News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Random YouTube Music Video Blowout

Started by gah, April 11, 2009, 11:44:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emay

Pretty awesome cover of the Boss's "Im On fire"

PIE-GUY

very cool...

http://www.openculture.com/2013/05/eric_claptons_isolated_guitar_track_from_the_classic_beatles_song_while_my_guitar_gently_weeps_1968.html

QuoteEric Clapton's Isolated Guitar Track From the Classic Beatles Song, 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' (1968)

by Mike Springer

George Harrison of the Beatles was an accomplished guitar player with a distinctive soloing style. So you might think that with a song as personal and guitar-centric as "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," he would do his own playing. In fact, the song features guitar playing by Eric Clapton.

It was recorded on September 6, 1968, during the acrimonious White Album sessions. Harrison had been struggling off and on for over a month to get the song right. He first tried it with his own playing on a Gibson J-200 guitar along with an overdubbed harmonium. He later experimented by running the guitar solo backwards. Nothing seemed to work. So finally Harrison asked his friend Clapton for a little help. When Clapton walked into Abbey Road Studios with Harrison, the other Beatles started taking the song seriously. In a 1987 interview with Guitar Player magazine, Harrison was asked whether it had bruised his ego to ask Clapton to play on the song.

No, my ego would rather have Eric play on it. I'll tell you, I worked on that song with John, Paul, and Ringo one day, and they were not interested in it at all. And I knew inside of me that it was a nice song. The next day I was with Eric, and I was going into the session, and I said, "We're going to do this song. Come on and play on it." He said, "Oh, no. I can't do that. Nobody ever plays on the Beatles records." I said, "Look, it's my song, and I want you to play on it." So Eric came in, and the other guys were as good as gold–because he was there. Also, it left me free to just play the rhythm and do the vocal. So Eric played that, and I thought it was really good. Then we listened to it back, and he said, "Ah, there's a problem, though; it's not Beatley enough"–so we put it through the ADT [automatic double-tracker], to wobble it a bit.

For the impression of a person weeping and wailing, Clapton used the fingers on his fretting hand to bend the strings deeply, in a highly expressive descending vibrato. He was playing a 1957 Gibson Les Paul, a guitar he had once owned but had given to Harrison, who nicknamed it "Lucy." You can hear Clapton's isolated playing above. And for a reminder of how it all came together, you can listen to the official version below. We'd also encourage you to listen to the acoustic demos for the album.

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

McGrupp

^ so fucking awesome.

really interesting to me that they used the double tracker on the guitar. I know that was a total keystone of the Beatles' vocal sound, but never considered the fact that they'd use it for guitar. And you can totally hear it when it's isolated.

Pretty sweet.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

emay

really cool.

been seein these isolated tracks pop up recently, its pretty awesome.

this one of keith richards from 'cant you hear me knockin'

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

gainesvillegreen

Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

mopper_smurf

Quote from: McGrupp on May 30, 2013, 02:46:52 PM
^ so fucking awesome.

really interesting to me that they used the double tracker on the guitar. I know that was a total keystone of the Beatles' vocal sound, but never considered the fact that they'd use it for guitar. And you can totally hear it when it's isolated.

Pretty sweet.

Love it. This is the kind of thing that make the interwebs a cool place to hang out.
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

twatts

Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

mopper_smurf

Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

mopper_smurf

And while we are on LZ ... Bonzo would have been 65 today.

Twitter | FB | Instagram

rowjimmy

Quote from: twatts likes ghoti on May 31, 2013, 01:29:31 AM
Quote from: gainesvillegreen on May 30, 2013, 05:16:29 PM
Quote from: sophist on May 30, 2013, 04:51:40 PM

Japanese accent jokes aside, mics at 3:25 http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=D5rRtYSwnOU#t=205s

Terry

Spotted those before I saw your comment.

I'd like to go to that fest where those pics with taken. This band came up a little while back in the GDead Thread with some videos of Scarlet fire iirc. Their vocals are obviously a struggle but their playing is solid.

mopper_smurf

Twitter | FB | Instagram

twatts

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 31, 2013, 07:54:20 AM
Quote from: twatts likes ghoti on May 31, 2013, 01:29:31 AM
Quote from: gainesvillegreen on May 30, 2013, 05:16:29 PM
Quote from: sophist on May 30, 2013, 04:51:40 PM

Japanese accent jokes aside, mics at 3:25 http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=D5rRtYSwnOU#t=205s

Terry

Spotted those before I saw your comment.

I'd like to go to that fest where those pics with taken. This band came up a little while back in the GDead Thread with some videos of Scarlet fire iirc. Their vocals are obviously a struggle but their playing is solid.

I'd like to go and sing...  Good God, you're telling me in that whole country, they can't find one person whose Japanese that can sing those songs w/o the accent?!?  If that Filipino guy can do Journey, why can't some Japanese guy do Jerry?!? 

Terry

ETA, reminds me of a Japanese BlueGrass band that played around here a few years ago...  Some old Japanese Professor and a bunch of his students...  I think they made a trip to MerleFest, then played a single show...  Music was great, but the singing was horrible, yet funny...  I bet I was the only one there that could understand the accent...  I taped it...  I wonder if I saved it...

Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

mopper_smurf

Twitter | FB | Instagram

mopper_smurf

Twitter | FB | Instagram