News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

organize your CDs?

Started by AfterMidnight, October 08, 2007, 09:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ytowndan

Quote from: August on October 08, 2007, 10:40:51 PM

Make sure you verify your files with mkwact/frontend/trader's helper before and after each burn.
a

Yep.  I learned that the hard way.  I've found about 7 or 8 discs so far with bad burns.  Its kinda annoying to do at first, but its definitely worth it in the end.
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

August

Quote from: slslbs on October 08, 2007, 10:43:47 PM
the other reason to backup to DVD is to save a copy of the data files for trading. the biggest challenge for me is to keep the dvd's organized so I can find a show if I need it.

I know some people keep a number next to each show on their list, but I just throw them on a spindle.
I can fit 2 years on each spindle, and each DVD I burn only contains shows from ONE year.
It's not that hard to find a show like that, plus they are all in drawer at arms-length.  :-)
a

blatboom

Quote from: August on October 08, 2007, 10:47:21 PM
I know some people keep a number next to each show on their list, but I just throw them on a spindle.
I can fit 2 years on each spindle, and each DVD I burn only contains shows from ONE year.
It's not that hard to find a show like that, plus they are all in drawer at arms-length.  :-)
a

i'm building Spindle-Towers over here with these CDs  :-D

August

I bet.
A lot of people here were giving away tons of data CD's a while ago.
a

newplanet7

Quote from: August on October 08, 2007, 10:34:07 PM
External burners?
They work just as well as internals.
If you are serious about your collection, Rule #1 is BACK UP TO DVD.
a
W E R D!
Quote from: phan003 on June 16, 2007, 01:41:44 PM
Funny would be applying super glue to your nuts and putting said nuts on her face.  Talk about "seeing the light" and remaining faithful to the indigo girls manifesto.  :wink: 

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 16, 2007, 10:33:26 PM
There's more airbrush on that shot than on a Peterbilt with a flame job.
:lol:

"Gus Johnson Got the key"

whyweigh5.0

I've been trying to figure out a system that works for me for some time now :?

for the most part though I have CDs laying all over the place here
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

disco

Quote from: August on October 08, 2007, 10:34:07 PM
External burners?
They work just as well as internals.
If you are serious about your collection, Rule #1 is BACK UP TO DVD.
a

That's it, right there, backups!!!  If you want to collect more than 20 phish shows and will probably scratch at least one CD, then you need a dvd burner and all your shn/flac filesets backed up to disc. For me it was quite cheap, maybe $150 for the burner and all the dvd's.

Quote from: August on October 08, 2007, 10:47:21 PM
a

I disagree with aug here. Having to look for each disc requires that you shuffle through a spindle any time you need a disc. I keep mine vertically (so there is less pressure on the lower discs) in cases so that I can see which is which without have to move the disc. I have all the shows written on each numbered disc along with a list at phishhook that has the show, source, and dvd number. I think its fairly quick and easy but to each their own
..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·.¸´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>.¸¸..

www.week4paug.net

Sharin' our groove with you

..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·.¸´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>.¸¸..

jasonsobel

I've gone through a couple of systems since I started archiving/saving the SHN/FLAC file sets many years ago.  And I'vre recently been thinking about how I'm going to be moving forward with my collection.  what I'm dealing with currently is ~1500 data CD's and ~450 data DVD's.  I used to keep the CD's piled in spindles.  but after years of moving the spindles around and discs shifting, I found that the discs were actually getting scratched.  the scratches were in a circular pattern, suggesting to me that some spec of dust or dirt got in between two discs, and as the discs spin around the spindle (slowly, with many moves over the years picking out individual discs to get to the show that I needed), they would get scratched up.  So, I bought thousands of tyvek sleeves and moved everything into individual sleeves.  All of my data CD's are kept in ammo boxes that I picked up at the local army/navy store.  each ammo box holds between 130-140 discs.  I have bout 12 ammo boxes full, and they're labeled "Phish 01" and "Phish 06" and "Other 01" through "Other 06".  the Phish shows are in chronological order, while the "other" boxes are alphabetical.  Then comes the DVD's.  those are also in individual sleeves.  each sleeve is labeled "DVD-001" through "DVD-441".  the DVD's themselves are stored in wooden drawers that I bought from IKEA.  each drawer is about the same size as the inside of the ammo boxes, so it works very well.  and I have a corresponding excel file that tabulates the DVD number, band, date, file format, resolution (16bit vs. 24bit), and any notes.  it's very easy to open up the excel file, sort by any of the columns, and find exactly what I need.  I think this is a great system.  also, something I learned the hard way.  back when I only had about 200 DVD's, my hard drive crashed.  I didn't lose any audio, but I had neglected to back-up that excel file.  so all of a sudden, I had ~200 data DVDs with no idea what was on any of them.  after I finally re-created that excel file (over the course of a couple of months), I know burn the latest version of the excel file to each DVD.  so if the HD ever crashes again, all I have to do is pop in the last DVD I burned and I'm all set.

