News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

High school to expand alcohol testing

Started by August, January 30, 2007, 05:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

August

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070130/ap_on_re_us/teen_drinking

PEQUANNOCK, N.J. - Some teenagers who drink over the weekend could be in big trouble come Monday morning: A New Jersey school district plans to institute random urine tests capable of detecting whether alcohol was consumed up to 80 hours earlier.

Pequannock Township High, with about 800 students, said it will begin administering the tests next Monday.

"This is a major issue for America," School Superintendent Larrie Reynolds said Tuesday. "There are more kids that die each year in alcohol-related traffic deaths than there are soldiers who have died in
Iraq. The numbers are staggering."

At least one other New Jersey high school, in Middletown, employs the EtG test, which screens for ethyl glucuronide, a substance produced by the body when it metabolizes alcohol.

Pequannock teenagers who participate in sports or other extracurricular activities, or drive to school, are already tested for illegal drugs, under a 2005 program prompted by the heroin overdose of a student.

Students who test positive for alcohol will not be kicked off teams or barred from extracurricular activities. Instead they will receive counseling and their parents will be notified, Reynolds said.

"That's going to give our kids riding in the back seat of someone's car a very powerful reason to say no," he said.

Drug tests, similarly, can detect drug use that occurred days earlier.

The new test worries civil-liberties advocates and others who oppose school drug testing as an invasion of privacy.

"Medical care and treatment are issues between parents and children," said Deborah Jacobs, executive director of the
American Civil Liberties Union of New Jersey.

They also say that common household products such as mouthwash can produce a positive test result. Reynolds said that the test has been recalibrated so that for students to test positive, they would generally have to consume one or two drinks.

The EtG test costs about $20, Reynolds said. The school's overall testing program is funded by a three-year, $120,000 federal grant.

"No one's really taking it seriously. If you want to go to a party, you're still going to go to a party," senior Matt Huber said.

a

Casey Lenahan

No it will kick all kids off of sports teams therefor leaving them nothing left to do but drink more and do more drugs
I owe Aug $20

tet

what about Shabbos/Communion wine?   :roll:

cue the lawsuits....
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

August

Quote from: tet on January 30, 2007, 08:35:27 PM
what about Shabbos/Communion wine?   :roll:

cue the lawsuits....

or, my favorite drink...
NyQuil on the rocks.
a

Guyute

Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

phil

Quote from: Guyute on January 30, 2007, 09:33:15 PM
and this is the school's business why?

my thoughts exactly.

on the one hand, i understand wanting to keep their students safe, but invading their privacy in order to do so is out of line
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

newplanet7

I guess if you get baked with your parents, you'll be all set
Quote from: phan003 on June 16, 2007, 01:41:44 PM
Funny would be applying super glue to your nuts and putting said nuts on her face.  Talk about "seeing the light" and remaining faithful to the indigo girls manifesto.  :wink: 

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 16, 2007, 10:33:26 PM
There's more airbrush on that shot than on a Peterbilt with a flame job.
:lol:

"Gus Johnson Got the key"

ytowndan

Quote from: phil on January 30, 2007, 09:40:37 PM
my thoughts exactly.

on the one hand, i understand wanting to keep their students safe, but invading their privacy in order to do so is out of line

Word.  I agree with them promoting safety.  But they should realize....

Quote"No one's really taking it seriously. If you want to go to a party, you're still going to go to a party," senior Matt Huber said.
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

August

maybe the "cool" moms that let their kids drink in the house, will start hooking
them up with clean urine for Mondays.
a

Casey Lenahan

Quote from: august on January 30, 2007, 09:54:07 PM
maybe the "cool" moms that let their kids drink in the house, will start hooking
them up with clean urine for Mondays.
a

hahaha
I owe Aug $20

sophist

Quote from: august on January 30, 2007, 05:34:38 PM
Pequannock teenagers who participate in sports or other extracurricular activities, or drive to school, are already tested for illegal drugs, under a 2005 program prompted by the heroin overdose of a student.

Students who test positive for alcohol will not be kicked off teams or barred from extracurricular activities. Instead they will receive counseling and their parents will be notified, Reynolds said.

Quote from: tehdead on January 30, 2007, 07:06:57 PM
No it will kick all kids off of sports teams therefor leaving them nothing left to do but drink more and do more drugs

Quote from: august on January 30, 2007, 08:40:30 PM
or, my favorite drink...
NyQuil on the rocks.
a
nyquil is so 90's.  its all about the coricidin cough and cold pill omlette now.
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Guyute

chugging robitussin.  Anyone remember robidosin?
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

sophist

yes. 

not exactly the highlight of my "drug" career. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

ytowndan

Quote from: phan003 on February 01, 2007, 02:18:27 PM
yes. 

not exactly the highlight of my "drug" career. 

:-D
my thoughts exactly
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.