News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

06/04 - Jones Beach Amphitheater - Wantagh, NY - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by Rift, June 05, 2009, 12:15:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rift

Let's hear about it.  8-)

Phish
6/4/09
Jones Beach Amphitheater - Wantagh, NY

Set 1
Grind, Divided Sky, Ocelet, The Squirming Coil, Punch You in the Eye, Dirt, NICU, Story of the Ghost, Run Like an Antelope

Set 2
Water in the Sky, Birds of a Feather, Drowned-> Meatstick*, Time Turns Elastic, Waste, You Enjoy Myself

Encore
Rock & Roll

* With Japanese Lyrics
Quote from: flow00Let's enjoy the tunes. The boys are back and that's what matters. 8)

WhatstheUse?

so it looks like im the first nerd back to his computer...

I just got back to the hotel, had yet another fantastic night.  Met up briefly with August, hoodie, guyforget, redrum, and m-bird before the show.

Phish seemed to loosen up a bit tonight, and took some chances during the ghost and drowned jams.  I thought both kinda turned out "meh" in the end, but I was glad to see they were at least trying to jam out a bit.  Overall, I enjoyed Tuesdays show better but still had an absolute blast and can't wait for tomorrow!  :banana:

Bring in the dude!

WhatstheUse?

Grind - appropriate for Mike's birthday yesterday

The Divided Sky - absolutely SOLID

Ocelot - I'm liking this more and more, I liked this jam much better than the fenway one too

The Squirming Coil - pretty darn solid as well, short page outro

Punch You in the Eye - well played, nice groove in the beginning and the crowd was lovin' it....Trey almost screwed up the same part they did at hampton, but then quickly caught himself iirc

Dirt - nice, slightly re-arranged with Mike taking a solo on the melody after Trey's first time

NICU - standard, nothing special

Ghost - first real attempt @ really jamming and modulating keys and such.... turned into a major, almost bathtub gin like jam, but I wasn't too blown away

Run Like An Antelope - some pretty good tension, Page was on fire and kept the dissonance coming.  The end fell a little flat, and Trey seemed like he couldn't quite keep up with the tempo

SET TWO

Water In The Sky - slow version...really well played, but kinda killed the energy

Birds Of A Feather - SICK, straight up rocking.  My favorite song of the night

Drowned - Energy was pretty high @ this point and the first half or so of the jam was fantastic but the end seemed to drag on far too long

Meatstick - fun, w/ japanese lyrics..... barely anyone was doing the dance though!  :-P

Time Turns Elastic - bleh...i wasn't a hater until now but this version fell pretty flat. The jam @ the end was worthless.  August totally called this one..

Waste - nice version with nice trey solo @ the end

You Enjoy Myself -

ENCORE

Rock and Roll - High energy, pretty rocking but nothing speciel... I enjoyed the hampton version much better

Bring in the dude!

messengerbird

I had a blast. The energy was great. My favorites of the night were the Punch, NICU, Waste, Divided and Yem.
IMO solid sets and on point.
happiness everywhere, from band and fans alike.

I give this show a big  :-D.
Central part of town, I'm going down

Quote from: Phishy69 on January 05, 2010, 11:12:04 PM
A match made in Gamehenge  :-D

khalpin

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on June 05, 2009, 01:45:39 AM

You Enjoy Myself -

Nothing?  No opinion whatsoever?  C'MON!  THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME!!!  HOW WAS THE YEM?   :lol:

edit: Now listening to the nospoilers mp3.  There's 20 minutes of pre-show music on that mp3 file.  Jeez.  Glad I finally fast forwarded after 3 minutes or so.

shoreline99

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

mattstick

Drowned was tight > Jones Beach Jam HOT HOT HOT

Meatstick is rad, with some killer work from Page.

Absolutely DIRTY YEM - reminded me of Deer Creek '97.

willsteele

I'm the one who's gonna have to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.

mattstick

Some YEMs are all Mike, and Trey just sort of grooves along, this one (and why it reminds me of Deer Creek) features the whole band just going off with Mike leading the way.

