News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R2/W04: 07-31-1997 Shoreline Amphitheater, Mountain View, CA

Started by sophist, March 02, 2008, 08:36:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sophist

Phish
1997/07/31

m4a source:
QuoteSource: [FOB] Schoeps MK5 cardioids -> Oade Custom Pre-Amp -> Sony SBM-1
At 44.1Khz [Section 102; Row M]

Transfer: Master DAT -> clone -> my DAT clone -> Tascam DA-20MKII -> Turtle Beach Montego Home Studio ->Soundforge 4.5* -> SHN

Quote07-31-97 Shoreline Ampitheatre, Mountain View, CA

1: Ghost-> Ya Mar, Dogs Stole Things, Limb By Limb, Dirt, Maze, Glide, I Saw It Again, You Enjoy Myself

2: Runaway Jim*-> When the Circus Comes, Vultures, McGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters -> Mike's Song -> I Am Hydrogen -> Weekapaug Groove^

E: Cinnamon Girl

*With "Sweet Home Alabama" tease at beginning.  ^Trey thanks Bill Graham Productions and the Phish crew, talks about keeping the spirit of Jerry Garcia alive through music, and wishes a Happy Birthday to Jerry Garcia.  Jerry and the Dead had played many a time at Shoreline, and Jerry's birthday was the next day (teases of "Happy Birthday" and "Can't You Hear Me Knocking?" at the end).

m4a downloads: http://www.sendspace.com/file/t58crp

Lossless download:  http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=513572
(Be sure to thank August for seeding the lossless download). 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

WillBreathes

tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither

rowjimmy

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

August

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=513572

QuotePhish
Shoreline Amphitheatre
Mountain View, CA
July 31, 1997

Source: Schoeps MK41's>Schoeps KCY 250/5 Active Cable>Schoeps VMS02IB>Sony SBM-1>Sony TCD-D100(@16Bit/44.1khz)

Recorded FOB By Keith Litzenberger from Section 102 Row P Seat 21

Transfer: DAT MASTER>Sony TCD-D100>Edirol R-4>Wavelab 5(Fades)>CDWAV>FLAC16

Unlike the previous transfer of this source by Jason Sobel, this is from my DAT master and does not have the dropouts that were present on the clone he transferred.

Set One:

Ghost>
Ya Mar>
Dogs Stole Things
Limb By Limb
Dirt>
Maze
Glide
I Saw It Again
You Enjoy Myself

Set Two:

Runaway Jim>
When The Circus Comes To Town
Vultures
McGrupp and the Watchful Horsemasters>
Mike's Song>
I Am Hydrogen>
Weekapaug Groove
crowd*

Encore:
Cinnamon Girl

Set One requires 2 Discs. I would suggest splitting the 1st set after Glide.
* By Removing the crowd track, the whole 2nd set will fit on 1 80min CD.

a

sophist

shoreline99

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

antelope19

Nice Pick!  Haven't listened to this one in a while.  Thanks for seeding Aug!
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

August

Ghost - Great opener. Still "new". Very laid back. Not a particularly noteworthy version but is pretty funky and serves it's purpose of being a sweet opener.

Yamar - Always great during a Summer first set. Fluid TRey solo like "Whoa". Quite extended with a big tease of Rift. Spaces out into >

DST - This starts some more new stuff. Played well but hate this song.

LxL - Not my favorite tune, but this has a pretty freakin' good jam. Really a solid version. Trey puts Fish on the spot with his inhuman drum beat.

Dirt - Perfect version with Trey's tone sounding incredible.

Maze - Intense Trey solo section, for serious. Too light out for the killer strobes, though.

Glide - Pretty big kickdown. Last was 11-30-1996 (50) and the next was 07-29-1998 (60). Good version.

Again - This is when I still liked this song. They absolutely nail the section where they slow it down.

YEM - Love the Page solo during the tramps section. He leads the beginning of the jam then Trey comes in with his Whammy pedal rocking a weird step below/above. Jam really heats up ~18 minutes in. No DnB section...

Jim - Sweet Home AL tease beforehand. Kind of a dark jam with Trey using his wah. Nice major jam ~13 which gets kinda out there. The last two minutes are great. Triumphant sounding with a BUTTERY segue into >

Circus - Truly a perfect version.

VUltures - New. This is when I liked this song, too.

McGrupp - NOt the biggest fan. OK version and was unfinished...

Mike's - Very focused first half of the jam with Trey rocking those wah leads. VERY dark F section, yo.

H2 - Tight

Week - Cool Birthday tease for Jerry. Nice jam with a "CYHMK" ending.

Cinnamon - Last time played.

