News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R7/W02: 12-01-1996 Pauley Pavillion, Los Angeles, CA

Started by khalpin, June 28, 2009, 10:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

khalpin

Phish
12/1/96
Pauley Pavilion
Los Angeles, CA

Source: FOB Neumann KM-140 > DA-P1

Seed: DAT > Seagate Archive Python 01931 > dat2wav 1.2 >
     Sound Forge 4.5 (to 44.1k @ highest accuracy; anti-alias
filter; edits shown below) >
     CDWav > shnXP (updated shn2k)  by Paul Hofferkamp
(gruven42@yahoo.com)

--No DAE--

Disc I:

-Set I-
01. Peaches en Regalia
02. Poor Heart
03. Cavern
04. Cars, Trucks and Buses
05. Character Zero
06. The Curtain
07. Down With Disease
08. Train Song
09. The Horse >
10. Silent in the Morning
11. Sample in a Jar
12. Run Like an Antelope

Disc II:

-Set II-
01. Tweezer >
02. Sparkle
03. Simple
04. A Day in the Life
05. Reba

Disc III:

01. Swept Away >
02. Steep >
03. Tweezer Reprise >
04. Johnny B. Goode
05. Slave to the Traffic Light
-Encore-
06. Highway to Hell

shn's:
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=526313

mp3's:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/klo10a
http://www.sendspace.com/file/4774ow

Submitted Reviews:

1- August
2- Khalpin
3- RJ
4- Pie Guy
5- MiamiPhish
6- Flow00

fauxpaxfauxreal

blatboom

birdman

Paug FTMFW!

flow00

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on June 28, 2009, 10:17:01 PM
great show.

Agreed. Fall 2006 is very underrated.

Great shows:
10/31, 11/2, 11/13 (18-minute Suzie), 11/27, 11/30, 12/4, 12/6.

Hicks

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

G. Augusto

mattstick

rowjimmy

It's been forever since I rocked any fall '96.
Thanks!

PIE-GUY

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Bobafett

thanks for this.  IDK it.  i need to move on past this 3.0 binge i've been on anyway.
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

rowjimmy

12-01-96

As a general rule, I believe that any show on 12-1 will rule your face. Lets see if this one bears out the theory.

Set 1
Peaches - Great opener. How can you not be stoked for this? (I suppose you could hate Zappa or something...)

Poor Heart - Early Bluegrassy boogie... Ok.

Cavern - Cool. A Second Opener. It's like a whole new set! (Standard ver.)

CTB - Groovy.

Zero - The set is over already??? Seriously, though, this is always better in the middle of a first set than at the end of a show. This one does rock, of course; but have you ever recommended a show based on Character Zero?

Curtain - Sweet! Well played and a nice finish that eases

> DWD - Rockin. this doesn't realy go too far out but it stays way up the whole time.

Train Song - Nice. Standard

Horse > Silent - Also Standard. I do love it though.

Sample - Rock... Man, if this closed the set I'd be way disappointed. However, they did play

Antelope - It's a good one but did not blow my mind.

I'm gonna give this whole set a re-do and post it with my second set review. At this point, I'm not super stoked about it.

G. Augusto

Peaches - First since NYE '94 (144 shows) as a nod to the hometown boy. A few shaky parts but nothing too bad.

Heart/Cavern - They work well here. It's a '96 1st set...

CTB - A little bit of Trey on the mini kit and Page stretches out nicely on the grand.

Zero - I've said it before...I *LUV* '96 Zeros. Trey just completely shrages up and down the West Coast before they end it with the vocal harmony outro. Sweet.

Curtain - Trey gives Zappa a little shout before they start this one up. Played well.

Disease - A little lyrical switcheroo. Jam rolls along nicely before it starts peaking a bunch ~ the &:30 mark. Just like most other '95 and '96 versions, this one is short and solid.

Train/Horse/Silent/Sample - Not my favorite quartet, but it is Fall '96 and they were played well.

Antelope - ~6:45 in, it gets quite hectic. The peak is rather killer and the tune serves its purpose as a ragin' closer. Continuing the Fall '96 trend, Trey throws in a Norton Charlton Heston.

Tweezer - Rowdy crowd, eh? This was the first time it had been used as any set opener since 12-31-1993. Pretty cool. A little megaphone during the Ebeneezer part. They drop straight into the jam, which starts out with plenty of room. I love when Fish mimics Trey's bends ~ 6:30. Fish is pretty vocal for this one (and most of the set) as he sits back and laughs. A little mini kit ~ 13 in which actually works well here. Then...THE EVILZ for the last 5 minutes. What's more EVIL than THE EVILZ? THE EVIL SLOWDOWN.

Sparkle - Eh..odd placement, but whatevs. Super fast and actually...fucking ripping!

Simple - Mike is dropping BALMS during the beginning of this. Nasty, disgusting BALMS. This is prolly one of the shortest Fall '96 versions and doesn't rely on the mini kit to make it happen. I really enjoyed the outro version which eventually dissolves into >>>

ADITL - Played well.

