News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

True Detective

Started by emay, April 23, 2015, 04:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbw

Quote from: mehead on August 10, 2015, 09:51:46 AM
Watching the same conversation between Frank and his woman, every damn week, was brutal.  Enough already.

Did you catch this?

I did.

ytowndan

^^ Yep, that made me crack up a bit. 

I thought the finale was OK.  The season overall was pretty bad though. 

Having said that, I'm still looking forward to a (possible) third season.  Apparently HBO wants it, but it's up to Nic Pizzolatto whether or not it gets done.  If so, I'd like to see him bring back Cary Fukunaga as the full time director -- or, if not him, just stick to one person behind the camera again.  Pizzolatto also wrote every episode himself last year, and this year he had a co-writer for a couple of them.  I think that lack of consistency really hurt this season.  Going back to that season one formula and, of course, having a better cast, would probably make a kick ass season three. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

gainesvillegreen

In one respect, Season 2 triumphed over Season 1 in that we got a strong female lead.
Rachel McAdams was a success, and it could be argued she carried this series.
Beyond that the material for this second round just didn't grab me like Season 1 (I really didn't care about people losing money).

I like the Cary idea Dan puts forth though. It could have improved with just him behind the camera.

Lera Lynn is really good, when she isn't singing T Bone Burnett songs.
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

Buffalo Budd

I stayed out of this thread til I finished the season in case of any spoilers.
Rachel McAdams was the main reason I continued to watch this series. Gritty, hot, totally stole the show. Vince was ok when he wasn't talking with his wife. She annoyed the hell out of me by the end of the season. Not even close to the first season but entertaining enough to keep me watching. Really felt they were up shit creek after busting up that party. Didn't see them getting out of that situation alive.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

emay

so this is back...two episode premiere last night.

VDB

Watched the first one last night but it was after the Saints game so, uh, I might need to go find a synopsis of the premiere before proceeding.
Is this still Wombat?

gainesvillegreen

Quote from: emay on January 14, 2019, 04:11:49 PM
so this is back...two episode premier last night.

"You will bleed black cock".

Lots of echoes with season 1: triple time line, fetish objects, posed corpse, interrogatory opening, but I enjoyed it nevertheless. Looking forward to seeing where it goes.

Buffalo Budd

Nice, haven't found anything worth watching since I finished Narcos Mexico
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

ytowndan

So far, so good.  As GG points out, there are a few pretty big similarities to season one, particularly with its structure.

The story itself is pretty cool and there's an awesome opportunity for some "unreliable narrator" craziness with his failing memory.  I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.

gainesvillegreen

"Prison rape has been a real good go to for you lately...."

This show has taught me to hold judgement until after the final episode has aired, but wanted to make a couple of observations:

1) Being the unabashed Deadwood worshipper that I am, I was excited to see David Milch contribute to last night's episode. Trying to figure out which lines of dialogue were his was enjoyable.
2) I haven't really found the discussions on whether seasons 1 vs 2 vs 3 are better or worse than the others to be helpful, misses the point I think, but I will say I really miss Fukanuka directing all the episodes. Not necessarily him, per se, but having the same director for the entire season. I prefer having the singular vision of the narrative vs 4-6. It makes a difference, and a not altogether small one.

mehead

I'm only through the first 2 episodes, will catch up tonight but thought the first 2 episodes were kinda snoozy
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: mehead on January 28, 2019, 01:56:23 PM
I'm only through the first 2 episodes, will catch up tonight but thought the first 2 episodes were kinda snoozy

This is my second attempt at watching the show and thought the same. I've made it through 3 episodes and I'm not sure why I should hang in there.... nothing is happenning.

Same happened to me with the first season. And I... kinda think it's me... not them...the casting is on point and the storyline is solid. It's just... so... slow. Like, every time the episode ends I'm left wondering where the "pay off" was.
Bring in the dude!

Hicks

Haven't watched anything but season 1, but in terms of pay off for that one, well this was good enough for me:

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

gainesvillegreen

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Indeed, those "heights" haven't been matched as far as I'm concerned.

ytowndan

Quote from: gainesvillegreen on January 28, 2019, 01:47:20 PM
"Prison rape has been a real good go to for you lately...."

This show has taught me to hold judgement until after the final episode has aired, but wanted to make a couple of observations:

1) Being the unabashed Deadwood worshipper that I am, I was excited to see David Milch contribute to last night's episode. Trying to figure out which lines of dialogue were his was enjoyable.
2) I haven't really found the discussions on whether seasons 1 vs 2 vs 3 are better or worse than the others to be helpful, misses the point I think, but I will say I really miss Fukanuka directing all the episodes. Not necessarily him, per se, but having the same director for the entire season. I prefer having the singular vision of the narrative vs 4-6. It makes a difference, and a not altogether small one.

As a David Milch fanboy, I share your enthusiasm.  I kept waiting for a baroque and semi-lyrical monologue, but it wasn't meant to be...oh well.  And besides, it wouldn't exactly go with the tone of the show.  Which, actually, leads me to your next point.  I 100% agree.  That first season had one writer and one director, and it paid off.  It felt more like one long film, as opposed to 8 different episodes of a TV series.  The 2017 season of Twin Peaks is another great example of how that works really well. 

Anyhow, I'm digging this season so far.  The cast is killer, the triple timeline is cool, and the way they're playing with time/memory is interesting.