News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Lotus Fall 2009

Started by McGrupp, August 06, 2009, 12:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gah

Quote from: JustJezmund on October 26, 2009, 12:33:53 PM
damn i miss seeing these guys. wtf though, these dudes are from philly and not one philly show this fall.

maybe they're planning a NYE show?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

McGrupp

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on October 26, 2009, 12:36:00 PM
I saw Lotus last weekend here in Minneapolis and honesty thought it was terrible.

I really liked them a few years ago, but I guess I'm not really a fan of their new stuff.  Seems like they are trying to stray away from all the dancey, untz, stuff (which imo was all that they were good at)

A lot of their jams were much more rocky, and guitar solo orientated.  I give them props for trying something new, but it just didn't do much for me.

Also, they had a different drummer playing than usual.... not sure if he is new, or was just filling in.  Either way, he pretty much played the same beat and tempo for 2 hours.

sorry to dump on yer thread mcgrupp... just my 2 cents

Not surprised at all -- last time I saw them was about a year ago, and they were definitely heading in that direction. I think their dancey stuff was way better too. They just released a new EP, and I wasn't a fan.

Having said that, a lot of lotus shows are hit-or-miss. You might have caught them on a bad night...but from what you described, it sounds like its just where they're at right now. Disappointing to hear - back in 07 they used to RIP it. Oh well.

Looks like you may have dissuaded me from hitting the B-more show....THANKS A LOT wtu   :| :-P
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

gah

One and only time I saw them was at Star Hill in 07 and I danced my ass off that night. It was great. But had been listening to their Germination album in the car A LOT last week.

McGrupp

The best lotus I've ever heard is from All Good 07. I'll sendspace it in a bit. Only 4 tunes I believe, but KILLER. Talk about energy. I think a lot of people there hadn't heard of lotus, and almost everybody was looking for their faces after the show. Nuts.

I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

justjezmund

Quote from: goodabouthood on October 26, 2009, 12:38:26 PM
Quote from: JustJezmund on October 26, 2009, 12:33:53 PM
damn i miss seeing these guys. wtf though, these dudes are from philly and not one philly show this fall.

maybe they're planning a NYE show?
that would be cool seeing as i will prob not be hitting up a phish nye
Quote from: McGrupp on October 26, 2009, 01:03:52 PM
The best lotus I've ever heard is from All Good 07. I'll sendspace it in a bit. Only 4 tunes I believe, but KILLER. Talk about energy. I think a lot of people there hadn't heard of lotus, and almost everybody was looking for their faces after the show. Nuts.
ya i was there, sick set iirc
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

antelope19

There are a few recordings up on the archive.

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3ALotus%20AND%20year%3A%222007%22
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

McGrupp

Quote from: antelope19 on October 26, 2009, 01:28:12 PM

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3ALotus%20AND%20year%3A%222007%22

Good looking out!

http://www.archive.org/details/lotus2007-07-13.mk21.nbox.flac16

Thats the one ^^^

I'd say listen to the whole thing, but if you're short on time give "Wax" and "Flower Sermon > Sunrain" a listen. Both have ORGASMIC peaks. Thats right, orgasmic.

gah

Quote from: McGrupp on October 26, 2009, 01:31:04 PM
Quote from: antelope19 on October 26, 2009, 01:28:12 PM

Good looking out!

http://www.archive.org/details/lotus2007-07-13.mk21.nbox.flac16

Thats the one ^^^

I'd say listen to the whole thing, but if you're short on time give "Wax" and "Flower Sermon > Sunrain" a listen. Both have ORGASMIC peaks. Thats right, orgasmic.

Spend the last hour listening to this. Good stuff!
:clap:

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: goodabouthood on October 26, 2009, 12:58:28 PM
One and only time I saw them was at Star Hill in 07 and I danced my ass off that night. It was great. But had been listening to their Germination album in the car A LOT last week.

Germination is awesome.  I listened to it a TON a while back, really good, dancable grooves....

Unfortunately, the show this past weekend was not even close to as fun as that album imo.

Quote from: McGrupp on October 26, 2009, 12:50:55 PM
Looks like you may have dissuaded me from hitting the B-more show....THANKS A LOT wtu   :| :-P

Don't let me deter you.  It's not like there is anything better you could be doing halloween weekend....

oh, wait.... :-D
Bring in the dude!

McGrupp

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on October 26, 2009, 03:54:23 PM

Germination is awesome.  I listened to it a TON a while back, really good, dancable grooves....

Unfortunately, the show this past weekend was not even close to as fun as that album imo.

Don't let me deter you.  It's not like there is anything better you could be doing halloween weekend....

:shakehead:

Low blow, dude. Low blow.

:shakehead:

sophist

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on October 26, 2009, 03:54:23 PM

oh no Scotty didn't. 

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!