News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Star Wars

Started by redrum, December 30, 2007, 05:37:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blatboom

Quote from: antelope19 on January 02, 2008, 11:40:17 AM
Anyone ever think there is a reason episodes IV, V, and VI were released first?  Think we would be discussing this stuff if it went the other way around?  I certainly don't.  Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of this series.  But I just don't think it would have taken like it has if the first couple episodes were released first. 

I thought the prequels had so much potential given the events leading up to Ep. IV.  They would have been much better had Lucas not directed.  Maybe then the actors could have gotten something done.  He's a terrible director for actors and is much better served in the producing role (IMO).

that's why I sort of compare it to PH phish.  I saw Eps I, II, III quite a few times each in the theaters (I couldn't help it) yet part of me wishes they had never been made... :|

rowjimmy

Next Star Wars film...

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hc21_i1w797dfQrfS2jDgC8k2m1AD8UPN88G0
Another animated project entitled Star Wars: The Clone Wars
But this will be different from the previous television series of the same name and will be followed by ANOTHER animated television series...

In theaters, August 15.

Bobafett

George really should put the pipe down.
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

rowjimmy

I quite liked the last Clone Wars series...

VA $l!m

just watched another brand new episode of STAR WARS clone wars on cartoon network.
i've been keeping up with the new series and i'm totally in love with it.
i didnt catch the first series or the movie, but i'm completely amazed by this show.
all around awesome in my book.
hopefully someday i'll be able to get all these on bluray.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

jedifunk

yeah, my son & i have been following the whole series... we kicked it off by going to the movie the night of the premeire then watched the first episode when we got home.

shit was tight... he had a blast, i had a blast.  good times.  the movie was ok, but the series has been great.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

jedifunk

clone trooper / master jedi
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

Mr Minor

Anyone ever think there is a reason episodes IV, V, and VI were released first?  Think we would be discussing this stuff if it went the other way around?  I certainly don't.  Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of this series.  But I just don't think it would have taken like it has if the first couple episodes were released first. 

Star Wars is considered an epic, and one quality of an epic is it starts en media res (in the middle of the action).  That's why Lucas had to start there.  It hooks us and then he can always go back and tell the story that leads up to it. 
The Odyssey is the same way.  It starts in the middle of the action and then goes back and tells a bunch of pre-story which isn't quite as exciting as when he goes home and destroys the suitors- which he is near to getting to that point in the beginning of the book, but has to retell his whole story.

If Lucas started with Episode I, it may have never made it through the whole series, at least not with the fanbase it has today.

I actually spent about 30 minutes discussing the similarities of The Odyssey and Star Wars in terms of epic poetry to my 8th graders.

Bobafett

i wrote a 12 page paper on it in college!  can you say A-?
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

Mr Minor

Quote from: Bobafett on November 15, 2008, 12:07:56 PM
i wrote a 12 page paper on it in college!  can you say A-?

Nice!  What a great thesis to discuss in a paper.

VA $l!m

Quote from: jedifunk on November 14, 2008, 10:38:16 PM
yeah, my son & i have been following the whole series... we kicked it off by going to the movie the night of the premeire then watched the first episode when we got home.

shit was tight... he had a blast, i had a blast.  good times.  the movie was ok, but the series has been great.

yeah i just noticed last night also that Playstation network has the movie for DL or rental. i might check it out.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

StCarl

Quote from: blatboom on January 02, 2008, 07:20:48 PM

I thought the prequels had so much potential given the events leading up to Ep. IV.  They would have been much better had Lucas not directed.  Maybe then the actors could have gotten something done. He's a terrible director for actors and is much better served in the producing role (IMO).

that's why I sort of compare it to PH phish.  I saw Eps I, II, III quite a few times each in the theaters (I couldn't help it) yet part of me wishes they had never been made... :|

Whoa.  Among other things, in this charming anecdote, David Lynch tells us he told George Lucas to direct Jedi himself, and also that Lucas "doesn't really love directing."  Check it >

http://www.youtube.com/v/qDB8Q15iUIE&hl=en&fs=1&
Quote from: McGrupp on January 25, 2011, 02:39:37 PM
your overall taste in phish shows perplexes me.

rowjimmy

So...

We blame David Lynch?

blatboom

if Lucas had actually directed Jedi then yes.  It's my least favorite of the originals but has moments of sheer brilliance

rowjimmy

Quote from: blatboom on January 29, 2010, 10:51:22 AM
if Lucas had actually directed Jedi then yes.  It's my least favorite of the originals but has moments of sheer brilliance

But Lynch planted the seed...

and, uh,