here are my thoughts for the future.  12 ammo boxes are really unweildy.  I'd like to transfer all those shows off the CDs, some of those CD's are 8 or 9 years old, and I know that the data should be transferred a new medium.  as HD prices drop, I think I'll be getting myself a comprehensive HD system.  but I'm not quite ready to spend what I'd need (I'm hoping I could get by with 2TB for now).  but once I get everything over a HD system, I'd then like to burn to some other media in preparation of when that HD goes down.  what I'm hoping for is a burnable HD-DVD or burnable bluray disc (they both exist already).  so that once I copy everything over to HD, I can burn the whole thing to HD-DVD media (or whatever) and then get rid of all my existing data CD's and DVD's.

any thoughts or suggestions?
sing me back home before I die

AfterMidnight

jason,
what's wrong with the system that you have now? why don't you like it?

i'm looking into setting up a RAID hard system. they mirror each other. so if a put a show on HD 1 it will then back it on HD 2. i also don't think that i want to get any hard drives bigger that 250. the only thing is this will in the long run get pricey.

newplanet7

Quote from: MarkDavidson on October 10, 2007, 07:18:46 PM
i also don't think that i want to get any hard drives bigger that 250.
IMO no need for anything else.
Especially if you back up your shows.
A 250 is good if you are seeding a years worth or some kind of project seeding,
but what else.
I only run an 80 gig internal and a 250 ext.
I seed a ton and never need to fil up what I have.
-t
Quote from: phan003 on June 16, 2007, 01:41:44 PM
Funny would be applying super glue to your nuts and putting said nuts on her face.  Talk about "seeing the light" and remaining faithful to the indigo girls manifesto.  :wink: 

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 16, 2007, 10:33:26 PM
There's more airbrush on that shot than on a Peterbilt with a flame job.
:lol:

"Gus Johnson Got the key"

jasonsobel

jason,
what's wrong with the system that you have now? why don't you like it?

I have a few concerns/improvements in mind.

the biggest issues for me are the following:
I'm concerned that some of the older CD-R media will degrade and the data on those will be lost.  It's nothing that can't be replaced, as everything is in circulation.  but it's time consuming to replace.  so I'd like to update to a HD system to get everything off aging media.  Moving everything to HD media will bring another advantage, as it will bring everything to "one place", and I can hook it up to my main stereo.  Then I can say good-bye to the hundreds (thousands?) of audio CDs that I have burned over the years.  The problem with having everything on HD's is that I don't trust it.  So if I get everything onto HDs, I'm not going to throw away the data CD's until all the data is also burned onto some other optical media.  but re-burning all that data to regular DVD's is going to be too time consuming.  that's why I'm hoping that either burning HD-DVD (or bluray) will become more practical and affordable, so after I move everything to HD's, I can re-burn to new optical media efficiently, and then not worry about getting rid of the older CD-R media (because everything will be on the HD's and the new optical media).  the other advantage of getting everything onto HD-DVD (or bluray) is because when the HD's crash and burn, it'll be easier to restore the whole collection from 100 optical discs (HD-DVD) rather restoring all the data from thousands of CD-R's.

