News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

DVD + R or -R

Started by sls.stormyrider, November 21, 2008, 09:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sls.stormyrider

Probably an old topic, but need to get new DVDs for archiving. I've been using +R, curious if there is a difference in reality.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

tet

some burners can only write to & read one or the other, and some DVD players can also only read one or the other.  or neither.  or both.

investigate what you have and what you want it to be compatible with, and that's your answer.

most modern burners can handle both, so if only data archiving, you should be fine with either. 
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

Marmar

there are slight differences in the write strategy for + vs. -

how this affects archive reliability......unknown.....I've had no bad luck with either, I just learned to NOT rely on dual layers for archiving.....

and that is the best advice I can give....
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

uglyroomer

I've been using -r for my archives, and viewable movies.  I don't really know the difference either.   no probs.  (Single layer only too.)
Jimmy Page's quote:"You think of the drum part that John Bonham did on Led Zeppelin's first track on the first album, 'Good Times Bad Times'. How many drummers in the world can play that part, let alone on Christmas morning?"

jephrey

Used to have one that did only -R, no probs.  Have one that does both and the Taiyo Yudens I get are +R so now I do +R, no probs.
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.