News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Headphones

Started by flow00, June 04, 2006, 10:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flow00

I know I've seen this discussion somewhere, maybe db.etree, but I can't find it now. I want to enhance how I hear Phish shows. When I use headphones, I use the in-ear kind that come with iPods. All kinds of external noises intrude my listening, and the quaility is blah. I want a better pair for my iPod and computer. Anyone have recommendations? I want to pay between $50 and $250, depending on the quality. I'd pass even more if there was a huge difference between a $50 pair and a $300 pair.

August

as we type, i have on my bose QuietComfort 2's.
they are the best headphones in the 250-300 price range.
without a doubt.

http://www.bose.com/controller?event=DTC_LINKS_TARGET_EVENT&DTCLinkID=2724&perfsourceid=k15318&src=k15318

for in ear headphones i use for running and outside of the house i use these...
Sony Fontopia.
they come with three different size rubber ear fittings which is a plus.
they also cancel a TON of outside noise.
and for 20-25 bux, they are really punchy and clear.
i highly recommend either one of these.
you can also just buy ten pairs of these instead of the bose....  :-)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000779RZU/sr=8-2/qid=1149476195/ref=pd_bbs_2/102-1324807-9388938?%5Fencoding=UTF8

tet

if u wanna block out outside noise, do NOT get noise-cancelling headphones.  those produce this awful white noise that really kills music.  i'd recommend a pair of really good in-ear headphones, like Shure e4c (retail for $300, but you can find them for $180 online), or their cheaper $e3c, e2c....  there are many other types of headphone around, but i'm a big fan of those on my iPod.

on my computer, where i've got fewer outside noises to worry about, a good pair of open-ear headphones work best.  i use a set of Grado SR-125's, they go for about $150.  handmade in NYC, comfortable, and some of the best sound i've ever heard.  they've got models that cost well more than that, and less (same with the Shure's), but it's a good middle-of-the-road set of headphones.  

there is a big difference between the ones you see for $50 and those for $300.  everything from quality of the copper in the wiring to the diaphragm makes a difference.  the only "cheap" headphones i've seen get consistently good reviews are a set of Sony's that go for about $70 (don't remember the exact model number).  people seem to love those...  never tried them myself, think they're just in-ear buds, like the Shure's.  there are plenty of audiophile sites on the web that give reviews of headphones, almost all of them steer you to the most expensive models around -- but i'll let you know, if you can't hear the difference, paying to hear the difference won't make you.   i've listened to $1,000 headphones, and they sound just as good (to me) as my $150 pair.  
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

birdman

I use Sennheiser HD 565 Ovation over ear headphones for my careful music listening. Definately only for home use as they are 1) HUGE 2) "open" ie they are not completely enclosed. they have a grate over the outside so those around you can hear what your listening to..very bad for airplanes.
    Also, they suck with the ipod, you definately need a stronger amp.  They retailed for about 250 5 years ago and I would pay it all over again if given the choice. One of the best additions to my stereo in years.
Reviews here: http://reviews.iwon.com/cat/headphones-home-audio/headphones/sennheiser/PRD_118009_2750crx.aspx
Paug FTMFW!

tet

i looked at that exact pair when i was shopping for my Grados.  really enjoyed them.  the open design of the cups is what i liked the best, as it allows air to move more freely.  the Grados i ended up with have the same thing, just smaller drivers i think - nonetheless, too big for an iPod as well, that's why i use the buds. 
-Phish

dtnyc383

I personally use the Sony MDR-V900's and absolutly LOVE them!

:mrgreen:

tet

i have a pair of MDR-V600's sitting right here as my backup pair, very good headphones.  used those for about 5 years before i moved up to the Grados.  never heard the 900's myself...  i'd imagine they're even nicer.
-Phish

jasonsobel

as others have suggested, Grado's are wonderful headphones.  I have the RS-2 headphones for home listening, and they truely are outstanding.

for portable listening, and to block out outside noise, I'd recommend a pair of etymotics.  They are similar to the shure in-ear headphones that tet recommented.  There are the more expensive er-4, and the cheaper er-6.  I have a pair of the er-6, and I paid around $80.  very good seal in your ear canal, and it really lets you hear the music.  I wear them on the subway all the time :)  and the best part is, you don't have to crank the volume and kill your hearing  :-D
sing me back home before I die

tet

RS-2...  drool... 

the etymotics were OK in my experience.  not a lot of bass definition, i think the Shures are much better in overall clarity and 'punch'.  i rarely have my volume over 40-50% with the Shures, except on a plane.
-Phish

flow00

Thanks everyone for your help. I've decided to go with the Shure e4c and Grado SR-125s. I found the Shures for $169 here: http://www.plasmabay.com/plasma/product.asp?ref=PRCEGRAB&sku=E4

Can't wait for them to arrive.  :banana: The next step is figuring our which show I listen to first. I'm thinking August 93.

tet

cool!  enjoy man, you'll love em. 

i always think it's best to test things like headphones out if possible, but i'll vouch for both of the ones i use. 

:banana: :banana: :banana:
-Phish

sls.stormyrider

How high do you have to crank the volume with the Shures when you're on a plane?

I have a few long flights coming up so I was looking into something that would sound good and not blow out my ears.
thanks
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

tet

not much beyond 2/3 volume usually.  depends where i'm sitting in relation to the engines.  also, depends how many crying babies are around!  :frustrated:
-Phish

sls.stormyrider

thanks - sounds pretty reasonable.

there ought to be a special section on planes for children under 2 (and there parents
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

jedifunk

why?

its not like it would make the sound of a crying baby go away...  thats segregation, and discrimination...

its things like that that make me nervous and apprehensive to take my kid on a plane... then when i do, i'm paranoid the whole time that people are pissed... when in reality everyone should just tune it out and deal with it.  its not like the child is crying just to piss people off...
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio