News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

GDead Thread

Started by VA $l!m, August 26, 2005, 06:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mistercharlie and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Gumbo72203

Hey guys!

I'm curious if you could all give me your most badass Jack Straw recommendations.  I'm looking for ones that reallllllllly hit on all cylinders during the jam, with the biggest Phil bombs.  All eras!  I keep searching for a favorite and I don't have one, and I love it when they really land that Truckin-style bomb hit.

Thank you!!
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

Hicks

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on August 18, 2018, 02:25:49 PM
Hey guys!

I'm curious if you could all give me your most badass Jack Straw recommendations.  I'm looking for ones that reallllllllly hit on all cylinders during the jam, with the biggest Phil bombs.  All eras!  I keep searching for a favorite and I don't have one, and I love it when they really land that Truckin-style bomb hit.

Thank you!!

1-22-78 Daves Picks 23 is pretty cylindery.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

VA $l!m

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on August 18, 2018, 02:25:49 PM
Hey guys!

Thank you!!
yeah if you're looking for the loud energetic ones than 78 is the sweet spot.
ill see if i can pull a few specifics for ya.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

kellerb

5/8/77 is maybe the easy choice.  One of the first ones I heard and still pretty pristine.

VA $l!m

6-4-78 is one of them.

honestly now you have me going crazy listening thru tapes b/c i can hear the one in my head thats my fav version and i cant remember which it is, lol.

whatthecello42

nab

11-17-72 and 12-29-77 are both versions I remember off the top of my head..

mattstick

4/16/78 Huntington, WV is top of mind over here...

Gumbo72203

Sweet, thanks guys!  I think I'm more partial to the post-Keith versions for the power simply because I dig when the organ is there, but I'll check out these!  I swear there was one from '89 that was always considered THE version with the biggest bang in the jam, and the most power coming back into the "Jack straw from Wichita" refrain. 

On another note, I listened to 3/26/73 yesterday and holy good grief!  What playing!  And the tape sound!  It's literally just perfect.  The Truckin' -> WRS Prelude -> Jam -> Wharf Rat bit was fucking sublime. 

What really stood out to me though in that show is the caliber of Billy's playing in the opening The Promised Land.  Those snare rolls are just to die for. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

nab

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on August 19, 2018, 09:37:45 AM
  I swear there was one from '89 that was always considered THE version with the biggest bang in the jam, and the most power coming back into the "Jack straw from Wichita" refrain. 

It should be noted that the 11-17-72 version is the only version actually played in Wichita. 

VA $l!m

Quote from: nab on August 19, 2018, 12:24:11 PM
  I swear there was one from '89 that was always considered THE version with the biggest bang in the jam, and the most power coming back into the "Jack straw from Wichita" refrain. 

It should be noted that the 11-17-72 version is the only version actually played in Wichita.
lol just realized you helped me find another error in old deadbase IX's lists. They don't have the JAck Straw. Updating now. thanks.

nab

Quote from: VA $l!m on August 19, 2018, 12:38:30 PM

love that wichita show. pretty sure its got one of my fav hes gones, but just peaking at my deadbase they didnt play JAck Straw that show Nab... maybe im not awake yet tho.  :|

Sure they did:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave%27s_Picks_Volume_11

Deadbase can be off from time to time on setlists. 

VA $l!m

and yeah, gonna pull out that show today. one of my favs. Cumberland and hes gone if i recall both some of my fav versions.

nab

Quote from: VA $l!m on August 19, 2018, 01:02:28 PM

lol just realized you helped me find another error in old deadbase IX's lists. They don't have the JAck Straw. Updating now. thanks.

Gotcha

VA $l!m

Quote from: nab on August 19, 2018, 01:03:07 PM
Quote from: VA $l!m on August 19, 2018, 12:38:30 PM

love that wichita show. pretty sure its got one of my fav hes gones, but just peaking at my deadbase they didnt play JAck Straw that show Nab... maybe im not awake yet tho.  :|

Sure they did:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave%27s_Picks_Volume_11

Deadbase can be off from time to time on setlists.
yeah i just updated my post, srry for that, thanks! its not easy to find the old misprints. another one down!