News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

11/28 - Times Union Center - Albany, NY - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by whatapiper, November 28, 2009, 11:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redrum

Quote from: caravan2001 on December 10, 2009, 12:24:08 AM
So, do you guys think the boys make a decision to stretch out some songs beforehand or do you think it is fully in the moment.....Do they say, okay let's stretch this one out a bit tonight or what?  I mean they've got to have some sort of set planning/setlist writing and if they are going to play one (camden) or two (albany) 25+ minute songs, wouldn't that sort of figure into that plan ahead of time?  I dunno, maybe I am just baked...

i totally know what you're talkin about (even tho i'm baked too.. :-D )
but i've been wondering the same exact thing since the camden sand so everytime they'd start to stretch out when i'm there i've been specifically watching for that. like body language, cues, etc...
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

redrum

@ albany2 we were 4th row floor so during both of those big jamz i was trying to figure it out.
couldn't really tell but if i had to guess, i think it might go both ways.

some are planned & others just happened..  :?
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

sunrisevt

^^^Yeah, you wish Trey would go both ways!  :-P (Ba-dum-bump.)

Seriously, though, I've often wondered the very same thing, and I think you're probably right. In the immortal words of Abe Simpson, "A little from column (A), a little from column (B)."
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

kellerb

Quote from: sunrisevt on December 10, 2009, 09:44:58 AM
^^^Yeah, you wish Trey would go both ways!  :-P (Ba-dum-bump.)

Seriously, though, I've often wondered the very same thing, and I think you're probably right. In the immortal words of Abe Simpson, "A little from column (A), a little from column (B)."

Dear Phish,
There are too many states nowadays.  Please eliminate 3.

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: redrum on December 10, 2009, 12:35:28 AM
some are planned & others just happened..  :?

i think this is it. There are def times when the music just HAPPENS and takes them to "that place" w/o even trying

But I assume there are also other times where they make a concious effort to stretch things out (I think Big Cypress is the best example of this..... I'm pretty sure they went into this show knowing that they were gonna jam like mad)
Bring in the dude!

Marmar

use your ears....

LISTENING to Phish is an art form......the language being spoke is music.....

That being said.....I'm sure they make plans that don't hash out on stage, and I'm sure there are things they don't hash out that play themselves out on stage....IMHO, I can hear when it's happening vs. when it's planned....planned things usually sound a lil more forced, and you can follow the setup to the change being made.....

One of the only downfalls from doing so many txfers/editing/mastering of these guys.....makes it kinda hard to sit back and just listen
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: Marmar on December 10, 2009, 12:35:31 PM
IMHO, I can hear when it's happening vs. when it's planned....planned things usually sound a lil more forced, and you can follow the setup to the change being made.....

absolutely.  most 3.0 segues (with a few exceptions) sound pretty forced.
'
i.e. tweezer->light from cville
Bring in the dude!

Superfreakie

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on December 10, 2009, 12:37:28 PM
IMHO, I can hear when it's happening vs. when it's planned....planned things usually sound a lil more forced, and you can follow the setup to the change being made.....

'

exactly. unfortunately this "sticking to the script" is most responsible for some of the jarring gear shifts and awkward segues that have plague 3.0. What I hear with the -7>Ghost, and I have mentioned this previously, is Trey trying to stick to the script, reaching the 12-15 minute mark (can't remember when exactly) and then saying "okay, now segue" only this time the rest of the band said no way (especially Page). I really would have loved to have watched this jam evolve up close as I bet, initialy, there was a little tension on stage as they forced Trey to extend the jam. That obviously fell away as it morphed into magic but at first I imagine there was a look of WTF from Trey.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

thatfargone

Quote from: Superfreakie on December 10, 2009, 02:41:31 PM
Quote from: WhatstheUse? on December 10, 2009, 12:37:28 PM

'

exactly. unfortunately this "sticking to the script" is most responsible for some of the jarring gear shifts and awkward segues that have plague 3.0. What I hear with the -7>Ghost, and I have mentioned this previously, is Trey trying to stick to the script, reaching the 12-15 minute mark (can't remember when exactly) and then saying "okay, now segue" only this time the rest of the band said no way (especially Page). I really would have loved to have watched this jam evolve up close as I bet, initialy, there was a little tension on stage as they forced Trey to extend the jam. That obviously fell away as it morphed into magic but at first I imagine there was a look of WTF from Trey.

This is EXACTLY as I would have put it.  Trey goes back into the main theme as Page is soloing...Page gets louder and more intense as if to say "f you Trey we're jamming tonight, get in line!!!"  You clearly hear Trey struggling to come up with an idea before Mike walks him through it after that.  trey REALLY wanted to go back into the theme of -7.
Quote from: McGrupp on November 17, 2010, 02:27:48 PM

Don't FUCK with the dead. Bobby will kick your ass. You remember this, thatfargone. Dead is SER BIZ.

WhatstheUse?

the Red Rocks Drowned->C&P, however, was butta!  And definitely planned ahead of time I would assume...
Bring in the dude!

JPhishman

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on December 10, 2009, 03:52:41 PM
the Red Rocks Drowned->C&P, however, was butta!  And definitely planned ahead of time I would assume...
Hell yeah it was! I'm thinkin best segue of 3.0......
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

Hicks

Quote from: JPhishman on December 10, 2009, 05:59:55 PM
Quote from: WhatstheUse? on December 10, 2009, 03:52:41 PM
Hell yeah it was! I'm thinkin best segue of 3.0......

It def. caught me by surprise.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mattstick

I listened to this again... and frankly I think you're all high or something.

Trey struggles throughout most of this Seven Below > Ghost to find a theme that's actually interesting. 

The band bobs and weaves (skillfully) around Trey's lack of interesting playing.  I really believe that the reason there are so many different "themes" in this segment is because Trey can't settle onto anything worthy of what the rest of the band is playing.

Backing up a little, the Split Open & Melt is a trainwreck, seems like nobody was listening to Trey towards the end.

I almost wonder if Page & Mike made a point of not letting Trey finish things early because it sounds like they're ignoring him at the end of Split and they boldly ignore his attempt to end Seven Below.

WhatstheUse?

There is no question that Trey was the weak link in the -7>Ghost

Bring in the dude!

flow00

Quote from: mattstick on December 11, 2009, 08:21:18 AM

I listened to this again... and frankly I think you're all high or something.

Trey struggles throughout most of this Seven Below > Ghost to find a theme that's actually interesting. 

The band bobs and weaves (skillfully) around Trey's lack of interesting playing.  I really believe that the reason there are so many different "themes" in this segment is because Trey can't settle onto anything worthy of what the rest of the band is playing.

Backing up a little, the Split Open & Melt is a trainwreck, seems like nobody was listening to Trey towards the end.

I almost wonder if Page & Mike made a point of not letting Trey finish things early because it sounds like they're ignoring him at the end of Split and they boldly ignore his attempt to end Seven Below.

I'm with you, Matt. Mike and Page do a great job diverting Trey from uninteresting territories. I think the 7 Below>Ghost is overrated. The true treasures this tour, for me, are still 12 minutes or less. Light has been the biggest surprise for me. Great stuff every time.