Great show/pick.
I give it a meaty B+.
a

jedifunk

not my favorite of shows... even from summer 97.  and i always seem to get flack about it...  its a solid show, no doubt, but not the beesknees as some make it out to be... i'll agree with aug, a solid B to B+

highlights from my perspective

- ghost > yamar... great opening combo
- limb... iirc this is the show where trey talks about fish trying the "insane human drum beat ending" in the dress & the suit.
- jim->circus ... sweet jam, great segue into circus
- mikes groove... solid, hard hitting mikes... and iirc this is one of those paugs where they try to play it so fast that your head falls off... and it has the alternate ending.

- btw, not a big fan of shoreline... i've always felt it was an overhyped venue... and that the shows have always been average.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

sophist

Set I

Ghost-
Slow and funky start, Nice solo by Page @ 1:35 mark.  Jam starts off slow and is funky, nice build. 
Page and Trey do a wonderful job of laying down the funk.  Mike and Fish keep the groove while Page layers.  Great lines by Trey @ ~6:00 mark (cool theme).  Jam begins to peak at the ~7:00 mark.  Intense lines by Trey and the jam builds even more, nice dissonance
@ ~8:40 mark -> Mike leads jam.  Nice theme inspired by Mike @ 9:30 mark, leads to funky section @ 10:00 mark. 
Trey has a really good chromatic run during this part.  Overall its a solid version,  Nice segue into

Ya Mar-
Standard verse, chorus, etc.  The jam is where it gets interesting. Melodic playing by Trey to start the jam,
and the boys begin take off @ the 7:00 minute mark.  Interesting section in the middle of the jam which leads
to Trey's solo.  Nice palm muting by Trey -> main theme -> variation.  Def a unique version of the song, and
Fish does some wonderful Drumming during the jam. 

Dog Stole Things-
Standard Version, and it is played very tightly.  I would also note this as a "Ya Mar -> Dog Stole Things" in the
Setlist.  The segue is cool, but this song gets old fast to me.  I happen to like here because it was
a new tune at the time and the placement is good.  Trey takes a good solo. 

Limb by Limb-
I love Limb by Limb's as they always seem to be full of energy.  This is one of the songs that showcases
the band and Tom at their best in my opinion.  The lyrics and music are very powerful to me.  Such imagery. 
This is a spectacular version of the song.  The band is very tight and Trey absolutely rips on the solo. 
The vocals are spot on as well. Try is just on during this version.     

Dirt-
Nice version, Trey's solo in this song is always very powerful to me.  Again, this Tom at his best. 

Maze-
Smoking solo by Trey ~3:00 mark.  Page then rips it after Trey and builds the jam into an insane level of entropy.
I always dig Page during Maze, its a song where he shows his chops, and this version he is in fine form. 
Jam buildsinto this very intense wall of sonic textures.  Great version. 

Glide-
Standard.  (Maybe a piss break for some folks, not for me, as I happen to like this song) 

I Saw It Again-
Standard version.  Nice shred work by Trey.  This song is like DST to me, but I like that were playing the new
songs during the Summer tour.  Decent placement. 

You Enjoy Myself-
I couldn't think of a better way to end a set than with a half hour You Enjoy Myself.  This version brings the
funk full circle and is void of that weak tot action (that's my one obscure Sonic reference). 
Excellent work by the boys here.  The composition is nailed for the most part, a few errors, but that's to
be expected.  The jam really takes off and finds a nice peak.  Trey and Page shine in particular. 

Set Break. 

Set I is a 8/10 for me.  Solid setlist and song placement.  Well played versions, but nothing epic happened. 

cactusfan

this is a pretty hot show.

what i like most is the dark vibe to a lot of the jams.
as aug noted, even dogs stole things, which i normally hate, sounds great coming out of that evil ya mar.

ghost, yem, jim and mike's are all dark and exploratory.

not my favorite summer '97, but a good ride.

rowjimmy

* rowjimmy adds this bitch to the ipod for his travels

sophist

Set II

Runaway Jim- 
the jam starts off normal and develops slowly into this dark theme, and also contains some
funky jamming throughout the jam.  Very original version of the song, and one of the more experimental
Jims in my opinion. 

Circus-
standard version but always a treat.  Nice version and placement. 

Vultures-
standard

McGrupp-
unfinished version, nice playing by the boys. 

Mike's Song -> Hydrogen -> Weekapaug-
This is the highlight of the set for me.  Great version.

Cinnamon Girl-
meh

Second set is a 8/10 as well for me.  Overall this show is a solid B for me. 

rowjimmy

BTW- I have to call "Foul" on this pick
No Stash, Sample or Sparkle... wtf?