News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Quitting is Contagious

Started by gah, April 20, 2009, 10:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattstick

I quit Feb 07.

Don't fool yourself, facing the truth that smoking is a disgusting and deadly habit is the fastest way to quit.

nab

gah

Quote from: mattstick on April 24, 2009, 10:26:16 AM
I quit Feb 07.

Don't fool yourself, facing the truth that smoking is a disgusting and deadly habit is the fastest way to quit.

That's why I put that pic up earlier of what a healthy vs smokers lung looks like.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

sls.stormyrider

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

khalpin

Caravan2001

I started chewing in '78 (yes, 1978) and smoking regularly by '85 to curb my tin a day habit...Smoked a pack a day for long time (15 years+), and was off and on for a long time. I have not been a smoker since 2003.  You can quit, it just takes the mental fortitude to do it.  I will still smoke a cig on a RARE occasion (1-2 a year maybe, if that) but never have ever had the urge to start it up as a habit again.  I smoked a couple at Hampton (tripping) and it was OK, but the health information that is available is just so overwhelming, that actually smoking on the regular is just not in the cards for me.   It is just an addictive habit that is incredibly hard to beat, and it is a lot easier to see how bad it is in hindsight......Why kill yourself voluntarily?  The hardest things, as said, is being around smokers when you are trying to quit. Once you have really beat it, being around smokers just makes you sick, not jonesing.   Also, as has been said, once you have a kid smokig is just not an option.....at least for me.  Good luck to all of those trying to currently quit- the benefits are MASSIVE!  Just do it.....

nab

Quote from: khalpin on April 24, 2009, 11:08:56 AM
Quote from: nab on April 24, 2009, 10:51:30 AM
I'll take deadly
Percy!

One of my daughter's favorites.  She saw this picture as I was uploading it and now I have to put her massive train set back together.

Buffalo Budd

I quit this week as well.  It was high time and I always said that I would not have smokes around my family so I thought now would be a good time to kick it. 
The nice weather makes it a tad more difficult  :frustrated: but there's always gonna be some excuse to put it off.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

redrum

Quote from: caravan2001 on April 24, 2009, 11:11:05 AM
Once you have really beat it, being around smokers just makes you sick, not jonesing..... the benefits are MASSIVE!  Just do it.

Q4T
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

gah

Quote from: Phishy69 on April 28, 2009, 06:39:08 PM
I quit this week as well.  It was high time and I always said that I would not have smokes around my family so I thought now would be a good time to kick it. 
The nice weather makes it a tad more difficult  :frustrated: but there's always gonna be some excuse to put it off.

Awesome man. I am on day 2 myself. We can definitely do this. Keep it up.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

UncleEbinezer

So I am posting in here to say that I am going to try and quit smoking...again.  I have been really just fooling myself for a long time and may be fooling myself again, but I just need to quit this shit!  My wife absolutely hates it and I have been using the excuse that I have been smoking for 15 years. 

The thing that is stranger to me is that I can actually go several days without a cigarette and its not a big issue.  It usually happens over the weekend when I'm with my wife, but come Monday morning its like...FREEDOM and on the way to work I have one. 

Pretty stupid I know, but thats how its been going.  I have tried almost everything but today it just dawned on me how embarrassing it is that I can't make this one change in my life that will improve things for myself.  Its just smoking.  I have changed my habits up so much that I only smoke in the morning and at lunch.  I don't smoke in the evening and on the weekends.  I am going to start again tomorrow.  Hopefully I can report on my morning return to the paug that I will have had zero ciggys from this post until then.   Wish me luck!
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

mbw

w00t.

i gotta try again myself.

thatfargone

Question for you all that quit.  How did you do it?  Patch, gum, cold turkey???

I was able to quit last year using the patch.  I started again when my Dad died, and tried the patch again a few months ago.  It only lasted for a few hours and was nothing like when I quit the 1st time...it did nothing.  I majored in psych and I am not totally over loosing my Dad so I know there is f'd up psychological shit going on which is probably making it more difficult.

So I guess my question really is: Have any of you tried the anti-depressant drugs that they prescribe for quitting.?  I hear mixed things.

Thanks!
Quote from: McGrupp on November 17, 2010, 02:27:48 PM

Don't FUCK with the dead. Bobby will kick your ass. You remember this, thatfargone. Dead is SER BIZ.

postjack

congrats on your decision! don't be to hard on yourself, nicotine is so much more addictive then we think it is.  I didn't comprehend the fullness of it's grasp on me until I was quit several months.  it is devious the irrational mental tricks cigarettes pull on you to get you back.

sounds like you are in a good place to quit, what with how much you have cut back already.  fuck cigarettes, you don't need them and will enjoy yourself more without them.
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

postjack

Quote from: thatfargone on February 15, 2010, 03:40:38 PM
Question for you all that quit.  How did you do it?  Patch, gum, cold turkey???

I was able to quit last year using the patch.  I started again when my Dad died, and tried the patch again a few months ago.  It only lasted for a few hours and was nothing like when I quit the 1st time...it did nothing.  I majored in psych and I am not totally over loosing my Dad so I know there is f'd up psychological shit going on which is probably making it more difficult.

So I guess my question really is: Have any of you tried the anti-depressant drugs that they prescribe for quitting.?  I hear mixed things.

Thanks!

I took chantix for 4-5 weeks. I'd say it made the initial quitting about 30% easier, just like they claim in their studies. side effects were the very common lucid and bizarre dreams, and the less common rather severe afternoon/evening nausea, which is why I quit taking it.

nicotine replacement never worked for me.  patches, gum, lozenges. I think I had to just get the nicotine out of my system. but nicotine gum worked for my GF.
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::