News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Earbud recommendations

Started by VDB, October 27, 2014, 10:51:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VDB

Now soliciting recommendations for good quality ear buds. I don't consider myself an audiophile so anything too high up the scale may be lost on me and at unnecessary cost.

I had a set of Nuforce NE-6s that I was pretty fond of, but which met an early death in the laundry one day. The newer generation NE-700Xs are of notably poorer build quality and are literally falling apart on me.
Is this still Wombat?

mattstick

Price range?

Are these for walking around? Exercise? Listening at home? Listening on airplane?

I have a few sets of earbuds for different purposes...

Augustus

If anyone is looking for cheap and light buds for running, I use these Sony buds that go for $12.
Nice bass with three fittings that actually stay in your ear.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-earbud-headphones-black/4987667.p?id=1218589747316&skuId=4987667

mattstick

Augustus

That's a sweet deal!
I've never liked buds with a vol control on it for running, tho.

Those Sony buds are great for me 'cause I keep a pair everywhere I might need them if I need to get running.
Currently have 4 in circulation and they're all pretty old.

mattstick

Yeah the model I have doesn't have volume control on them actually.

Best Buy extended warranty costs $30, you can return them no questions asked...  so once I get tired of them I return them for full refund minus extended warranty.

I'm not a Bose guy but these are "open" in that you don't seal off your ear canal so you can still hear cars and stuff around you - last 10K I ran with a friend I had music on but we also talked occasionally throughout the race.

VDB

To answer your questions, Matt:

I would have said my price range was the Nuforce range (MSRP $65), but if their current quality is indicative of what I get at that level, then of course I'll go higher.

The usage is all purpose if nothing else by default as I have not heretofore gotten different pairs for different purposes. So that includes running, gym, sitting at work, airplanes, futzing around the yard, etc.
Is this still Wombat?

mattstick

I used to swear by V-Moda, they're current entry in that market is these:

http://v-moda.com/remix-remote/

Without breaking the $100 barrier they produced great sound and were durable.

zackonthetrain

IF anyone is interested id be more than happy to share some Skullcandy discount codes, i do IT for them and should be getting some new codes before the hollidays for 50% or 75% off. 

http://www.skullcandy.com/shop/earbuds/

The methods are the best IMO, everything is lifetime warranted. The quality has been great for the money w/ the new products, not nearly as many warranties as we used to get in years passed.
"a good sauce can't save a bad noodle"

sls.stormyrider

I have Klipsch (forget the model #, but they probably have new ones by now). Comfortable, very good sound, at the time they were about $70.00 at Best Buy or Amazon. They block exterior noise very well. The only negative is that I have to adjust them, particularly the left one, if I'm doing something active.
I typically don't run with them unless I'm on a treadmill, then have to adjust the left one every 5 minutes or so.

I tried the Bose but found them a little uncomfortable - I was also concerned they might not block enough sound on a plane, but they might be a bit more stable because they don't require a perfect seal (comments, Matt?). If you have a Bose store near you, they let you try them on. Most stores don't let you do that.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

VDB

Hmm, seems a lot of the models I'm seeing, including Kilpsch and V-Moda, include a mic and/or volume controls by default. I'd rather not deal with the extra weight and bulk. Anyone have a favorite set that eschews that feature?
Is this still Wombat?

gainesvillegreen

Somewhat in the same boat. Running and in the gym 5 days a week, having trouble discerning the next step of headphones here.
I can spend up to $150 on these, but I am not reading over the top reviews of the Bose Freestyle or SEi2's although both read as though they fit well for vigorous excercise. Noise cancellation isn't a necessity for me as I am running and can use the breakthrough sound for safety, but if I load this iPhone with ALAC I want fidelity at that price point and I keep seeing they should be selling for $99 or less based on how they sound.

I can't seen to find Klipsch in this shithole of a town but if anyone has any of their headphone/ear bud products it would be great to hear from you as I can't find a bad review of their products.

Bose had 30 day, I may just need to do that....upgrading from Skull Candy crappers, I am sure the diff in quality is interstellar.

/end blog
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

tet

I have a pair of Shure SE 315s that have served me really well for more than 2 years - they've even got an optional special iPhone-compatible cord that has inline volume and answer/hangup/pause buttons.  Very comfortable for long wearings, and they've never fallen out of my ears - comes with lots of foam/rubber options of all sizes. 

Not sure what is current for them, but I had the E4c before and was really happy with the upgrade to these.  Really full sound without much coloring - just very clear and loud!
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

sls.stormyrider

I had a pair of Shure (I think the same model as Tet but not sure). I liked them but after about 3 years the L speaker went.

I got a pair of Klipsch and am happy for the most part with some issues

-sound is very good
-very comfortable and easy to insert
-they haven't fallen out of my ears but depending on what I'm doing, they slip after a while which results in a gradual decline in sound. I rarely run with them, but when I do, after a while every 5 minutes or so I have to adjust one of them.

I tried the Bose in the store and they sounded good but I had a difficult time getting them in. Noise canceling was important to me and the Bose didn't seem to have that
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

gainesvillegreen

I went with the Bose FreeStyle. With the extended warranty, it was right at my pricepoint and so far so good. The color schemes on the Sport variety didn't blow me away, and they have the same drivers, so there is no difference in sound quality.

Really good sound, certainly enough bass for my purposes. I can't tell if the treble is a bit thin or if it is affected by the ambient noise?

Went on my standard 3.5 mile run yesterday and no wiggle whatsoever. Taking them to the gym today but I am sure they will be fine there. I am a bit leary that they went with a straight jack on these rather than a bent or 90 degree angle as all the ear buds I've had in the past with this shape tend to wear at this pressure point. Perfect length of cord though so this hopefully will minimize the stress there.

I appreciate the feedback!
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.