News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

You can't sell shows on ebay!

Started by smiler82, January 20, 2010, 10:17:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smiler82

Just wanted to make the public here aware.

http://cgi.ebay.com/152-Phish-Live-Concert-Bootleg-Cassette-Tapes_W0QQitemZ270517226065QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic_Cassettes?hash=item3efc154a51

This loser is trying to sell old tapes, none that I can see are releases, which would be the only shows eligable for resale on ebay.

I hate BS like this, post this on other forums, leave him some bad karma comments...

mattstick

I doubt they will sell, and he's not looking to get back more than what he paid for the blank media.

I don't really have a problem with trying to liquidate old tapes like this.

smiler82

I don't think they'll sell either, and I have no problems with liquidating blank media.

It isn't advertised as that though.  He's selling a 'rare find'...

Mr Minor

QuoteMost are labelled as to the date and place of the concerts with a listing of the songs played.  It's rare to see this large of a collection of Phish concert tapes in one place.

:lol:

Glad most are labeled.  And so rare to find someone with a collection of tapes of that magnitude.

sunrisevt

Remember the one a couple of years ago that was billed as a collection truly exceptional in quality and completion, and was mostly dupes of LP releases? That was priceless. :roll:
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

Igbo

I sold off my tape collections of GD and Phish to help pay for my trip to Coventry.

I got reported by kids multiple times to Ebay. Numerous pissy emails from kids stating "hey Dude dont sell tapes. The Band doesnt dig this" blah blah blah.

I kept reposting my auction till it finally went through and closed.

Honestly, for me i didnt give 2 sh*ts because it was funding my trip to see the Band for "the last time."

Tapes are a dead format. Does any really care that someone is buying some Phish tapes? Its probably sitting in Dudes basement not listened to for years and Ebay is a convenient way to get rid of them and to recoup something on the investment of the tapes. Wasnt a 5 pack of Maxell XL II's back in the day like $10-$12?

Fuck, let the Guy be.

UncleEbinezer

I think it is kind of sketchy.  Would you feel the same way if the dude was in the lot trying to sell them?  Either way its not supposed to happen.  I am not being a moralist as I have dubbed plenty of tapes and CD's over the years, but selling it for profit I guess is the issue.  I mean, in the past I had dubbed copies of Phish Albums and what not.  Maybe if the guy just was listing it for like $5 and not $150.  Actually I'd maybe buy for $5.  :)

Lots of rambling here and not much decisiveness.  I guess let it be.
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

smiler82

It's true, blanks were expensive back in the day.  Hell, aren't Mitsui gold's still like $2 each?  I don't think recouping media costs is the issue here.  This site exists because there are bands that allow FREELY tradeable taping.

Maybe all this guys needs is to be made aware.  Doesn't seem like he knows...

whyweigh5.0

If he gets $150 for this that's like getting back $1.01 for each tape.  I don't see a problem with that
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

PIE-GUY

I think the OP is a SPAMMER just trolling on here to try and drive traffic to his ebay sale.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: PIE-GUY on January 20, 2010, 01:24:16 PM
I think the OP is a SPAMMER just trolling on here to try and drive traffic to his ebay sale.
Yup and I also think if he can get something for them, more power to him.  I forked outa few bucks for show tapes on lot back in the 90's, I wish I could get some of that back.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

phishbeatles

I sold all my Phish shows and just regular bootlegs on cassette's at a flea market years ago. I sold them in tubs of like 100 for 20 bux just to get rid of em.

smiler82

wow.

Never thought I'd get so many sour responses here.  It is not my auction, though no one reading this would believe that.  My post count is low, so I must be spamming.  'Quick do a search of other forums and find his other posts...'

I was brought into this scene by some really cool midwest taper's and learned what I thought was the right way to operate when collecting and spreading Phish and other's shows.  My m.o. was always to trade, without exchanging any money.  I swapped several formats, and might even swap a show for a beer.  If I was in love with a particular show, I might make several copies and give them away to people who looked like they needed to hear the goods.

It seems that there are lots of <opinions> here that say that it is ok to sell shows.  To each his own.  I've never bought them, and I always thought paying for them seemed wrong.  I retract my initial statement.  Do what you do best, and flame away...

Bobafett

The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

mattstick

Pretend I still had the capacity to play cassettes...

Would you prefer that I buy 150+ tapes for way more than $200 and send them to this guy, have him dub them, then have him dump his tapes in a landfill, or is it better for me to buy his tapes?