News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gainesvillegreen

Quote from: cactusfan on December 12, 2006, 08:19:02 PM
It's dark and violent and apocalyptic and the prose is so gorgeous there were times when i had to stop reading just to sit and be amazed by the beauty of a particular sentence. THAT doesn't happen to me often.

It can happen again soon if you pick up McCarthy's The Road.

cactusfan

Quote from: gainesvillegreen on December 12, 2006, 11:17:28 PM
It can happen again soon if you pick up McCarthy's The Road.

i actually did pick that one up. haven't gotten to it yet...

Guyute

You folks are completely missing the boat here.  You need to be reading what I am:

"Migrating to IPv6, A practical guide to implementing IPv6 in mobile and fixed networks" by Marc Blanchet
Let me tell you, its a scorcher.  In chapter 14 when he covers flow labels, WOW!!!!!!!

This is one of those books I would sell back in college before the final for beer money.
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

converse29

Aldous Huxley-The Doors of Perception and Heaven and Hell. This PDF file was started by yours truly at about 11:00 P.M. last night. I had to leave my friend's computer but I was really enjoying Huxley's breakdown on spatial relationship's while he was under the influence of mescalin. Right angles weren't right angles anymore. Yes,the bent dimension. :-D

nab

Quote from: converse29 on December 13, 2006, 12:28:51 PM
Aldous Huxley-The Doors of Perception and Heaven and Hell. This PDF file was started by yours truly at about 11:00 P.M. last night. I had to leave my friend's computer but I was really enjoying Huxley's breakdown on spatial relationship's while he was under the influence of mescalin. Right angles weren't right angles anymore. Yes,the bent dimension. :-D

I read that book in high school way before I had any psychedelic experiences.  I was just trying to explain to this kid (who has never had a psychedelic experience) who I work with that intellectually understanding psychedelics (i.e. understanding something like Huxley's book) and having the experience are two totally different things.  Maybe I should go back and read that book again.     

converse29

Quote from: nab on December 13, 2006, 01:07:29 PM
I read that book in high school way before I had any psychedelic experiences.  I was just trying to explain to this kid (who has never had a psychedelic experience) who I work with that intellectually understanding psychedelics (i.e. understanding something like Huxley's book) and having the experience are two totally different things.  Maybe I should go back and read that book again.     
If you feel you could benefit from it and help others. I feel Huxley was a person who could interpret the psychedelic experience intellectually as he was having an emotional spiritual experience. :-D

gimmetela

Quote from: converse29 on December 13, 2006, 12:28:51 PM

yes!  two awesome pieces of literature from huxley.  nice call!

tet

Quote from: phan003 on December 12, 2006, 06:32:50 PM
tet,
what was the last email I received ?

your activation code for exclusive member-only access to Goatse
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

susep

Quote from: august on December 12, 2006, 08:02:05 PM
i am currently eating a delicious sandwich.

it's damn good, too!
a

nice, looks like you got your trace elements :-D

susep

Bob Dylan
Chronicles Vol. 1

Bob tells an interesting story when he was rehearsing w/ the  :syf: in '87 and how they were pulling out all of these older tunes that he didn't/couldn't feel.  He made up an excuse to leave practice and went for a walk.  He passed this bar up the street where a jazz group was playing so he went in for a beverage and listened.  He really became inspired by the singer/vocalist because of his feel and returned to practice more rejuvanted.

Also there was a fun story about him hanging w/ Bono w/ a case of Guinness.

Great read so far, thanks again sl :beers:

mattstick

Grateful Dead Gear - Blair Jackson

Da Capo Best Music Writing 2006 - Mary Gaitskill/Daphine Carr (Editors)

The Best Music Writing book is cool, mostly essays and short articles about, duh, music - written in 2006.  The first one is an article about why Masters Of War is the greatest protest song of all-time.  And it goes on from there.

sls.stormyrider

QuoteGreat read so far, thanks again sl
glad you like it susep :-)

QuoteThe Best Music Writing book is cool, mostly essays and short articles about, duh, music - written in 2006.  The first one is an article about why Masters Of War is the greatest protest song of all-time.  And it goes on from there.

funny. I heard that one yesterday on the ipod and it was going in my head all day. It was obviously written about the cold war (I'm pretty sure it was before the escalation of Nam) but I just keep on seeing Bush and Cheney's face. Timeless song with powerful lyrics that still hold up.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

lexslamman

Current list of books being actively read (not the queue, these are the ones I'm reading now):

Identity and Foreign Policy in the Middle East - Shibley Telhami
The Foreign Policies of Mid-East States - Michael Hinnebusch
The Origin of Alliances - Stephen Walt
The Name of the Rose - Umberto Eco
The Drawing of the Three - Stephen King
The Lord of the Rings (note: this book and its predecessors are always and perpetually being read by me)

susep

Quote from: lexslamman on January 20, 2007, 09:20:47 PM
Identity and Foreign Policy in the Middle East - Shibley Telhami
The Foreign Policies of Mid-East States - Michael Hinnebusch

sounds interesting.

nab

Final Fantasy XII Official Strategy Guide, Brady Games
Archeology In Montana Vol 43 No 1 2002 and Vol 45 No 1 2004

Edit: Oh yea, and a National Geographic article on Neandertals from 1996.