News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2018-10-23 - Ascend Amphitheater - Nashville, TN

Started by Gumbo72203, October 24, 2018, 12:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gumbo72203

SET 1: Tweezer Reprise, Party Time, Free, The Old Home Place, Lawn Boy, Cool It Down, Theme From the Bottom, Funky Bitch, Kill Devil Falls > Wolfman's Brother > Character Zero   

SET 2: Mike's Song* ~> Ghost#, Everything's Right > Set Your Soul Free > When the Circus Comes > Weekapaug Groove   

ENCORE: Loving Cup   

* - unfinished
# - balloons popping everywhere?

I changed the -> that PHish.net has for the Ghost transition because that isnt' indicative of what happened.  The band didn't stop, but it wasn't smooth.  HOWEVER, that Mike's Song and Ghost.....  holy shit.  Wait til you guys hear the Mike's. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

rowjimmy

Good show.
Good songs throughout, and nice jamming in the 2nd.

Caravan2001

birdman

Was great to final hear them stretch out mikes a bit. And that ghost got dark and dirty. The jams have just been on point this tour. Kind of pissed I can't make Vegas work for me.
Paug FTMFW!

Gumbo72203

Yeah that Mike's is incredible.

Do you guys have any clue what's going on in Ghost from about 6-10 mins, with all the popping and crackling?

%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

Caravan2001

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on October 26, 2018, 11:25:51 PM

Do you guys have any clue what's going on in Ghost from about 6-10 mins, with all the popping and crackling?

I'd check your headphone cable bro....

Gumbo72203

Quote from: Caravan2001 on October 28, 2018, 02:44:26 AM

I'm on my laptop, you'll hear it first emerge right at the 6 minute mark.  It sounds like a drum is mis-triggering or something.  Very prominent at 6:35 or so.  Maybe its the Marimba?  7:35 also. 

Turn your speakers up.  It's VERY prominent from 8:30 until about 9:30, especially from 9:15 - 10:15.

Upon further listening it appears to be related to an effect Mike had on because it picks up when his lines become more active.  Still have no clue what actually is going on, if it's a mis-triggering or something with this rig or if it's just crazy pick attack. 

It makes me think of someone throwing pebbles at Fishmans kit though haha

PIE-GUY

So, just kind of catching up after a whirlwind couple of weeks. This show was stellar. Two HUGE bust outs for me.

1. Cool it Down - my first since Halloween 98. 103 show gap.
2. The Old Home Place - my first since Clifford Ball. 109 show gap.

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

cactusfan

This Ghost is a monster. So deep and evil. I love it. The Mike's ain't too shabby either.

Caravan2001

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on October 29, 2018, 02:59:18 PM

I'm on my laptop, you'll hear it first emerge right at the 6 minute mark.  It sounds like a drum is mis-triggering or something.  Very prominent at 6:35 or so.  Maybe its the Marimba?  7:35 also. 

Turn your speakers up.  It's VERY prominent from 8:30 until about 9:30, especially from 9:15 - 10:15.

Upon further listening it appears to be related to an effect Mike had on because it picks up when his lines become more active.  Still have no clue what actually is going on, if it's a mis-triggering or something with this rig or if it's just crazy pick attack. 

Yeah, people on Twitter are calling it Mike's "chopstick" effect.  My wife thinks it sounds like popping balloons.  It's kind of cool for second but it gets distracting.  People said it first surfaced at Baker's Dozen, I forget which jam.  It is kind of cool, but interesting that he would have it on for several minutes.

ETA:  I listened to this show last night for the 7th or 8th time (second set) and it still totally delivers.

rowjimmy

Quote from: Caravan2001 on November 18, 2018, 09:24:51 PM
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on October 29, 2018, 02:59:18 PM

Yeah, people on Twitter are calling it Mike's "chopstick" effect.  My wife thinks it sounds like popping balloons.  It's kind of cool for second but it gets distracting.  People said it first surfaced at Baker's Dozen, I forget which jam.  It is kind of cool, but interesting that he would have it on for several minutes.

ETA:  I listened to this show last night for the 7th or 8th time (second set) and it still totally delivers.

RJ asked me about that effect on the last episode and I had no idea. What would he be using to make that noise and also why?

Gumbo72203

i'm just so surprised that the first non-2nd jam Type II Mike's Song of 3.0 doesn't seem to have gained any traction lol.  People are weird.

mistercharlie

"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens.