News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Vegas '04

Started by Gumbo72203, December 03, 2007, 11:14:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phg

4.15.04 might be my least favorite Phish show ever.

Not like I've heard every show, but I'm pretty sure I've heard all of the shows that could fall into that category. 

Girls, Girls, Girls=worst moment in Phishtory

Gumbo72203

Quote from: mattstick on December 03, 2007, 12:42:50 PM

4/17 was fun, we had some good times doing the Meatstick.

yeah, this is really what got me to post this.  The band must have been having a shitload of fun during that 2nd set, and thats why i was just so confused with all the talk i'd heard about the shows.  how could the band be having a complete blast if they were really playing THAT bad?  i mean, i know that Trey's whole thing with PH was about being in the moment and not worrying, but i find it hard to believe that he would be ok with completely botching a song as long as the "vibe" was right (is he cool with the Coventry Glide because of the meaning of its placement?). 

I'm not saying they're amazing, but i don't think that 4/17 at least is really that bad.  the setlist is amazing; great variation and flow through everything with some pretty inventive segues (Piper > Frankenstein, Caspian > Simple) and i thought the playing was fairly good; i really like the Pebbles.  towards the end they get into some crazy jamming that makes me think of crazy 94 and 95 Tweezers and David Bowies. 

Trey's voice is gone, yes, but i think he does a good job considering.  i never hear people up in arms over Jerry's vocals during the first run of shows of 1978 when his voice was gone.   

i guess i really need to listen to the other 2 shows to see what else is up
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

cactusfan

i was there for these shows. worst shows ever. i'd forgotten all about the awful lights.

mostly i've blocked all of them from memory, so it's hard to comment on the songs.
it's true the 17th was the least awful of the three. i think maybe there was some decent jamming in pebbles.

every decision seemed like the worst one possible. trey's voice was in tatters so they play-- talk. wtf.

nab

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on December 03, 2007, 01:08:53 PM

yeah, this is really what got me to post this.  The band must have been having a shitload of fun during that 2nd set, and thats why i was just so confused with all the talk i'd heard about the shows.  how could the band be having a complete blast if they were really playing THAT bad?  i mean, i know that Trey's whole thing with PH was about being in the moment and not worrying, but i find it hard to believe that he would be ok with completely botching a song as long as the "vibe" was right (is he cool with the Coventry Glide because of the meaning of its placement?). 

I'm not saying they're amazing, but i don't think that 4/17 at least is really that bad.  the setlist is amazing; great variation and flow through everything with some pretty inventive segues (Piper > Frankenstein, Caspian > Simple) and i thought the playing was fairly good; i really like the Pebbles.  towards the end they get into some crazy jamming that makes me think of crazy 94 and 95 Tweezers and David Bowies. 

Trey's voice is gone, yes, but i think he does a good job considering.  i never hear people up in arms over Jerry's vocals during the first run of shows of 1978 when his voice was gone.   

Thats because what Jerry lacked in voice he made up in playing.  When his voice was really shot during the first couple of shows he didn't sing at all.

sophist

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on December 03, 2007, 01:08:53 PM

did you ever not have fun on the smack?  I'm going to go with no.  Remember drugs make for a good time, but usually result in crappy musicianship, which you (the musician) don't remember. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

blatboom

Weren't these the last shows before they decided to break up the band?  they probably knew how bad they were and why.

sunrisevt

^^^Good point; I never put that together.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

time phactory

[/quote]

(is he cool with the Coventry Glide because of the meaning of its placement?). 

[/quote]

edit: (quote from gumbo, did it wrong)

I don't think he cares, maybe because of drugs or just being burned out in general (the way anyone gets burned out by their jobs), but probably because of all the phat duckets he had rolling in with every second of the evening.

natronzero

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on December 03, 2007, 11:52:00 AM
the playing really isn't that bad though...   
can you guys give any specific examples to support your opinion? 

I only made it as far as Buried Alive > ACDC Bag before I had to turn it off.
So I guess that's my answer.
I'd rather dwell in some dark holler where the sun refuses to shine, where the wild birds of heaven can't hear me when I whine.

phg

oh yeah that is the sloppiest Bag I've ever heard

mattstick

Buried Alive opener in Vegas!

I mean, yeah it was shit but most people were so high the shows were phun.

natronzero

I can see that.
In all fairness the Buried Alive's not terrible, just average, which is still better than great versions of some songs.
But that's the worst ACDC Bag I've ever heard.
I'd rather dwell in some dark holler where the sun refuses to shine, where the wild birds of heaven can't hear me when I whine.

Bobafett

Quote from: phg on December 03, 2007, 07:45:38 PM
oh yeah that is the sloppiest Bag I've ever heard

musta not heard your moms last night! Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, face! :-P
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

kellerb

All I remember about listening to these shows is that I didn't archive them.  And I generally archive everything, even lolcats

Caravan2001

vegas 04= total dogshit...the only decent part was the meatstick thing, but that had to do with the crowd, not the band.....and really it was trey that was blowing it....those shows were pitiful to watch...the beginning of the end....almost as bad as the last hampton show, but worse than hampton '03