News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

New turntable/speakers

Started by aphineday, January 01, 2011, 01:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aphineday

Happy 2011 paugers!
Just wanted some advice from those of you established audiophile types out there who have been doing this a while. I'm looking to purchase my first turntable, and possibly some new speakers sometime in the (hopefully) not too distant future. I'm just getting in to this, but I want it to sound good (obviously). Maybe a good idea of where to start with a deck/stylus and then speakers too. I currently have a Denon receiver that I bought on the advice of a friend in 2008. It's not high-end, but it doesn't suck either. I'll update with the model number when I get back home in a couple of days. I want to say it's the 689, but I'm not sure. It looks right, but the wattage seems lower than mine. Either way, that's pretty close to what I'm running now with a Energy 5 speaker/sub package I bought with it. Totally budget'd, but I'm in the market to upgrade for sure when I get the money.

Thanks to anyone with ideas, much appreciated!
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

Marmar

Technics MK1200......workhorse.
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

aphineday

Definitely a "do want" item. What should I be looking to pay for this bad boy? Also, good here for lossless rips?

Hicks

I sell speakers, and can hook some serious deals when you are ready, check it out:

http://www.aperionaudio.com/home.aspx

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Marmar

Tech 1200mkII's will set ya back about $400.....no cartridge or needle.....

Make shure you have a GOOD phono pre-amp....(RIAA EQ....)

and DO NOT skimp on the cartridge/needle.....

1200mkII's are the industry standard....direct drive....YEARS of use out of one.......I wouldn't consider it an "audiophile" grade component, but for the $$$ it's gonna be as close as you'll get without dumping over a grand.....
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

aphineday

Quote from: Marmar on January 03, 2011, 07:54:16 PM

1200mkII's are the industry standard....direct drive....YEARS of use out of one.......I wouldn't consider it an "audiophile" grade component, but for the $$$ it's gonna be as close as you'll get without dumping over a grand.....
Looks like it could get expensive quick, but it's something that is a total investment. I'm in for sure. May have to buy it in pieces, but I'm in. What should I be looking for in a cartridge/needle?
Hicks, thanks for those links! Shit looks dope. I'm assuming you'll be able to steer me in the right direction when I can save some scratch to grab speakers?

zimbra

Quote from: Hicks on January 03, 2011, 04:03:05 PM
I sell speakers, and can hook some serious deals when you are ready, check it out:

When I met you at the Gordo show you had to tell me this like 10 times. 
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

PIE-GUY

Quote from: zimbra on January 04, 2011, 04:11:47 AM
Quote from: Hicks on January 03, 2011, 04:03:05 PM

When I met you at the Gordo show you had to tell me this like 10 times.

the kid's a guru!!

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

antelope19

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

Igbo

I think everyone knows my love for my Technics 1200, i've posted it multiple times so i dont need to say how great of a table it is. Audiophile sure it's not, but  high quality and will last forever, yes.

Buuuuuut, if its your 1st turntable and $$$ may be an issue, why blow your wad asking "audiophile" types what to be? Next thing you know your in for $500+. Fuck it man, its your first turntable, look on craigslist. There are always people selling tables. You can get a decent Dual or even a used technics for $500 with a cartridge. OR, buy a shitbox table like a Best Buy Sony for $90 just to get started.

Basically, my advice is just get a good started table and save your money TO BUY RECORDS!!!! Who wants to have a sick system and your bargain bin scratchy copy of Frampton Comes Alive to play it on?

Hicks

Quote from: Igbo on January 04, 2011, 11:14:44 AM
I think everyone knows my love for my Technics 1200, i've posted it multiple times so i dont need to say how great of a table it is. Audiophile sure it's not, but  high quality and will last forever, yes.

Buuuuuut, if its your 1st turntable and $$$ may be an issue, why blow your wad asking "audiophile" types what to be? Next thing you know your in for $500+. Fuck it man, its your first turntable, look on craigslist. There are always people selling tables. You can get a decent Dual or even a used technics for $500 with a cartridge. OR, buy a shitbox table like a Best Buy Sony for $90 just to get started.

Basically, my advice is just get a good started table and save your money TO BUY RECORDS!!!! Who wants to have a sick system and your bargain bin scratchy copy of Frampton Comes Alive to play it on?

I agree, unless you want to DJ you don't really need a 1200.

Pick up a Technics DL or Pioneer direct drive turntable that's in good shape at Goodwill for $50 or so and you'll be set. 

Yes, when you are ready to buy speakers I will guru your shit!   :mrgreen:
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mbw

buy some aperions from hicks.

and yeah, craigslist did me well for a turntable.

nab

:Walks by thread:
:Peaks in and waves:
:Exits thread before the urge to buy more equipment gets too serious:

ph92

Quote from: aphineday on January 03, 2011, 08:09:55 PM
Quote from: Marmar on January 03, 2011, 07:54:16 PM

Looks like it could get expensive quick, but it's something that is a total investment. I'm in for sure. May have to buy it in pieces, but I'm in. What should I be looking for in a cartridge/needle?
Hicks, thanks for those links! Shit looks dope. I'm assuming you'll be able to steer me in the right direction when I can save some scratch to grab speakers?
I would suggest not buying a new one, because as the newer versions came out the more features were added. And these features are made for DJ's mostly because it is one of the best tables made for DJ's.

Though it is a GREAT turntable, the "accepted" (from what I've read) turntable for audiophiles is a belt drive for the sole reason that it is quieter. Direct drives are generally more expensive because the direct drive design needs more durable, and higher quality parts.

And that is all I know about turntables. :-D Good luck!

And I'll just let Hicks do his thing. But I'm gonna put in my .02$, I love towers, so I would suggest getting towers for sure. I would suggest you get a 2 channels system if you are mainly going to be listening to music, otherwise surround sound (or any digital recreation) is kind of dumb for music as music generally isn't recorded in 5.1.  I do like surround for one reason, movies. Otherwise I want the closest to all analog setup possible (if the amp has 2 channels, it should be analog). It's when you get all this 2.1,  5.1, 7.1 nonsense that you have a chip splitting up the signal into the respective channels. This can degrade the sound (depending how good the amp is) and give you a false representation of the recording.

But you should for sure shoot for towers if your budget allows it. Especially if you are going with a pure stereo system, because most towers (from what I've seen) have at least one tweeter, one midrange and one woofer.

/.02$

Also my dad owns some Definitive Technology towers and they sound absolutely amazing! I love them so much, so if you can't for some reason find something from Hicks I would suggest them.
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

rowjimmy

I just wanted to jump in hear and say that you should just send the records to me, stick with flac and buy speakers from Hicks.

that is all.