News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Tent Rec's or Experience with Tarptent?

Started by ph92, June 08, 2018, 10:52:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ph92

Hey guys I'm in the market for a new tent. I plan on using this tent this summer for shows, but I also plan on buying a tent that will be good for backpacking as well. That being said I'd prefer a lighterweight/"ultralight" tent. Dual wall would be cool too.

I've been looking at the following tents and was wondering if anyone had any experience. I've kinda narrowed it down to the two Tarptent models. Solid price, raving reviews etc.

Tarptent Moment DW
Tarptent Rainbow
Lunar Solo (sold out unfortunately)

I'm not trying to buy some Dyneema tent or anything crazy, my budget is somewhere around $350-400.
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

gah

I've got the Tarptent Notch, which is great, but you'd need hiking poles to set it up. Which it seems like you wouldn't have if you're just taking them for summer shows, but would be good out on the trail. I've been looking at the Moment as well, but another one to check out would be the Bowfin, because it's free standing.

The Nemo Hornet 1P tent is worth checking out too, and is cheaper than any of the Tarptents.

And I'm a huge fan of the Zpack company (I've got their backpack and sleeping bag) , but their Solplex is gonna be out of the range you're looking at ($555). Ultimately, I'd like to switch to that though.

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

Gundo

The mountainsmith Morrison 2. High quality two person tent on amazon right now for 110. Enough space for bags at your feet and the possibility of knocking boots

emay

Quote from: EdBanky on June 08, 2018, 12:19:34 PM
The mountainsmith Morrison 2. High quality two person tent on amazon right now for 110. Enough space for bags at your feet and the possibility of knocking boots

damn thats a good deal.

ph92

Quote from: gah on June 08, 2018, 11:34:48 AM
I've got the Tarptent Notch, which is great, but you'd need hiking poles to set it up. Which it seems like you wouldn't have if you're just taking them for summer shows, but would be good out on the trail. I've been looking at the Moment as well, but another one to check out would be the Bowfin, because it's free standing.

The Nemo Hornet 1P tent is worth checking out too, and is cheaper than any of the Tarptents.

And I'm a huge fan of the Zpack company (I've got their backpack and sleeping bag) , but their Solplex is gonna be out of the range you're looking at ($555). Ultimately, I'd like to switch to that though.

Yeah I looked at Zpack... and quickly looked elsewhere, they get awesome reviews, but thats just out of my pricerange until I do some more serious trips.

I was thinking about a notch too.  But then I'd need to buy some trekking poles now, which I do normally use when backpacking, so I'm not opposed. But that's just 2 expenses I've got now.

I considered the rainbow cause it can be freestanding with the trecking poles (in the future) and has that nifty "porch" feature with the use of poles.

How is the Notch on interior space, cause the moment has very similar space apparently. I know you're a little smaller than I, but do you have any problems?
Make America Melt Again!

antelope19

I have a 4 man Kelty dome tent and a 2 man North Face. Both have been used multiple Times a year for the last decade+ And both have held up very well. 2 man has been used for backpacking in Zion and the appalachians.

I Purchased them through Campmor at 50% off. Their customer service is awesome and they Constantly run sales.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

gah

Quote from: ph92 on June 08, 2018, 12:30:00 PM

Yeah I looked at Zpack... and quickly looked elsewhere, they get awesome reviews, but thats just out of my pricerange until I do some more serious trips.

I was thinking about a notch too.  But then I'd need to buy some trekking poles now, which I do normally use when backpacking, so I'm not opposed. But that's just 2 expenses I've got now.

I considered the rainbow cause it can be freestanding with the trecking poles (in the future) and has that nifty "porch" feature with the use of poles.

How is the Notch on interior space, cause the moment has very similar space apparently. I know you're a little smaller than I, but do you have any problems?

Notch is totally ok with interior space for me to lay my pad and sleepbag down in and still have room at me head and feet for things. I keep my pack out in the vestibule anyway, it'd be a little crowded down at my feet. The tarptents all have dual entry and double walls, so that's good. The next thing for me was weight, price, and set up, and here was my break down:

Notch $285, trekking poles, 27 oz
Moment $295, 2 stakes, 34 oz
Bowfin1 $309, free standing, 37 oz

The Nemo Hornet 1, is also 27 oz. ($248)

To get your tent at or under 2 lbs is pretty great. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with what you decide there. I'll text you some pics.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

ph92

Quote from: gah on June 08, 2018, 02:01:19 PM
Quote from: ph92 on June 08, 2018, 12:30:00 PM

Notch is totally ok with interior space for me to lay my pad and sleepbag down in and still have room at me head and feet for things. I keep my pack out in the vestibule anyway, it'd be a little crowded down at my feet. The tarptents all have dual entry and double walls, so that's good. The next thing for me was weight, price, and set up, and here was my break down:

Notch $285, trekking poles, 27 oz
Moment $295, 2 stakes, 34 oz
Bowfin1 $309, free standing, 37 oz

The Nemo Hornet 1, is also 27 oz. ($248)

To get your tent at or under 2 lbs is pretty great. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with what you decide there. I'll text you some pics.
Yeah that's the one downfall of the rainbow, it's hybrid of dual and single wall. But the trade-off is that it's way roomier and could even fit 2 in a pinch. Also only one door and vestibule  But the moment has 2 doors, easy setup true dual wall. This descision is tough. I might just have to flip a coin haha. But I'm looking forward to some pictures so I can get a better idea

And Neely, thanks for that. I'll have to check to see what they have.
Make America Melt Again!

