News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Quitting is Contagious

Started by gah, April 20, 2009, 10:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

gah

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

thatfargone

Thanks for the info postjack. 

My doctor recommended it because it worked for him however I feel that the psychological side effects might be a problem.  Unfortunately, I have a feeling that most of these types of drugs have similar effects, I know Zyban does.  "Suicidal idealization" it not a side effect I want to toy with.
Quote from: McGrupp on November 17, 2010, 02:27:48 PM

Don't FUCK with the dead. Bobby will kick your ass. You remember this, thatfargone. Dead is SER BIZ.

Superfreakie

Quote from: thatfargone on February 15, 2010, 03:40:38 PM
Question for you all that quit.  How did you do it?  Patch, gum, cold turkey???

Cold turkey. Never looked back.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: thatfargone on February 15, 2010, 04:10:59 PM
Thanks for the info postjack. 

My doctor recommended it because it worked for him however I feel that the psychological side effects might be a problem.  Unfortunately, I have a feeling that most of these types of drugs have similar effects, I know Zyban does.  "Suicidal idealization" it not a side effect I want to toy with.

I tried chantix, but I only tried it half ass which is why it didn't work for me, however both my mother and father have been done since June 1 of this year and they smoked for 30+ years.  I am relaly impressed actually at the ability chantix has.  I have other friends that took it as well and it helped them. 

When I did take it, the lucid dreams were there, but I actually looked forward to them where some people I have spoken to had to stop.  I was concerned with the "suicide" stuff that goes along with Zyban and stuff, but I felt like Chantix did not affect me advesrely.  I should have stuck with it, but as I stated I did it half way hence the continuing saga.

I'm actually going to try using some chewing sticks as I think my problem is more about the oral fixation (go ahead and insert joke) than the nicotine addiction.  I have come to this conclusion based on the fact that I can go several days without smoking and then I fail again.  We'll see how this new experiment goes.  I hope it works. 
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

khalpin

Quote from: Superfreakie on February 15, 2010, 04:50:53 PM
Quote from: thatfargone on February 15, 2010, 03:40:38 PM
Question for you all that quit.  How did you do it?  Patch, gum, cold turkey???

Cold turkey. Never looked back.

thatfargone

Thanks for the info UncleEbinezer.

I also tend to have a bit of the fixation.  I quit once in HS and did it cold turkey with a shit load of gum and coffer stirrers to gnaw on.

I fear I am more f'd up in the head over life events at the moment and it probably isn't the best time to try and quit...but there never is a good time anyhow when you make excuses for a unhealthy addiction.  I just am sick of it and it pisses me off I started again!

Superfreakie, what did you do when you had cravings...just sheer will power?
Quote from: McGrupp on November 17, 2010, 02:27:48 PM

Don't FUCK with the dead. Bobby will kick your ass. You remember this, thatfargone. Dead is SER BIZ.

mattstick

Mind over matter.

If you can stop yourself from not eating at McDonald's every day and you can stop yourself from not masturbating in public then you can quit smoking.

kellerb

Quote from: mattstick on February 15, 2010, 05:12:25 PM
and you can stop yourself from not masturbating in public then you can quit smoking.

on a position note, I rarely go to mcdonalds

postjack

Quote from: kellerb on February 15, 2010, 05:59:09 PM
Quote from: mattstick on February 15, 2010, 05:12:25 PM
and you can stop yourself from not masturbating in public then you can quit smoking.

on a position note, I rarely go to mcdonalds

these days I only go to mcdonalds to masturbate and smoke near the dumpster. no way would I poison my body with that shite!
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

sls.stormyrider

Good luck - hope it works out for you.

try smokefree.gov

under the best circumstances, quitting is successful about 35% of the time. this is with a combination of some sort of emotional support (see website above) and either nicotine replacement or drugs (Chantex, zyban etc), but everyone is different. I know a few people who started exercising when they quit and swear by it.

this isn't to say you shouldn't try - you should and you may be one of the 35%. I know lots of them.

it is to say that it is significantly harder than not eating at McD's or mind over matter for many people. If that's all is was for you Matt, then you were lucky.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

mattstick

It's the approach I took - mind over matter.  I was ready to quit, which is a big part of it.

kellerb

Quote from: slslbs on February 15, 2010, 07:01:26 PM
Good luck - hope it works out for you.

try smokefree.gov

under the best circumstances, quitting is successful about 35% of the time. this is with a combination of some sort of emotional support (see website above) and either nicotine replacement or drugs (Chantex, zyban etc), but everyone is different. I know a few people who started exercising when they quit and swear by it.

this isn't to say you shouldn't try - you should and you may be one of the 35%. I know lots of them.

it is to say that it is significantly harder than not eating at McD's or mind over matter for many people. If that's all is was for you Matt, then you were lucky.

As long as it doesn't cause me to stop masturbating in public, I suppose its for the best.

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: mattstick on February 15, 2010, 07:57:50 PM

It's the approach I took - mind over matter.  I was ready to quit, which is a big part of it.

good for you that it worked.
some people are more addicted than you probably were.
clearly, you need to be ready to quit.
every day, I spend considerable amount of time trying to get people to quit. they all try.
nothing works universally.
the things that work the best are having a heart attack, stent, or bypass surgery, but even that doesn't work all the time (UncleEb and the others, you don't want to go there)
people who can't quit aren't inherently weak - they're addicted. the tobacco companies knew what they were doing.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Superfreakie

Quote from: slslbs on February 15, 2010, 09:00:16 PM
Quote from: mattstick on February 15, 2010, 07:57:50 PM

good for you that it worked.
some people are more addicted than you probably were.
clearly, you need to be ready to quit.
every day, I spend considerable amount of time trying to get people to quit. they all try.
nothing works universally.
the things that work the best are having a heart attack, stent, or bypass surgery, but even that doesn't work all the time (UncleEb and the others, you don't want to go there)
people who can't quit aren't inherently weak - they're addicted. the tobacco companies knew what they were doing.

Are you a doctor Steve? I remember you writing about med school....
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.