News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

12, 13, 20 years ago we were .....

Started by lifeboy13, July 23, 2011, 10:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nedstruzz

Since tomorrow is a Saturday and I won't be on a computer I'm going to post this now.

25 years since my second show.  This is pretty much the Portland High School gym and I was a freshman.  Phish started 1993 in a high school gym and finished selling out the Civic Center on 12/30 and Worcester on 12/31.  Pretty big year for our guys.

PHISH, WEDNESDAY 02/03/1993
PORTLAND EXPO
Portland, ME
SET 1: Loving Cup[1], Rift, Fee[2] > Llama, The Wedge[3], Divided Sky, I Didn't Know[4], My Friend, My Friend[5], Poor Heart > Guelah Papyrus, David Bowie

SET 2: Runaway Jim, It's Ice > Tweezer[6], The Horse[7] > Silent in the Morning > Sparkle, You Enjoy Myself [6] > Lifeboy[3], Hold Your Head Up > Terrapin > Big Ball Jam[8] > Terrapin > Hold Your Head Up, Possum

ENCORE: Amazing Grace[9], Tweezer Reprise

[1] Phish debut.
[2] Trey sang verses through megaphone.
[3] Debut.
[4] Fish on trombone.
[5] Beginning featured Trey on acoustic guitar.
[6] "Water Your Team in a Beehive I'm a Sent You" lyrics.
[7] Trey on acoustic guitar.
[8] Fish on vaccum.
[9] Phish debut; without amplification.

Loving Cup made its Phish debut at this show and was the first tune played on Page's new baby grand. Page teased Call to the Post before Loving Cup. This show also featured the debuts of Wedge and Lifeboy. Trey sang the verses of Fee through a megaphone. I Didn't Know featured Fish on trombone, the beginning of My Friend and all of Horse featured Trey on acoustic guitar, and Big Ball Jam featured Fish on vacuum. Tweezer and YEM both contained "Water Your Team in a Beehive I'm a Sent You" lyrics. YEM also contained a My Girl tease and Terrapin (after Big Ball Jam) contained I Feel Free teases from Page. Trey teased You Don't Love Me in Possum. The Amazing Grace encore (also a Phish debut) was performed without amplification.

Notes form Phish.com

In the weeks leading up to this show, Fast Enough For You was released as the 1st single from "Rift", Fish donated a 1967 Electrolux vacuum to the Hard Rock Cafe' in Boston at a "Rift" release party (where the band sang Amazing Grace) and, the day before (2/2/93) "Rift" was released on Elektra. The Portland Exposition Building was a historic gymnasium with a capacity of 2,700. The venue, opened in 1914, was the second oldest continuously-used arena in the U.S. behind Boston's Matthews Arena, where Phish played their previous show. This was Page's 1st show playing his new Yamaha C7 Baby Grand Piano, which he has played ever since. He had reportedly said he wouldn't play Loving Cup until he got one. Not surprisingly, the show opened with the 1st performance of Loving Cup as well as the 1st performances of The Wedge, Lifeboy and Amazing Grace. Trey sang the verses of Fee through his megaphone and My Friend My Friend began, for the first time, with Trey on acoustic guitar. Runaway Jim included a tease of My Girl. Trey played The Horse on acoustic guitar, switching to electric for Silent In The Morning. You Enjoy Myself included another tease of My Girl and the alternative lyrics "Water Your Team in a Beehive I'm a Sent You". This phrase came from a "what are you saying after 'Boy', Man, God, Shit'"? letter in the Feb 93 Phish Update that Mike answered, "in 'You Enjoy Myself,' after 'shit,' we say, 'Water you team in a bee hive, I'm a sent you." The public debut of Amazing Grace was performed without microphones. This was the first date listed in the Feb 93 Phish Update, which read in part: "The dates on this newsletter are for the first month of a North American tour that will continue into early May. The next newsletter will be mailed in late January and will hopefully contain the remainder of the tour. Our new album for Elektra, Rift, is being shipped to stores on Jan. 29th and should be available by Feb. 3rd. Tickets, etc: As our fan base grows we are faced with new problems that don't have easy solutions. A number of shows this fall sold out very quickly, and with these sell-outs came a number of unfortunate situations. Tickets for several shows were available at high prices through "ticket brokers". Purchasing tickets from these agencies will only fuel them to drive the prices up and try to get more tickets the next time we play in the area. The only way to eliminate this problem is to refrain from purchasing tickets from them. It is a supply and demand situation and if they feel there is no demand, they won't bother with us. Linked to the brokers problem is the issue of counterfeit tickets. Counterfeit tickets have been discovered at several shows, often being sold right outside the venues. These tickets may appear to be good imitations, but most ticket takers can easily distinguish between real and fake tickets. We urge you not to purchase tickets from anywhere or anyone except from an authorized ticket outlet. If you do so, you will be contributing to a growing problem that casts an ugly light on an otherwise positive situation. If we all cooperate now, we can nip this problem in the bud before it gets out of hand. We are currently looking into alternative ticketing situations (mail order, etc.) to help make tickets more available to fans."