Caravan2001

Tarptent's are pretty cool.  I have a bunch of different tents for various purposes (1 person to 6 person).  My go to backpacking tent was the Big Agnes but last year I switched to Nemo and I could not be happier.  I have a Hornet 1P that I used for bikepacking and it's dope, but it's not free standing so you always need to stake it.  I got a Dagger 2P for backpacking so I could fit my dog and now I bring that one bikepacking too.  Packs down super small, has only one pole and sets up in literally 2 minutes.  It's the best. I think the 2P is great for one person, awesome height and amazingly weatherproof.  Can't recommend it enough.  $399 but you can find it on REI 20% sale or other similar.  It's the best tent I have used for a lot of reasons.  There are reviews all over the net.

https://www.nemoequipment.com/product/dagger/

ph92

Quote from: Caravan2001 on June 08, 2018, 08:57:06 PM
Tarptent's are pretty cool.  I have a bunch of different tents for various purposes (1 person to 6 person).  My go to backpacking tent was the Big Agnes but last year I switched to Nemo and I could not be happier.  I have a Hornet 1P that I used for bikepacking and it's dope, but it's not free standing so you always need to stake it.  I got a Dagger 2P for backpacking so I could fit my dog and now I bring that one bikepacking too.  Packs down super small, has only one pole and sets up in literally 2 minutes.  It's the best. I think the 2P is great for one person, awesome height and amazingly weatherproof.  Can't recommend it enough.  $399 but you can find it on REI 20% sale or other similar.  It's the best tent I have used for a lot of reasons.  There are reviews all over the net.

Awesome thanks. Do you use the vestibule to store your gear or do you have it inside with you? Cause the 1P looks decent space wise if you store gear outside.

Nemo definitely seems to be a good contender.
Make America Melt Again!

Caravan2001

Quote from: ph92 on June 10, 2018, 01:27:33 PM

Awesome thanks. Do you use the vestibule to store your gear or do you have it inside with you? Cause the 1P looks decent space wise if you store gear outside.

The 1P is OK.  I will typically leave me backpack in the vestibule, just depends on where I am camping and weather, I guess.  The one person is decent but the 2P is super roomy for one person (and 65lb. dog).  You don't save a ton of weight with the one person.  I typically don't do a lot of hanging out in my tent though as I try to be a fair-weather camper.  If I was going to be stuck in a downpour in my tent all day, I would want the 2P for sure.  The 2P is big enough for 2 if the other person is your SO or kid, but I would not try and share it with a platonic friend at a festy...It would be snug for two dudes...

ph92

Quote from: Caravan2001 on June 10, 2018, 07:31:27 PM

The 1P is OK.  I will typically leave me backpack in the vestibule, just depends on where I am camping and weather, I guess.  The one person is decent but the 2P is super roomy for one person (and 65lb. dog).  You don't save a ton of weight with the one person.  I typically don't do a lot of hanging out in my tent though as I try to be a fair-weather camper.  If I was going to be stuck in a downpour in my tent all day, I would want the 2P for sure.  The 2P is big enough for 2 if the other person is your SO or kid, but I would not try and share it with a platonic friend at a festy...It would be snug for two dudes...
Okay thanks for the info. I'm gonna continue research. Made a spreadsheet to help weigh my options haha.
Make America Melt Again!

Caravan2001

Quote from: ph92 on June 10, 2018, 11:37:35 PM

Okay thanks for the info. I'm gonna continue research. Made a spreadsheet to help weigh my options haha.

Yeah, it's a big decision.  For me it came down to what was easiest for me as far as setup.  I realize I really like having a freestanding tent and not have to rely on staking to pitch it. All the new ultralight backpacking tents are hard to go wrong with.  Another reason I like the Dagger 2P as well was because it had doors on both sides. If you're not doing an ultralight through-hike, you have some great options.

ph92

Quote from: Caravan2001 on June 12, 2018, 02:56:29 PM
Quote from: ph92 on June 10, 2018, 11:37:35 PM

Yeah, it's a big decision.  For me it came down to what was easiest for me as far as setup.  I realize I really like having a freestanding tent and not have to rely on staking to pitch it. All the new ultralight backpacking tents are hard to go wrong with.  Another reason I like the Dagger 2P as well was because it had doors on both sides. If you're not doing an ultralight through-hike, you have some great options.
I ended up going with the Tarptent Bowfin 1.
When I had all the  pros and cons written down, it had the pros of a lot of tents reccomended and what I was already looking at, and very few cons.

Stand out factors:
Dual Wall
Dual Vestibule/Doors
1min setup (sets up fly with mesh connected, so it won't get wet)
Free Standing
35 oz!!

Space was not the best, not nearly as good as the Rainbow or any of the 2P tents I was looking at, but after staring at models etc, it seemed that it was going to be plenty for what I was after.

https://www.tarptent.com/product/bowfin-1/

Again, thanks for everyone who helped me out. I think the Nemo's might be more for if I want space for car camping etc. I really like their design for some of their bigger models, but the whole mesh sets up first has been a big turn off I've realized especially if this is the one to be used on the trail. I've had some bad experiences with ones that setup rain fly last.
Make America Melt Again!

Caravan2001

Dope.  You're stoked!  Enjoy!  Using it at any shows this summer?