so, that's really my thoughts on that.  as far as my current DVD back-up system, it works well and I like it.  the issues I'll be facing are: when I switch over to harddrives, it will be time consuming to copy 450+ DVD's to the HD's.   and I'm burning a few new DVD's each week, so the number of DVD's is only going to grow.  Basically, when dealing with terrabytes of data, it is just inconvenient to back it up (or restore it to a new HD) 4.5 gigs at a time.  so I am craving for higher density media.  :-)

jasonsobel

i'm looking into setting up a RAID hard system. they mirror each other. so if a put a show on HD 1 it will then back it on HD 2. i also don't think that i want to get any hard drives bigger that 250. the only thing is this will in the long run get pricey.

one other thought about RAID.  while it can be useful if set up correctly, I don't see it as necessary.  I'd be more inclined to just double the amount of HD space that I would need and sync the two drives every night or every week or something.  RAID is nice because it does it in *real time*.  but honestly, even if you download a new show every day, that's not a whole lot of data to sync up again, so you don't really need it to be backed up in real time.  a nightly back-up should be more than sufficient.  Not to mention the fact that many RAID setups store data in a proprietary format (i.e. not regular straight up FAT32 or the like), so if your RAID controller goes down, you need to be able to buy the exact same model to be able to retreive your data.  I've heard more than enough horrow stories where someone bought a cheap consumer-grade RAID card, the RAID controller breaks or something happens to it, and then they can't recover ANY of their data.  it sucks but it could happen...

edemille

I'm sure these have been posted somewhere here before, but I've got a couple of these and for me, they're fantastic:

http://www.supermediastore.com/cd-dvd-storage-case-aluminum-metal-like-390-capacity.html

The sleeves have the hanging file folder deal and come with a nice printed label on each sleeve (ie,  329  /  330).  The sleeves are good quality, soft material both sides.  The inside of the case is a velvet-esque material...etc etc.  I really dig them.  Sounds like I have a similar system as Jason...a master excel file with all the show info and a DVD number column in the spreadsheet telling me which DVD the show is on.  I stopped burning audio discs a while back...I listen to almost everything straight from my harddrive and/or DVD these days.  For an hour plus drive somewhere I would burn a show to listen in the car, but since my son decided that the CD slot in the car looked like a perfect place for any coins he found that doesn't work so well anymore  :|

cleech74

At this point, barring any major catastrophic Media disaster or gov't intervention, these collections will exist thru the masses.  Like the Force. :-)

I've given up on conventional thinking, on the way to save All media.  It's time to move forward.

2 Reel, Vinyl, 8-Track, Maxell XLII, CD, DAT, Mp3, SHN, FLAC, all in the past.

What's next?  Really.
"...ruminations of the end of empire, what it is like for a society to no longer have the will to pull itself as a whole, as a single entity, forward. It is a recipe for the disenfranchisement of significant portions of the country, for a divorce of one America from the other" -David Simon

CRAZYED

I think you guys need to look at Raid 5 not Raid 1 (mirroring).  Raid is without question the way to go IMO.  Raid 5 requires a minimum of 3 disks.  You end up sacrificing one hard drive for parity and the rest are for storage.  It keeps you 100% redundant but the disk cost is lower than raid 1.  For example i've got a raid 5 setup with 3x400gig drives which gives me 800gig useable 2 for storage 1 for parity.  I went with a higher end raid card that supports up to 6 drives and online capacity expansion.  Now that i've got some extra cash i'm going to pickup another 1 or 2 400gig drives, plug them in and i'll be up to 1200 or 1600gig usable.

Raid 5 is a common practice (pretty much a best practice) within IT EVERYWHERE outside the home user.  If you are a serious collector with a large collection, if you are thinking about storing everything "online" and not considering some sort of RAID setup you're just setting yourself up for a large loss of data some point down the road.

Of course everything is still burned to dvd-r for my second line of defense.  I still have a lot of other hard drives that arent included in my raid setup yet, but I mean if one of those other 400gig drives i have dies, it is a SUPER PITA to restore 400gigs from dvd.  IMO it's easily worth it to sacrifice on drive for the parity disk, i mean its like $80 these days.  Hard drives are cheaper than they ever have, if you're a serious collector take the plunge, not the risk of not being redundant.