News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Sweet 16 - Round 3 - Gamehenge Region 11-Miles Davis v. 2-Talking Heads

Started by UncleEbinezer, March 25, 2011, 07:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: Hicks on March 26, 2011, 12:30:51 PM
Without Miles there would be no GD or Allmans?

How does that make a lick of sense?

It doesn't?

birdman

Paug FTMFW!

sls.stormyrider

the improvisation used by those bands was based upon jazz, and more specifically Miles (and Trane)
there are a number of interviews citing Miles, and Kind of Blue specifically, as influences over their musical styles.
Duane said that for a while he was listening to the album non - stop.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

barnesy305

fauxpaxfauxreal

sls.stormyrider

one other thing about Miles
remember the Charlie Rose interview, when Trey was talking about Jerry and Zappa being amazing forces on stage?

No one that I've ever seen had the kind of stage presence as Miles - he just emitted this power up there. I remember Kenny Garret blowing this amazing alto solo, but still, I was transfixed on Miles. A true force of nature.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

mbw

Quote from: slslbs on March 26, 2011, 06:58:56 PM
remember the Charlie Rose interview, when Trey was talking about Jerry and Zappa being amazing forces on stage?

actually, it was jerry and bruce  :|

mistercharlie

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on March 26, 2011, 07:02:59 PM

Well, Bruce did give Page that awesome nickname; Mr. Keyboard Player!
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mbw

Quote from: mistercharlie on March 26, 2011, 07:06:42 PM
Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on March 26, 2011, 07:02:59 PM

Well, Bruce did give Page that awesome nickname; Mr. Keyboard Player!

Hey, Mr. Mailbox....

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard

barnesy305

rowjimmy

Multibeast12

fauxpaxfauxreal

Hicks

Miles was certainly influential in the style of jamming that the Allman's and GD developed, but I don't think you can say that free jazz would not have happened without him with guys like Ornette Coleman getting "out" before Miles did.

By the time Bitches Brew arrived in 1970 it was relatively late in the game in terms of psychedelic freakout music.

Obviously Miles towers huge over jazz, probably he and Charlie Parker are the two most important jazz musicians of all time, but I see his contributions to the development of rock as relatively minor.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: Hicks on March 27, 2011, 02:33:58 PM
Miles was certainly influential in the style of jamming that the Allman's and GD developed, but I don't think you can say that free jazz would not have happened without him with guys like Ornette Coleman getting "out" before Miles did.

By the time Bitches Brew arrived in 1970 it was relatively late in the game in terms of psychedelic freakout music.

Obviously Miles towers huge over jazz, probably he and Charlie Parker are the two most important jazz musicians of all time, but I see his contributions to the development of rock as relatively minor.

Really I think that Sun Ra contributed more to rock than Miles, personally.  Miles also gets a lot of credit for developments that he didn't really make on his own, he just popularized them.  I think he's incredible, but totally overrated as far as importance is concerned.