News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

RIP Tom Petty

Started by Hicks, October 02, 2017, 03:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VDB

Is this still Wombat?

PIE-GUY

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 03, 2017, 01:59:37 PM
Quote from: Hicks on October 03, 2017, 01:48:18 PM
Well said RJ and lol, let's roll another water bong. 

I wrote a little tribute too:

https://www.aperionaudio.com/blog/rip-tom-petty-1950-2017

Nicely done, ikki.

This.

My own thoughts:

I have never until very recently owned a Tom Petty album with or without the Heartbreakers. I bought Damn the Torpedos on vinyl recently and I love listening to it.

That said, I saw him play play twice. The first was at ACL Fest in 2006. The band was forced offstage by a major storm for about an hour. They came back and just raged well past curfew. In fact, in 15 years of ACL Fest this is still the only instance of a band playing past curfew. It was amazing... and for a guy who owned zero Petty, I found out I was already a fan. I knew every fucking word to every fucking song! The guy's work is just that ubiquitous. 

The second time was Jazzfest this year. I caught about 4 songs before ditching his set to catch Maceo Parker. Such is Jazzfest.

At any rate, my final thought is this: Petty is one of the few to keep Rock & Roll alive and kicking in the 80's, and thank Jah for that!!
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

VDB

Is this still Wombat?

mehead

Highly recommend giving this a watch. It's been years since I last watched it but fired it up again the other night. Definitely worth the nearly 4 hours that it clocks in at.  Currently on Netflix.

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

mopper_smurf

Quote from: mehead on October 04, 2017, 08:26:28 AM
Highly recommend giving this a watch. It's been years since I last watched it but fired it up again the other night. Definitely worth the nearly 4 hours that it clocks in at.  Currently on Netflix.

Good call. Will do.
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

mopper_smurf

The 30th Anniversary Concert of that box set is up on YouTube BTW.

Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

PIE-GUY

So, this afternoon the folks at ACLFest paid beautiful tribute to Tom. At a moment when all stages were between acts they played on video and audio from EVERY stage in the entire place Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' final encore of Free Falling from their 2006 ACLFest performance... I mean every corner of the park was filled the sound... then three skydivers came down from above. Everyone in the place was dancing and singing and hugging and looking up to the sky. It was really beautiful. 
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: PIE-GUY on October 08, 2017, 12:56:47 AM
So, this afternoon the folks at ACLFest paid beautiful tribute to Tom. At a moment when all stages were between acts they played on video and audio from EVERY stage in the entire place Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' final encore of Free Falling from their 2006 ACLFest performance... I mean every corner of the park was filled the sound... then three skydivers came down from above. Everyone in the place was dancing and singing and hugging and looking up to the sky. It was really beautiful.

Yes.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

mopper_smurf

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on October 08, 2017, 02:07:04 AM

Yes.

That's amazing.
Twitter | FB | Instagram

susep

Quote from: mehead on October 04, 2017, 08:26:28 AM

watched the first hour and a half this am, good stuff. 

natronzero

First off, HUGE props and thanks to Dave for hooking me and Amber up with wristbands this year!
I was unfortunately under the tent making a beer run when this happened so I missed the whole thing, but here's about a minute of it that the wife managed to catch.
I'd rather dwell in some dark holler where the sun refuses to shine, where the wild birds of heaven can't hear me when I whine.

VDB

So I may have hijacked the DJ equipment at a wedding last night to play "Into the Great Wide Open" post-reception.
Is this still Wombat?

Hicks

Quote from: VDB on October 15, 2017, 11:19:57 AM
So I may have hijacked the DJ equipment at a wedding last night to play "Into the Great Wide Open" post-reception.

Shoulda gone You Got Lucky.   :evil:
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

VDB

Quote from: Hicks on October 15, 2017, 12:56:20 PM
Quote from: VDB on October 15, 2017, 11:19:57 AM

Shoulda gone You Got Lucky.   :evil:

Heh. In fact, I was hoping for American Girl (bride's from here and groom is English) but pickins were slim among the DJ's onboard library.
Is this still Wombat?