News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

RIP Bill Buckner

Started by sls.stormyrider, May 28, 2019, 08:44:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sls.stormyrider

RIP to a classy guy with Hall of Fame Talent. Was wrongly made a goat because of an error in one of the most exciting WS games ever. I'd love to have that guy on my team.
RIP
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

PIE-GUY

I have attended exactly one World Series Game in my life. It was Game 6 in 1986. We were up in the cheap seats but my Pops somehow stubbed us down to great 3rd baseline seats after the 7th inning stretch. It really looked to everyone like the Series was over for the Mets. It was nuts. Then Buckner... enough said.

When the game was over, the entire warning track was immediately filled with cops on horseback to keep the crowd in the stands. Mets fans had poured onto the field when the team made the series and seriously tore up the turf. HAHA!!
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

sls.stormyrider

Wow - what a game to be at!!!

I will never forget that game, even though I saw it on TV. I was at a wedding on the Cape, and Mets Fans and Sox fans were going at it all day. The brides father had a thing at the house after the game and set up a bar and TV in the garage. We had to leave around the 7th cause it was starting to get ugly - saw the rest from our hotel.

Earlier in the game, Buckner scores from 2nd on a single with his gimpy knees. If he didn't do that, the Mets may have one w/o extra innings.

then came the 10th..
Carter came up, down 2 runs, bases empty, with 2 outs and quickly had 2 strikes. Shiraldi gave up 3 singles in a row.
Mets down by 1
Mookie Wilson comes up with 1st and 3rd
Stanley made a wild pitch.
Game tied
Then Wilson hits the dribbler. If you look at the replays, even if Buckner caught it, Wilson would have beat that out.
Buckner wasn't the real goat - Shiralde and Stanley were.
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

mbw

mehead

Quote from: slslbs on May 28, 2019, 11:09:06 AM
Buckner wasn't the real goat - Shiralde and Stanley were.

So much this. All of it happened with 2 outs and almost everyone glosses right over Stanley's wild pitch. Buckner was just the icing on the cake for Mets fans.
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

Caravan2001

And I have only attended one WS game in my life and that was Game 7 of the '86 series, so kudos to Buckner. RIP.

sls.stormyrider

jealous of both of you guys

Caravan2001

Quote from: slslbs on May 28, 2019, 05:36:20 PM
jealous of both of you guys

Actually I think I also went to one game of the 2000 Subway Series.  All of that said, as a Mets fan, our visits are way too few and far between.