News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

'Paug Homebrewers

Started by roggae, January 17, 2007, 04:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tet

we might... sucks to lose all rights to a recipe, but it might be pretty cool.  the beers are really good so far. 
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

jephrey

Lose a recipe?  Nah, you can still make it right?  So what if Sam Adams makes it and gives you $5000 royalties?  You'll probably get on their commercial as the winner as well, there's your 15seconds of fame.  I just read the rules today...  4 bottles of your best.

J
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

tet

nope.  grand champion loses all rights to the recipe.  it must be fully disclosed AND u must HELP them brew it if they ask!  the other winners submit their recipes, but are free to keep using them.  but the 4 grand champions can never brew it again, as far as I read it.
-Phish

rowjimmy

Sorry. No one can tell you what you brew at home.
You may lose the rights to sell the recipe or to ask samuel adams for more money once they make 10bazillion on it... But you can still make it at home.

tet

Quote from: rowjimmy on February 22, 2007, 08:26:48 PM
Sorry. No one can tell you what you brew at home.
You may lose the rights to sell the recipe or to ask samuel adams for more money once they make 10bazillion on it... But you can still make it at home.

you are correct.  but, if you have the fame of winning the contest, it would be nice to be able to profit off that same excellent beer in the future...  so it's still a loss, IMO.
-Phish

rowjimmy

Quote from: tet on February 22, 2007, 08:59:57 PM
you are correct.  but, if you have the fame of winning the contest, it would be nice to be able to profit off that same excellent beer in the future...  so it's still a loss, IMO.
I agree.
but homebrewing for the sake of drinking my own beer is prize enough.

jephrey

I get what you're saying tet, but there's only a minute chance that you'd profit monetarily or appreciatevely? from it otherwise.  Winners of competitions don't even profit off their beer, and even if they do, it'll just be an attraction at a microbrewery along with other beers.  The chances of starting a successful brewery are pretty slim as well, so I would take the $5000 and short lived fame, and give up my 1/a lot chance for the beer to "get famous" on its own.  At that point you have a good name, so  you'll have other beers that people would be interested in and your chances of success in starting a microbrewery are even better.  Even if it's not with your prized beer.

Plus, you still have the recipe so you, and anyone else, you give it to can brew the same beer. 

Just my thoughts

J
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

roggae

tet,

don't too far ahead of yourself here.   :mrgreen:
Clearly it's all awful.

UncleEbinezer

I figured there was a homebrew thread already and I know many of you post in the beer Appreciation thread, but I thought this was more specific to homebrewers. 

I am looking at a wort chiller and was curious what experience (if any) you have with plate chillers.  I have been looking at a Shirron plate chiller.  I was all about getting a counterflow chiller, but I think this plate chiller might be the best for me.   Any thoughts on this or what you use?

I have been brewing for about 2 years and have just been chilling by putting a lid on my beer and stirring a cold saltwater ice bath around the outside.  This has worked fine and my beers have been great, but I am looking to decrease my time and chances of contamination.
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

UncleEbinezer

What are homebrewers doing for keeping the fermentation temperature up?  This is the second brew since I have been in my new house and I am not pleased with the fermentation temperature.  Before I used to just set the carboy over the heating grate, but I don't have a good spot in this house.

I have been looking at different heating solutions, but was curious how others are maintaining the temperatures.
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

natronzero

Quote from: UncleEbinezer on February 17, 2010, 09:05:06 AM
I figured there was a homebrew thread already and I know many of you post in the beer Appreciation thread, but I thought this was more specific to homebrewers. 

I am looking at a wort chiller and was curious what experience (if any) you have with plate chillers.  I have been looking at a Shirron plate chiller.  I was all about getting a counterflow chiller, but I think this plate chiller might be the best for me.   Any thoughts on this or what you use?

I have been brewing for about 2 years and have just been chilling by putting a lid on my beer and stirring a cold saltwater ice bath around the outside.  This has worked fine and my beers have been great, but I am looking to decrease my time and chances of contamination.
Plate chillers are great, they work quickly and are compact. Any chiller that has the beer pass through it internally (ie plate or counterflow) is going to require some pretty stringent cleaning, but I think it's a small price to pay for the benefit of quick wort chilling. Ice baths and immersion chillers just dont cut it.
It's also pretty effective to make or buy a prechiller to cool the water for chilling before it goes through the real chiller. I just used to use my old immersion chiller submerged in ice water, connected to the water inlet of my counterflow chiller.
This book rules: http://www.amazon.com/Brew-Ware-Adapt-Homebrewing-Equipment/dp/0882669265
I'd rather dwell in some dark holler where the sun refuses to shine, where the wild birds of heaven can't hear me when I whine.