News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Podcast Recommendations

Started by VDB, May 09, 2017, 01:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VDB

I like to listen to podcasts at the gym and on drives. Lay your series/episode recommendations on me. I'll share as well.

RJ can go first.
Is this still Wombat?

barnesy305

Do you want comedy, sports, interviews, true crime, music? My job is loud and monotonous so I run thru about 30 hours of podcasts a week lol.

VDB

I listen to all kinds of stuff. As long as it's compelling or entertaining.
Is this still Wombat?

birdman

I like Marc Marons WTF podcast, Tom marshalls under the scales, the helping friendly/Brokedown podcast of course, This American Life, Ted radio hour, Joe Rogan, stuff you missed in history class
Paug FTMFW!

emay

This American Life

Joe Rogan Podacast

If you have any interest in stand up comedy a local comedian in Denver records this podcast at the coffee shop next to my house, its called Talking Shop. He interviews comics that come to town and discuss how they got started and whats most difficult for them for stand up etc.

Serial, the serial spin off too, cant remember the name

barnesy305

Along with what those guys suggested, I also listen to doughboys, how did this get made, crimetown,  s-town, beyond yacht rock, nerdist, in the dark, risk and comedy bang bang. Also if you never heard it, analyze phish is a classic. RIP Harris.

emay

How Did this get Made? is a good one too, comedians rip apart shitty movies on how and why it got a remake or a sequel

jay and silent bob get old podcast as well

Doug Loves Movies podcast (attending live recording of this on sunday with a buddy, stoked!) Doug Benson (super high me, etc) gets some comedian special guests to talk about love for movies and certain movies

VDB

Yep, I've finally gotten around to checking out Joe Rogan's podcast. His recent episodes with Ron Miscavige (estranged father of Scientology potentate David Miscavige) and Dennis McKenna (psychonaut and brother of the late Terence McKenna) are both great.

I tried a bit of Analyze Phish once and it just didn't do much for me.
Is this still Wombat?

VDB

Quote from: emayPhishyCO on May 10, 2017, 01:07:35 PM
How Did this get Made?

I've very much enjoyed episodes of that, but I got for ones where I've actually seen the films they talk about. I assume otherwise a bit gets lost. Have you found that to be the case? Or does it not matter?
Is this still Wombat?

emay

Quote from: VDB on May 10, 2017, 01:15:24 PM
How Did this get Made?

I've very much enjoyed episodes of that, but I got for ones where I've actually seen the films they talk about. I assume otherwise a bit gets lost. Have you found that to be the case? Or does it not matter?

me and my friend will actually watch some of the movie before and make our own comments/predictions/jokes and then when its gets unbearable we will turn on the podcast and see what they have to say.

you can get the same laugh factor if you search for the specific scenes on youtube but they do lose context sometimes.

barnesy305

Quote from: emayPhishyCO on May 10, 2017, 01:28:30 PM
How Did this get Made?

me and my friend will actually watch some of the movie before and make our own comments/predictions/jokes and then when its gets unbearable we will turn on the podcast and see what they have to say.

you can get the same laugh factor if you search for the specific scenes on youtube but they do lose context sometimes.

Sometimes the guest helps me with movies I've never seen. For example they did From Justin to Kelly, which is never seen, with Nick Kroll and I loved it. I actually watched the movie because of the episode.

rowjimmy

The more I make the less time I have to listen...
Great suggestions so far but forgive me if I re-iterate some, it's easier to rattle off a list than to scroll up. Consider any repeats a confirmation.

Beyond The Pond is a new one that's a great idea and I'm hoping will grow into a really great show. They take a Phish jam, play some of it then relate it to non-Phish music.
S-Town was amazing.
Under The Scales (Tom Marshall) is very cool
Accused is a true-crime piece on a single murder in the early 70's at Miami U (Ohio).
The DeadPod - The Professor plays Dead shows.
All Songs Considered - good, often entertaining outlet for keeping up with new music
Nerdist - entertainment interviews comedy leaning but not always. Format has begun to vary as Hardwick and co. get more work away from the podcast.
WTF with Marc Maron - This and Nerdist are the classic long-form interviews.

VDB

Quote from: barnesy305 on May 10, 2017, 01:50:49 PM
Quote from: emayPhishyCO on May 10, 2017, 01:28:30 PM
How Did this get Made?

Sometimes the guest helps me with movies I've never seen. For example they did From Justin to Kelly, which is never seen, with Nick Kroll and I loved it. I actually watched the movie because of the episode.

The Con Air episode is fantastic.
Is this still Wombat?

WillBreathes

Monday Morning Podcast with Billy Redbush Burr.
tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither