I didn't think of that. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

shoreline99

To me, religion is more of an organized set of beliefs in a structured format, be they teachings, a book of moral tales, a way of life or a service of some type.
Spirituality is the idea and belief that there is more out there than just ourselves, be it Buddhism or tree worship, or Catholicism or anything else, be they Rastafarian, earth mother or wiccan.

Religion tends to be, again in my opinion, based upon the teachings or theories of an individual or group of people of the same mind.

I dunno. I consider myself a spiritual person who can find myself fulfilled in many situations, be they organized religious services, the view from the top of Yosemite park, the smell of the salt ocean air at sunset, or a great set of music on a perfect day.

It's the acknowledgment that there is something out there that is bigger than we can possibly realize
and a person's contentment with their place in that universe

sweet blog.
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

antelope19

Where does the Flying Spaghetti Monster fall in all of this?
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

sls.stormyrider

agree with Shoreline's post - actually most of us are saying similar things in slightly different ways.

can you be religious w/o being spiritual? I guess that is how you define religious. How many people go to church every Sunday out of sense of obligation only. Is that religious? (I guess that might be the definition of fraud)

Also, can you believe in a higher power without being spiritual? I think yes - it is possible to believe in God without necessary "feeling it" - if you know what I mean.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

shoreline99

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

Alumni

Quote from: antelope19 on October 13, 2009, 03:31:03 PM
Where does the Flying Spaghetti Monster fall in all of this?

I think it was responsible for creating the Kansas Board of Education, but I'm not sure.
Cause I got a degree

alcoholandcoffeebeans

thanks, so far, everyone  :beers:

hicks- the music idea will very much help me on my midterm tomorrow, thank you oh so much.

i guess i see things pretty simply.

i look at religion as a rubix cube... pretty rigid, and every idea (individual square) has it's right place with each category (sides), but you have to play around with it to get the right fit, if you want that.
i look at spirituality as a gumbo... a little bit of everything you can imagine is in there & it warms you up.

do i believe you can be spiritual but not religious? FOR SURE.
vice versa? not so much, but there are exceptions to every rule.
and i'm sure there are ways of understanding the world without either... oh wait, that's science ;)
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