News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

07/03 - Super Ball IX - Watkins Glen, NY - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by rowjimmy, July 04, 2011, 12:31:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

runawayjimbo

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on July 04, 2011, 10:29:53 PM
It was definitely my favorite first set of the weekend.

I need to give a proper listen, but as of now it was the best set of 3.0 for me. They struggled at the start of Mockingbird but after the first theme they brought it for the rest of the set. It was some of the most playful and original music I've heard since they've been back. The best Destiny since Fenway, a raging BBFCFM, a truly unique Mound, AND Reba > Bowie to close? They were finally playing with some confidence and seemed so comfortable. I can't wait to hear this set.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

Multibeast12

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on July 04, 2011, 08:22:04 PM
There was no YEM @ the Clifford Ball, Lemonwheel, Oswego, or IT....
Hate to be the dick, it was played at IT. The vocal jam lead to Chariots of fire where they announced the runners that won, the runaway jim race.

runawayjimbo

Quote from: Multibeast12 on July 04, 2011, 11:44:26 PM
Hate to be the dick, it was played at IT. The vocal jam lead to Chariots of fire where they announced the runners that won, the runaway jim race.

Oswego too

Superfreakie

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 05, 2011, 12:03:14 AM

Oswego too

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard He likes to spout random stats in failing attempts to defy his n00bness. 
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

emay

I started tearing up during this Reba. By far the best I have seen.  :rawk:
There were so many special moments at Superball

sunrisevt

Quote from: ceevee on July 04, 2011, 12:53:03 AM
This show is a good example of why you don't follow No Quarter with Party Time in the last set of a festival weekend (Boy, I bet they won't do that again). Great playing, but seemed to totally change the flow of the set (to my ears at least).

That first set was some inspired stuff, though...as were large chunks of the second.

This defines the difference between being there and listening at home. The vibe was great. People spaced out and rested during No Quarter and then boogied to Party Time.

I think of it this way: when I'm chilling at home and being mellow, I'm happy to listen to a whole album, whole show with a consistent vibe, etc. WHen I'm partying, I usually prefer a good mix more.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: Superfreakie on July 05, 2011, 12:19:00 AM

Oswego too

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard He likes to spout random stats in failing attempts to defy his n00bness.
:shakehead:

I think this makes me the dick, not you runawayjimbo.

The worst part is I honestly looked at each festival setlist last night before I listed it.  That's what I get for PWI'ing after a festival
Bring in the dude!

rowjimmy

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on July 05, 2011, 12:52:24 PM

Oswego too

The worst part is I honestly looked at each festival setlist last night before I listed it.  That's what I get for PWI'ing after a festival

it takes me at least
three sober (or five semi)
days to recover

guyforget

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on July 05, 2011, 12:52:24 PM

Oswego too

hey, i was at oswego and didnt even take a second to think about it after you posted because i assumed that youd done your research (correctly). 

better luck next fail.  ;)
-AD_

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: guyforget on July 05, 2011, 01:40:07 PM

hey, i was at oswego and didnt even take a second to think about it after you posted because i assumed that youd done your research (correctly). 

I am in this camp as well.  WTU, don't lose your phishy street cred.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

sunrisevt

Quote from: rowjimmy on July 05, 2011, 12:59:48 PM
it takes me at least
three sober (or five semi)
days to recover

Sounds about right. I'm sure as shit not there yet.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

macaronihead

One of my favorite moments of Super Ball was that they didn't play YEM (especially to close out the last set).

runawayjimbo

Quote from: macaronihead on July 05, 2011, 03:40:16 PM
One of my favorite moments of Super Ball was that they didn't play YEM (especially to close out the last set).

I agree that if they had closed with YEM there would be a certain segment of the population on here (you know who you are) that would be saying how trite and cliched it was. However, closing with Meatstick, Stealing Time, and a First Tube encore is a letdown no matter how you slice it.

Thrillhouse

I really thought that No Quarter was going to be a one time guy. I do not hate the fact that it was played.
Quote from: bvaz on February 14, 2012, 02:59:09 PM
I can only imagine how much I would hate people at an event like 'roo.

Pebbles and marbles, like things on my mind...