Great YEM jam.

willsteele

I'm the one who's gonna have to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.

sunrisevt

Gotcha covered, khalpin--

Quote from: khalpin on June 05, 2009, 07:26:29 AM
Quote from: WhatstheUse? on June 05, 2009, 01:45:39 AM

You Enjoy Myself -Mike is a PIMP

Nothing?  No opinion whatsoever?  C'MON!  THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME!!!  HOW WAS THE YEM?   :lol:

edit: Now listening to the nospoilers mp3.  There's 20 minutes of pre-show music on that mp3 file.  Jeez.  Glad I finally fast forwarded after 3 minutes or so.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

rowjimmy

From a quick listen at work...

Grind - Cool. except for one thing. The LP recording is too quiet. There is no reason that with these four standing in front of a pair of decent mics for the levels to be this low. Zero reason. That's bad engineering.

Divided Sky - sweet and well done.

Ocelot - This is def. getting better with age. Lots of fun.

Coil - Nice coil. not an epic page outro but then, it wasn't a set closer so there was business that needed attending

PYITE - Nice. I didn't spot any flubs so, even if they were there, they weren't. Kick ass

Dirt - I love this song lots (see week4paug tribute record). Cool Gordo solo before a cool Trey arpeggio-based run and then standard thematic solo. Have I mentioned that I love this song? Glad to hear it's in the rotation.

NICU - Last night, while listening to the stream, I called Igbo to discuss some things. His wife answered and we were chatting when NICU started. I excitedly blurted out "NICU!" while she was talking and that pretty much killed the conversation. she knew where my head was at and passed the phone. This version is good.

Ghost - It's a ripping jam not a cow funk jam. I dig it. For a few seconds near the end it rides on the synth and Trey seems to want to bring it back to the standard Ghost groove but then they slow it down to a stop. Frankly, after one listen (spotty stream aside) I think that Ghost is pretty good.

Antelope - oooh... this is a nice way to close out a set and leave them wanting more. Not best ever or anything but it was cool.

antelope19

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 05, 2009, 09:39:06 AM

Grind - Cool. except for one thing. The LP recording is too quiet. There is no reason that with these four standing in front of a pair of decent mics for the levels to be this low. Zero reason. That's bad engineering.

Coil - Nice coil. not an epic page outro but then, it wasn't a set closer so there was business that needed attending

PYITE - Nice. I didn't spot any flubs so, even if they were there, they weren't. Kick ass

Dirt - I love this song lots (see week4paug tribute record). Cool Gordo solo before a cool Trey arpeggio-based run and then standard thematic solo. Have I mentioned that I love this song? Glad to hear it's in the rotation.

NICU - Last night, while listening to the stream, I called Igbo to discuss some things. His wife answered and we were chatting when NICU started. I excitedly blurted out "NICU!" while she was talking and that pretty much killed the conversation. she knew where my head was at and passed the phone. This version is good.

Ghost - It's a ripping jam not a cow funk jam. I dig it. For a few seconds near the end it rides on the synth and Trey seems to want to bring it back to the standard Ghost groove but then they slow it down to a stop. Frankly, after one listen (spotty stream aside) I think that Ghost is pretty good.

Antelope - oooh... this is a nice way to close out a set and leave them wanting more. Not best ever or anything but it was cool.

Mental note: Things not to say to a girl in the middle of a conversation.   :-)
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

mattstick

So is this the summer of YEM?  I didn't expect to see it again for a while after Fenway but it showed up just 2 nights later.

sunrisevt

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 05, 2009, 09:39:06 AM

My thoughts exactly.

edit: matt, I'm just hoping it isn't the summer of TTE. I'm 2 for 2 here... I liked it better last night than Sunday, but I won't be sad if I miss it @ GW and SPAC.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.