VA $l!m

93 was indeed transformative. i remember being so hyped for Rift to come out and all the cool posters and stuff in the record store for its release.

^crazy show BTW
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: Nedstruzz on February 02, 2018, 12:03:05 PM
Since tomorrow is a Saturday and I won't be on a computer I'm going to post this now.

25 years since my second show.  This is pretty much the Portland High School gym and I was a freshman.  Phish started 1993 in a high school gym and finished selling out the Civic Center on 12/30 and Worcester on 12/31.  Pretty big year for our guys.

PHISH, WEDNESDAY 02/03/1993
PORTLAND EXPO
Portland, ME
SET 1: Loving Cup[1], Rift, Fee[2] > Llama, The Wedge[3], Divided Sky, I Didn't Know[4], My Friend, My Friend[5], Poor Heart > Guelah Papyrus, David Bowie

SET 2: Runaway Jim, It's Ice > Tweezer[6], The Horse[7] > Silent in the Morning > Sparkle, You Enjoy Myself [6] > Lifeboy[3], Hold Your Head Up > Terrapin > Big Ball Jam[8] > Terrapin > Hold Your Head Up, Possum

ENCORE: Amazing Grace[9], Tweezer Reprise

[1] Phish debut.
[2] Trey sang verses through megaphone.
[3] Debut.
[4] Fish on trombone.
[5] Beginning featured Trey on acoustic guitar.
[6] "Water Your Team in a Beehive I'm a Sent You" lyrics.
[7] Trey on acoustic guitar.
[8] Fish on vaccum.
[9] Phish debut; without amplification.

Loving Cup made its Phish debut at this show and was the first tune played on Page's new baby grand. Page teased Call to the Post before Loving Cup. This show also featured the debuts of Wedge and Lifeboy. Trey sang the verses of Fee through a megaphone. I Didn't Know featured Fish on trombone, the beginning of My Friend and all of Horse featured Trey on acoustic guitar, and Big Ball Jam featured Fish on vacuum. Tweezer and YEM both contained "Water Your Team in a Beehive I'm a Sent You" lyrics. YEM also contained a My Girl tease and Terrapin (after Big Ball Jam) contained I Feel Free teases from Page. Trey teased You Don't Love Me in Possum. The Amazing Grace encore (also a Phish debut) was performed without amplification.

Notes form Phish.com

In the weeks leading up to this show, Fast Enough For You was released as the 1st single from "Rift", Fish donated a 1967 Electrolux vacuum to the Hard Rock Cafe' in Boston at a "Rift" release party (where the band sang Amazing Grace) and, the day before (2/2/93) "Rift" was released on Elektra. The Portland Exposition Building was a historic gymnasium with a capacity of 2,700. The venue, opened in 1914, was the second oldest continuously-used arena in the U.S. behind Boston's Matthews Arena, where Phish played their previous show. This was Page's 1st show playing his new Yamaha C7 Baby Grand Piano, which he has played ever since. He had reportedly said he wouldn't play Loving Cup until he got one. Not surprisingly, the show opened with the 1st performance of Loving Cup as well as the 1st performances of The Wedge, Lifeboy and Amazing Grace. Trey sang the verses of Fee through his megaphone and My Friend My Friend began, for the first time, with Trey on acoustic guitar. Runaway Jim included a tease of My Girl. Trey played The Horse on acoustic guitar, switching to electric for Silent In The Morning. You Enjoy Myself included another tease of My Girl and the alternative lyrics "Water Your Team in a Beehive I'm a Sent You". This phrase came from a "what are you saying after 'Boy', Man, God, Shit'"? letter in the Feb 93 Phish Update that Mike answered, "in 'You Enjoy Myself,' after 'shit,' we say, 'Water you team in a bee hive, I'm a sent you." The public debut of Amazing Grace was performed without microphones. This was the first date listed in the Feb 93 Phish Update, which read in part: "The dates on this newsletter are for the first month of a North American tour that will continue into early May. The next newsletter will be mailed in late January and will hopefully contain the remainder of the tour. Our new album for Elektra, Rift, is being shipped to stores on Jan. 29th and should be available by Feb. 3rd. Tickets, etc: As our fan base grows we are faced with new problems that don't have easy solutions. A number of shows this fall sold out very quickly, and with these sell-outs came a number of unfortunate situations. Tickets for several shows were available at high prices through "ticket brokers". Purchasing tickets from these agencies will only fuel them to drive the prices up and try to get more tickets the next time we play in the area. The only way to eliminate this problem is to refrain from purchasing tickets from them. It is a supply and demand situation and if they feel there is no demand, they won't bother with us. Linked to the brokers problem is the issue of counterfeit tickets. Counterfeit tickets have been discovered at several shows, often being sold right outside the venues. These tickets may appear to be good imitations, but most ticket takers can easily distinguish between real and fake tickets. We urge you not to purchase tickets from anywhere or anyone except from an authorized ticket outlet. If you do so, you will be contributing to a growing problem that casts an ugly light on an otherwise positive situation. If we all cooperate now, we can nip this problem in the bud before it gets out of hand. We are currently looking into alternative ticketing situations (mail order, etc.) to help make tickets more available to fans."

