News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Have you heard about...? (Politics edition)

Started by VDB, November 30, 2010, 10:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

antelope19

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on December 17, 2010, 09:30:59 AM
Charleston and college girls get along very nicely, it's true.

"nicely" doesn't even begin to describe it.   :-)
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

VDB

Quote from: antelope19 on December 17, 2010, 09:33:04 AM
Quote from: V00D00BR3W on December 17, 2010, 09:30:59 AM
Charleston and college girls get along very nicely, it's true.

"nicely" doesn't even begin to describe it.   :-)

I have to be discrete. I'm a married man.
Is this still Wombat?

susep

predictions of the Euro collapsing in 2011 and the price of oil increasing to between $150-200/barrel? :samurai: 

Poster Nutbag

Quote from: susep73 on December 17, 2010, 01:07:39 PM
predictions of the Euro collapsing in 2011 and the price of oil increasing to between $150-200/barrel? :samurai:

Heard today that they're thinking of forcing Greece to go back to using the Drachma... But I really don't think that even with the bailouts in Greece, Spain, & Ireland the the Euro is that close to completely failing...
Control for smilers can't be bought...

"Your answer is silly. What'd do you want the song to do? End world hunger?
It's a fucking Phish song, some of them are very complex compositions, some are not.

This one with its complex vocal arrangement falls right in between.
But that and a hook aren't enough so I'll let Trey know his songs have to start giving out handys." RJ

VDB

David Frum suggests increasing drug penalties (and gives an outlandish example) to help reduce demand and thereby cut back on the drug-related violence in Mexico:

QuoteTo help Mexico in its struggle against the gangs, some suggest legalizing drugs in the United States. Legalization would transform drugs into a lawful business and transform the drug gangs into more or less normal corporations. Possibly that's true.

At the same time, legalization would almost certainly increase drug consumption in the United States by huge amounts. It's a solution even more socially costly than the problem.

Perhaps a less dramatic solution would be to force American drug users to confront the cost to others of their bad habit.

People arrested for the first time or with small amounts of drugs are often released with a warning or a few hours of community service. Perhaps that community service should take the form of burial duty at a funeral after a birthday party in Ciudad Juarez.

Someone tell me how shipping pot-smoking Americans off to Mexico to bury birthday party attendees slain in the drug-war crossfire is somehow "a less dramatic solution" ...

(via http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/01/03/frum.mexico.risk/index.html?hpt=T2)
Is this still Wombat?

rowjimmy

The word "ironic" has a new definition:

Rep. Bachmann lands post on Intelligence Committee
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40946997/ns/politics-capitol_hill/

StCarl

:shakehead:  local news in MN was buzzing yesterday after more kang-firmation that she intends to run in the next presidential primary, as well.

She should go for it.  I don't think she can pull off sanity anywhere close to well enough to go anywhere with it.  Bring on the crazy quotes!

Also, regarding Minnesota and the next presidential election, people here know that Dick Cheney personally set former Governor Tim Pawlenty on the path to be the Republican guy and win the next time out.  He could do it, too - with the flannel shirts, the jeans, the nice guy look, and the assumption that the kind of republican that could get elected in MN has got to be a guy who gets along with everybody.  Watch out.  If it isn't Tim Pawlenty, then Dick Cheney loses and that means the terrorists win.
Quote from: McGrupp on January 25, 2011, 02:39:37 PM
your overall taste in phish shows perplexes me.

birdman

Paug FTMFW!

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: StCarl on January 06, 2011, 12:33:47 PM
:shakehead:  local news in MN was buzzing yesterday after more kang-firmation that she intends to run in the next presidential primary, as well.

She should go for it.  I don't think she can pull off sanity anywhere close to well enough to go anywhere with it.  Bring on the crazy quotes!

I'm psyched for a Bachmann run. Let it all out there and show people what she's made of, let the fact checkers at her.

She will be refudiated.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

qop24

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 14, 2011, 11:26:55 PM
Trey actually is totally inspired with ideas up the ass

Quote from: kellerb on July 06, 2011, 07:16:17 PM
When you're on droogz you don't remember which eye's supposed to be lazy

ytowndan

Quote from: qop24 on January 07, 2011, 04:33:09 PM
http://gayrights.change.org/blog/view/chick-fil-a_partners_with_rabid_anti-gay_group

this makes me sad....don't know if I can justify eating there anymore

As a former business owner, I will never understand why a business of any kind would ever get publicly involved in politics or any controversial subject.  No matter which side you choose to support, you're automatically going to piss off half of your customer base.  I guess the exception would be if you're a small business in a really small town (whose citizens all lean one way or the other).  Then I could see how you'd want to be "part of the team".  But that's definitely not the situation here.  This reminds me of earlier last year when Target and Best Buy made large campaign donations to that anti-gay Minnesota nutjob who ran for governor.  It just doesn't make any sense.
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

Hicks

http://gayrights.change.org/blog/view/chick-fil-a_partners_with_rabid_anti-gay_group

Are you really surprised?  I remember walking by one in the mall and they were closed because it was Sunday.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

kellerb

Quote from: Hicks on January 07, 2011, 05:59:50 PM

Are you really surprised?  I remember walking by one in the mall and they were closed because it was Sunday.

Yeah, the founder/CEO/whatever of chickfila is a huge christian.  They're closed on Sundays ostensibly because he wanted his employees to be able to go to church without any job-hour conflicts.  I respect that.  However, its no surprise that he'd partner with an anti-gay group, or any right-wing group in general.

PIE-GUY

Dude, that company was founded by and has always been run by right wing Bible-beaters. Why do you think they're never open on Sundays? You should be at church.

The company's official statement of corporate purpose says that the business exists "to glorify God by being a faithful steward of all that is entrusted to us and to have a positive influence on all who come in contact with Chick-fil-A."

That they support some anti-gay group should surprise nobody.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

antelope19

:-o :-o :-o :-o

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40978517/ns/politics/

Rep. Gabrielle Giffords of Arizona dies after being shot, NPR reports

U.S. Representative Gabrielle Giffords of Arizona and at least six others have died after a gunman sprayed bullets into a public meeting on Saturday, Pima County sheriff's office in Arizona confirmed to National Public Radio.

A gunman ran up to Giffords, 40, and shot her in the head as she addressed supporters outside a Safeway grocery store, according to media reports.

The gunman was in custody.

Giffords, who was re-elected to her third term in November, was hosting her first "Congress on Your Corner" event at the store in northwest Tucson, NPR reported.

Giffords, 40, a Democrat, is married to U.S. astronaut Mark Kelly. She took office in January 2007, emphasizing issues such as immigration reform, embryonic stem-cell research, alternative energy sources and a higher minimum wage.

The Arizona politician's office had been vandalized last March just hours after the House vote overhauling the health care system, The New York Times reported.

This is awful
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment