News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Quitting is Contagious

Started by gah, April 20, 2009, 10:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

khalpin

Quote from: nab on April 23, 2009, 02:36:52 PM
Late to the thread, but today is day 16 on the wagon for me.  I won't say I've been perfect, I've had 2 cigarettes and about a half a dozen cigars in the interim, but I have been pretty successful so far.  The real struggle has been between me and my wife, who is trying to quit also.  I tend to fair a little better at the willpower exercises than she does.  I was clean and mean for a good week or so before I found out that she was sneaking cigarettes when I wasn't around.  Since my nose started working again, it wasn't too hard to tell. 

I realize that we both have our own separate struggles, and that my quitting is only dependent on me, but I can't help feeling a little let down and frankly jealous that she is trying to step down as opposed to quitting altogether.  In the end, that's what we have to do anyway.

Thanks for reading my quit blog.   
Sweet, dude.  Keep at it.  You may turn out to be her inspiration to quit if you can stick to it. 

gah

Late to the thread, but today is day 16 on the wagon for me.  I won't say I've been perfect, I've had 2 cigarettes and about a half a dozen cigars in the interim, but I have been pretty successful so far.  The real struggle has been between me and my wife, who is trying to quit also.  I tend to fair a little better at the willpower exercises than she does.  I was clean and mean for a good week or so before I found out that she was sneaking cigarettes when I wasn't around.  Since my nose started working again, it wasn't too hard to tell. 

I realize that we both have our own separate struggles, and that my quitting is only dependent on me, but I can't help feeling a little let down and frankly jealous that she is trying to step down as opposed to quitting altogether.  In the end, that's what we have to do anyway.

Dude, seriously, having only had two in 16 days is awesome. Actually, it was reading a post from you elsewhere about being a week without one that got me thinking about this thread, as I was thinking about quitting too, and then I heard the phrase somewhere, quitting is contagious, and decided to go for it.

In terms of your wife, don't be let down that she is just cutting back and not quitting altogether, because cutting back might just be step one for her, and if you stick to it, she might be inspired and quit altogether too.

Question is, where you a big cigar smoker before too? Or are you just using that right now to control urges and to ween your body off the nicotine?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

nab

Quote from: goodabouthood on April 23, 2009, 03:52:58 PM

Dude, seriously, having only had two in 16 days is awesome. Actually, it was reading a post from you elsewhere about being a week without one that got me thinking about this thread, as I was thinking about quitting too, and then I heard the phrase somewhere, quitting is contagious, and decided to go for it.

In terms of your wife, don't be let down that she is just cutting back and not quitting altogether, because cutting back might just be step one for her, and if you stick to it, she might be inspired and quit altogether too.

Question is, where you a big cigar smoker before too? Or are you just using that right now to control urges and to ween your body off the nicotine?

I'm using it to ween my mind off cigarettes.  Its really just fooling myself, but it is a smoke and it isn't a cigarette.  What I mean is that they don't affect me physiologically the same as cigarettes.  The last cigarette I had was about 3 days ago.  The way that the smoke turned me all loosy goosy and relieved made me realize that it is more than nicotine and smoking that I'm addicted to; its specifically cigarettes.   Must be something in the cocktail of chemicals that they stick in there that I'm craving as well. 

Cigars are really pacifiers.  Trouble is, you have to quit them before you develop a cigar habit instead.

postjack

it's certainly true that part of the addiction is the delivery system.  our brains like the way the cigarette chemical concoction rushes the nicotine to our brains.  but don't fool yourself: what you are addicted to is nicotine, and it's a powerful addiction that will make you think strange things.

a heroin addict doesn't kick junk by only snorting instead of shooting, and a nicotine addict doesn't kick by smoking cigars or dipping.  the nicotine has to get out of the body for the healing to begin.

for the record, I did smoke a cigar during mardi gras and one at Hampton, but I'd been nicotine free for two years.
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

mattstick

Put the cigarette out.

Throw away your half pack.

Never light up again, it's fucking disgusting.

END THREAD.

Superfreakie

Quote from: mattstick on April 23, 2009, 04:55:40 PM

Put the cigarette out.

END THREAD.

Nearly a haiku.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

nab

Put the cigarette out.

END THREAD.

That heartfelt advice works every time.  If only more non-smokers would tell that to smokers we'd all be done with cigarettes really soon.   

kellerb

Don't nag her.  Us junkies only resent the people who pressure us to do stuff we're failing at.

nab

Quote from: kellerb on April 23, 2009, 06:35:30 PM

Don't nag her.  Us junkies only resent the people who pressure us to do stuff we're failing at.

True, True.

Probably would be easier to not nag anyone if I wasn't so damn grouchy myself.

khalpin

Quote from: nab on April 23, 2009, 06:53:31 PM

True, True.

Yeah, nagging just pisses people off.  It won't help.  And as far as replacing cigarettes with something else, don't try and replace it with more nicotene (gum, chew, etc.)  You won't be getting over your nicotine addiction.  You'll just change the source.  That's my advice anyway, but if it works for you, go for it.

Personally, I doubled my marijuana intake when I gave up cigarettes.  That's when I realized the that the cigarette addiction was more psychological than physical, because what I really was missing was the feeling of smoke entering my lungs. 

nab

Quote from: khalpin on April 23, 2009, 09:40:32 PM
Quote from: nab on April 23, 2009, 06:53:31 PM

True, True.

Yeah, nagging just pisses people off.  It won't help.  And as far as replacing cigarettes with something else, don't try and replace it with more nicotene (gum, chew, etc.)  You won't be getting over your nicotine addiction.  You'll just change the source.  That's my advice anyway, but if it works for you, go for it.

Personally, I doubled my marijuana intake when I gave up cigarettes.  That's when I realized the that the cigarette addiction was more psychological than physical, because what I really was missing was the feeling of smoke entering my lungs. 

That used to be my cure, but I just started working for the gubermint so I'm gonna lay low on that stuff for a bit longer. 

GBL

Put the cigarette out.

END THREAD.

i lol'd.. +K
If this is love, I'm never going home..

mattstick

I thought maybe some tough love was in order.

Mr Minor

I found it wasn't the nicotine that I was addicted to, it was the act of smoking; be it a cigarette, cigar, or buds.  It's also a social thing.  I rarely smoke (I am talking months and months in between) and when I do there is usually alcohol involved and it's a social scene- tailgating at a sporting event, a show, possible bar scene (although it's easier to not do it at a bar as more are going non-smoking).

nab

Quote from: mattstick on April 24, 2009, 06:48:20 AM

I thought maybe some tough love was in order.

I've got enough of that to go around in my own head.  I don't know if you've ever smoked yourself, but that line from non-smokers really only makes smokers mad at the speaker for the tone of indignation, not embarrassed about smoking.