Fack yeah!!!!! :rawk: :rawk: :phish: :rawk: :rawk:
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

khalpin

25 years ago today, my first show...

PHISH, SATURDAY 02/13/1993
BOB CARPENTER CENTER, UNIVERSITY OF DELAWARE
Newark, DE   

SET 1: David Bowie, Bouncing Around the Room, Poor Heart > It's Ice > Glide > Rift, Stash, Lawn Boy > Maze, Golgi Apparatus   

SET 2: Runaway Jim, Wilson[1] > Uncle Pen, Tweezer > The Lizards, Llama, You Enjoy Myself, Big Ball Jam > Hold Your Head Up > Lengthwise[2] > Hold Your Head Up, The Squirming Coil, Cavern   

ENCORE: Amazing Grace, Tweezer Reprise   
[1] Simpsons, Oom Pa Pa, and Random Note signals.
[2] Introduced by Fish as "a very nice song, a sad lament, where I am left out naked on the plank (I can get arrested for that these days)" and he directed a crowd sing-along accompaniment to his vacuum solo.
After Stash, Page made an announcement on behalf of the building manager that "for your own safety the aisles must be cleared." Trey then noted that this was the band's first appearance in Delaware, and Trey and Page dedicated Lawn Boy to the state of Delaware. Wilson contained Simpsons, Oom Pa Pa, and Random Note signals. The YEM vocal jam contained a Lion Sleeps Tonight theme. Fish introduced Lengthwise as "a very nice song, a sad lament, where I am left out naked on the plank (I can get arrested for that these days)" and he directed a crowd sing-along accompaniment to his vacuum solo.

PIE-GUY

25 years ago today was my first experience with "you snooze, you lose."

I had tickets, a ride, and a free place to stay for the famed Roxy run. I really had no excuse other than I was a big pussy who finished his first semester at college with a 1.35 GPA and was really scared to miss class and flunk out.

This is what I missed:

QuotePHISH, SATURDAY 02/20/1993
ROXY THEATRE
Atlanta, GA
SET 1: Golgi Apparatus, Foam, The Sloth, Possum > Weigh > All Things Reconsidered, Divided Sky, The Horse[1] > Silent in the Morning > Fluffhead , Cavern

SET 2: Wilson[2] > Reba > Tweezer -> Walk Away -> Tweezer > Glide > Mike's Song[3] -> My Mind's Got a Mind of its Own[4] -> Mike's Song > I Am Hydrogen -> The Vibration of Life -> Kung -> I Am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove -> Have Mercy[4] -> Weekapaug Groove -> Rock and Roll All Nite Jam[5] -> Weekapaug Groove, Fast Enough for You > Big Ball Jam > Hold Your Head Up > Terrapin > Hold Your Head Up -> Harry Hood, Tweezer Reprise

ENCORE: Sleeping Monkey

[1] Trey on acoustic guitar.
[2] Simpsons signal.
[3] Minor lyric changes.
[4] Not played in its entirety.
[5] Chorus sung by Jay von Lehe.
The Horse featured Trey on acoustic guitar. This long version of Wilson included a Simpsons signal and, towards the end, a freakish jam that included an Iron Man tease from Mike. Reba included a tease of the theme from Woody Woodpecker. Tweezer had a Low Rider jam and Straight Out the Sewer quotes from Trey. Glide subsequently included Tweezer teases. Mike's Song featured minor lyric changes, three different Tweezer teases, two different Wilson teases, and other teases of Reba, Lizards, and Stash. During Hydrogen before the Vibration of Life, Mike teased Entrance of the Gladiators. After Kung, Mike quoted NO2. The Rock and Roll All Nite jam was for fan Jay von Lehe, dressed as Kiss' Gene Simmons, who the band brought on stage to sing the song's chorus. Terrapin featured band intros and lots of chatter from Fish, prompting a hurry-up HYHU tease from Page. Fish also performed a lengthy vacuum solo during this tune. The HYHU outro segued into Hood as Fish and Trey switched places. Neither Have Mercy (first since Halloween, 1986, or 669 shows) nor MMGAMOIO were played in their entirety. Walk Away was played for the first time since November 2, 1991 (159 shows). This show was released as part of the Phish At The Roxy box set.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

mehead

Quote from: PIE-GUY on February 20, 2018, 01:42:57 PM
25 years ago today was my first experience with "you snooze, you lose."

I had tickets, a ride, and a free place to stay for the famed Roxy run. I really had no excuse other than I was a big pussy who finished his first semester at college with a 1.35 GPA and was really scared to miss class and flunk out.

This is what I missed:

QuotePHISH, SATURDAY 02/20/1993
ROXY THEATRE
Atlanta, GA
SET 1: Golgi Apparatus, Foam, The Sloth, Possum > Weigh > All Things Reconsidered, Divided Sky, The Horse[1] > Silent in the Morning > Fluffhead , Cavern

SET 2: Wilson[2] > Reba > Tweezer -> Walk Away -> Tweezer > Glide > Mike's Song[3] -> My Mind's Got a Mind of its Own[4] -> Mike's Song > I Am Hydrogen -> The Vibration of Life -> Kung -> I Am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove -> Have Mercy[4] -> Weekapaug Groove -> Rock and Roll All Nite Jam[5] -> Weekapaug Groove, Fast Enough for You > Big Ball Jam > Hold Your Head Up > Terrapin > Hold Your Head Up -> Harry Hood, Tweezer Reprise

ENCORE: Sleeping Monkey

[1] Trey on acoustic guitar.
[2] Simpsons signal.
[3] Minor lyric changes.
[4] Not played in its entirety.
[5] Chorus sung by Jay von Lehe.
The Horse featured Trey on acoustic guitar. This long version of Wilson included a Simpsons signal and, towards the end, a freakish jam that included an Iron Man tease from Mike. Reba included a tease of the theme from Woody Woodpecker. Tweezer had a Low Rider jam and Straight Out the Sewer quotes from Trey. Glide subsequently included Tweezer teases. Mike's Song featured minor lyric changes, three different Tweezer teases, two different Wilson teases, and other teases of Reba, Lizards, and Stash. During Hydrogen before the Vibration of Life, Mike teased Entrance of the Gladiators. After Kung, Mike quoted NO2. The Rock and Roll All Nite jam was for fan Jay von Lehe, dressed as Kiss' Gene Simmons, who the band brought on stage to sing the song's chorus. Terrapin featured band intros and lots of chatter from Fish, prompting a hurry-up HYHU tease from Page. Fish also performed a lengthy vacuum solo during this tune. The HYHU outro segued into Hood as Fish and Trey switched places. Neither Have Mercy (first since Halloween, 1986, or 669 shows) nor MMGAMOIO were played in their entirety. Walk Away was played for the first time since November 2, 1991 (159 shows). This show was released as part of the Phish At The Roxy box set.

So you missed a Cavern to close the first set. Meh.
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

mistercharlie

I just realized that my 10 year anniversary on this site came and went back on Feb. 22nd with little-to-no fanfare. I love this place!  :beers:
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

anthrax

no way hampton was nearly a decade ago  :-o

rowjimmy

August

Can't believe that the Island Tour started TWENTY YEARS ago tonight.
Probably the most memorable 4 night run I caught.
Plus, their first time at Nassau was a bonus as it's my other hometown venue.
First set was a tad loose, but that Twist.

mattstick

For some reason I skipped 4/2

Was pretty cool to get to the lot on 4/3 and hear the buzz about Birds of a Feather and Frankie Says

August

Quote from: mattstick on April 02, 2018, 10:21:06 AM

Was pretty cool to get to the lot on 4/3 and hear the buzz about Birds of a Feather and Frankie Says

Yeah, and everyone was all "did you see the YouTube vids of Twist?"

khalpin

Quote from: August on April 02, 2018, 10:56:18 AM
Quote from: mattstick on April 02, 2018, 10:21:06 AM

Yeah, and everyone was all "did you see the YouTube vids of Twist?"
:hereitisyousentimentalbastard

VA $l!m

after those first 2 shows i originally preferred the 4-2 show. there was something real magic and spooky about that night. 4-3 was more of a straight rager.
still love the punch, stash, wolfmans, sneaking, frankie says, twist, monkey- my type of list.

i think i was pretty tired for 4-3. we had sleep in  the car/hotel parking lots for 2 nights in a row. after that show we finally broke down and got a room in one of those rent by the hour joints on hempstead parkway. there wa a mirror on the celing and everyting.  :mrgreen:
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

Buffalo Budd

That's awesome slim.   :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Pretty sure redrum took his dad to one of the Island shows for his bday.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.