Reba - Always nice to hear a second set Reba. The composed section was virtually flawless. The jam is sweet, but not a '96 version that is notable. Kinda reminded me of the MSG version in that it was really solid, but didn't do much away from the ordinary.

Swept/Steep/Reprise - 3 songs. 5 minutes. Is it the closer? Naw.

JBG - Slammin'! Nice version to send everyone home. Right? Naw. >>>

Slave - Right into it. Does what Slave does and caps of the set perfectly.

Highway - 2 Hellz. Always welcome.

This is Fall '96 for ya. I'm a big fan of a SOLID show and this is one of them.
Fantastic Tweezer and tight playing gets this one a solid A.
a

rowjimmy

More ipod typing. Despite my editing, typos may persist.

12-01-96
Set one do-over

Peaches - great opener. People today long for simple throwaway covers like C&P or Roses when they should be praying for this slice of awesome.

Poor Heart - good energy in this bluegrass boogie. Trey and Page rip up their solos the whole band is on.

Cavern - screamers near the taperssection are stoked and my iPod spellcheck knows the word "taperssection". Sweet. This "Cavern" is pretty good too.

CTB - always liked this tune. Didn't we have one last week? Page is great. Laid back and groovy is a nice feeling.

Zero - this version rips. Classic vocal finish sounds great too.

Curtain - if "curtain with" is old school and, by virtue of it having been played in 2000 and Phish 2.0, "curtain with" is also new school so, wouldn't that make this form of the song "middle school"?  /gumbo
Silliness aside, I love this and its placement feels right. It is well played and I like the way the usual ending percolates

> DWD - the primary portion of this is on. The jam gets mellow but not down tempo midway through (5min) it sounds great and gives Trey room to work up a sweat. He does too with Fish holding it down rock solid like.

Train Song - Sweet breather

Horse > Silent - Horse is well played and Silent is gorgeous. One could make a case that the band has drained the energy from the set at this point but I love Silent, particularly when Trey nails the ending

Lope- quiet opening jig sounds good to me. First gear has a nice groove that gets the neck workin'. Things stay fairly even and all rock. @7 they lock into something atypical but still keepi it up and then shift up higher. Rawk! One more gearshift then drop down for the chitchat. No "rye rye" yadda; instead, a little "Norton Charleton 
Heston, been you to have and spike, man?" and then proper rage to end the song and set.

See my previous writeup of set one for a perfect example of how setting and mood may affect a review.

Set two

Tweezer - I like how they halt the riff and restart as it wasn't quite happening for Trey but, after a reset they're blazing. ( also love the tweaking around the tapers.) nice pre-ebenezer groove. Spacy ebeneezer 
leads to a nice quiet place with Page directing as Trey takes a snakey solo. This is top notch groove.  Sounds like Trey's Leslie effect is engaged for added trippiness while Page is still moving mountains over on the piano. Mike and Fish locked in. @10 shit starts to go up three gears in energy with distinct waves of trippy as Fish 
drops out and back in and all cue right off of him or Trey for  reentry. Meltdown @12 leads Trey to the minikit and Page to the clav. 
Trey gets back on the doc and shreds it up round 15. Dark metalish jam ensues. With Fish "vocalizing" a before it slows down gets darker and  with a pounding finale finish they sneak

> Sparkle - ok. This tune seems almost normal after that.

Simple - I'm not a huge fan of this song but I'm going in hoping for one of those epic versions that convinced everyone on tour (while I was home with a kid and day-job) that this song is so great. Trey plays a nice melodic solo. 's'alright.

ADITL - ahhh Page sings. Typical version with a nice build at the finish

Reba -!! Composed stuff sounds good to me but this jam is sweet. It's really quiet both ontage and in the chatting section near the taper.   Nice jam.

Swept away > Steep - yeah that'll snap the trippers out of a zone

> Tweezer Rep - sweet. Now those zoned out trippers think they just saw the longest tweezer since Memphis 95. Awesome.  Nice Rep btw.

> JBG - rawk! This has the energy of Antelope's peak. Seems like the set should be over after that crazy hour long tweezer (what's that? When'd they play Reba? A Day In the Life??? Was I even here for that?)

> slave - lovely. Good way to wrap up the set.

Encore
Hwy to hell - rawk encore can't go wrong with that

Ok. this show started kinda Iffy for me. Not that I don't love Peaches and, in fact, there is nothing wrong with the first set other than it doesn't seems to flow for me. There's good stuff there though. Curtain > Disease is cool but the DWD is no mind blower. Antelope too, is really rockin, can't find any fault with it but it's not particularly exceptional. Just plain solid. Set Two takes it up a notch with an great but not overlong Tweezer. A nice solid Reba, ADITL, JBG, and wrapping up with a good Slave. The entire set has an usual but very workable, psychedelic, flow.

I'm giving this one an A-.
(set 1 gets a B- but Set two brings it up.)

Nice pic, Kev.

susep

not in the showclub this run but couldn't resist talking about this Simple, the outro jam is beautiful, great telepathy here.

.02$