News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Have you heard about...? (Politics edition)

Started by VDB, November 30, 2010, 10:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phil

Quote from: slslbs on January 09, 2011, 08:12:14 AM
from Michael Moores twitter
Quotef a Detroit Muslim put a map on the web w/crosshairs on 20 pols, then 1 of them got shot, where would he b sitting right now? Just asking.

That's why I hate Michael Moore. If sarah palin happened to be muslim, the map she posted would have still been just as bad. I think the map was over the line regardless of context, though it in no way makes any of this her fault. The two are not even related.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

PIE-GUY

i can't watch any of those political shows, but Olberman sometimes hits the nail on the head...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/40983401#40983401
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

nab

Hearing about this yesterday made me sick. 

This country needs a re-awakening and the political deck needs to be shuffled so that our conceptions of right and left are no longer so vitriolic. 

The unfortunate truth, from my perspective, is that elites from the right and the left are both working in concert to bankrupt the nation, to secure corporate control, and to keep people confused. 

All this is being accomplished through a well orchestrated "culture war" that presents reality in strictly binary terms and a "you're with us or against us" attitude.  The end result has been the division of the populace and the concentration of ideology on both sides of the political divide.

In today's world, it is too easy for  a mad man to find justification for his actions through our political talking heads.  Unfortunately, talking heads on the  right have started to subversively advocate violence as a political action, often using quasi-constitutional justifications.  In our politically divisive atmosphere, it won't be long until the mad men (or women) on the left respond in kind advocating either retaliatory violence or tighter governmental control.  Either way, the ability of the average citizen to leverage political clout will diminish as power is concentrated on both ends of the political/philosophical spectrum and elites continue to exercise domination over our country's various forms of capital.   

rowjimmy

Quote from: phil on January 09, 2011, 11:10:36 AM
Quotef a Detroit Muslim put a map on the web w/crosshairs on 20 pols, then 1 of them got shot, where would he b sitting right now? Just asking.

That's why I hate Michael Moore. If sarah palin happened to be muslim, the map she posted would have still been just as bad. I think the map was over the line regardless of context, though it in no way makes any of this her fault. The two are not even related.

You hate Michael Moore because he's right?

sls.stormyrider

Moore didn't say it was her fault.

He pointed out the obvious. the right wing rhetoric has been violent and hateful, but if anyone "not American enough" for them complains, then they spew more hate.
remember the campaign of 08 when Obama's pastor was critical of the US. Even though Obama himself never made those statements, Obama himself was taken to task. I'm not arguing that BO shouldn't have dissociated himself sooner than he eventually did, but SP and many  others (who were called out in Olberman's vid) are constantly using violent metaphors and are never called out for it by GOP members of congress and Senate.

You really don't think there is a relationship between this rhetoric and violence? I'll take it on faith that SP really didn't want her shot, and she was using a "figure of speech". But there are enough crazy people out there, that someome will take it literally.
There have been enough other close calls.

Moore is right - a black Muslim from detroit would be in jail, with SP and Beck calling for his execution.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

mbw

Quote from: slslbs on January 09, 2011, 12:54:17 PM
Moore is right - a black Muslim from detroit would be in jail, with SP and Beck calling for his execution.

yup.  hell, just last week tucker carlson said michael vick should be executed.

danje

That Sarah Palin map thing is pretty fucking wild after the fact.

Wow.

Poster Nutbag

and how do you even know this, after the FBI looked over his facebook/My-Space pages they clearly found rhetoric showing that he is berated at the politics taking place in this country and obviously moved to an extreme enough nature to shoot Giffords in the head at point blank range... The only thing that isn't out there yet, is why he chose Giffords, and it could very well be because of this list...
Control for smilers can't be bought...

"Your answer is silly. What'd do you want the song to do? End world hunger?
It's a fucking Phish song, some of them are very complex compositions, some are not.

This one with its complex vocal arrangement falls right in between.
But that and a hook aren't enough so I'll let Trey know his songs have to start giving out handys." RJ

phil

Quote from: Poster Nutbag on January 09, 2011, 01:41:36 PM

and how do you even know this, after the FBI looked over his facebook/My-Space pages they clearly found rhetoric showing that he is berated at the politics taking place in this country and obviously moved to an extreme enough nature to shoot Giffords in the head at point blank range... The only thing that isn't out there yet, is why he chose Giffords, and it could very well be because of this list...

How dudeman interpreted it doesn't have anything to do with how it was intended. I guess my remark was meant to capture the fact that instead of offering words of sympathy for the victims, Moore chose to use the event to make a snide remark about those he opposes politically.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

guyforget

it might be a little provocative for you, phil, but there are conversations that need to be had along w/ the candle light vigils. 
-AD_

VDB

Palin staffer defending the target map:

Quote"We never ever, ever intended it to be gun sights." ... Rather, she said, that it was simply "crosshairs that you would see on a map." ... There is "nothing irresponsible about our graphic."

Crosshairs on a map? How fucking stupid does this person think we all are?

This is vile disingenuity of the highest order. Who in the world is expected to believe this bullshit?
Is this still Wombat?

mbw

Quote from: guyforget on January 09, 2011, 02:36:03 PM
it might be a little provocative for you, phil, but there are conversations that need to be had along w/ the candle light vigils.

+k in my head.

nab

Like:

Where do we have, in this guy's words, the admission that this was a politically motivated act based on some inspiration he garnered from a prominent right wing figurehead?

Has this come to light? (Serious question here)

Or,
Is the left just having a field day with suppositions and causation, and doing exactly what phil is suggesting Moore is doing?

VDB

Quote from: nab on January 09, 2011, 02:49:57 PM

Like:

Where do we have, in this guy's words, the admission that this was a politically motivated act based on some inspiration he garnered from a prominent right wing figurehead?

Or,
Is the left just having a field day with suppositions and causation, and doing exactly what phil is suggesting Moore is doing?

Important questions. I for one am more than willing to reserve judgment about the lunatic's motivation until that can be determined. But in the meantime, it's still fair to say things like, "Hey, maybe we shouldn't use things like crosshairs and targets and 'reload' and '2nd Amendment remedies' when talking about our political opponents. Ya know, just in case some unstable whackjob somewhere might be listening." It should be plainly obvious to thinking people that this kind of hyperactive rhetoric only served the purpose of riling up political constituencies, and it is both irresponsible and cynical -- there are countless other ways to make one's arguments without having to rely on sly references to violent insurrection. If nothing else, this incident has prompted an overdue conversation that might have been dismissed previously as oversensitive, liberal whining.

And then for a Palin rep to try and tell us the sky is green, that's inexcusable. Why didn't she just have the guts to come out and say, "Wait until we know the shooter's motives before condemning us. We won't be held accountable for the actions of a lone nut job."
Is this still Wombat?

mbw

Quote from: nab on January 09, 2011, 02:49:57 PM

Like:

Or,

i believe its more a commentary on the tone of politics right now on.  SP continually uses gun metaphors, as did giffords opponent jesse kelly:

whether or not this deranged person was a follower of either isn't the issue.  he clearly had issues with the  government and used a gun to make his point. 

the point of moore and others pointing this out is that this type of lexicon has no place in politics and has real, horrible consequences.