News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R13/W02: 06-15-2011 Verizon Wireless Ampitheater at Encore Park, Alpharetta, GA

Started by sophist, October 17, 2011, 02:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whatapiper

We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

sophist

The Phish from Vermont
2011-06-15
Verizon Wireless Ampitheater at Encore Park
Alpharetta, GA

Rocking the suburbs. 

I think the most transcendent aspect of this show is metaphorically drawn out by Phish or rather Phish's management decision to switch from Lakewood Ampitheater to Encore Park.  Lakewood is no doubt a shit hole among shit holes of venues, but it also has a special place in the heart of Phish fans.  Phish first played Lakewood during its famed Summer 1995 tour, and since then, it has a plethora of hot shows (7/23/97, 7/4/99, 6/24/00) that hold a special place in the hearts of many phans.  The last Lakewood performance was 7/26/03, and if anything, it symbolized the end of an era not only for Phish's reign in that venue, but for the band itself.  Flash forward to the comeback, and the Phish from Vermont finally return to Atlanta for the final two nights of the first leg of their summer tour.  Instead of Lakewood, the venue was Encore Park.  The occasion, the 3rd and 4th of July.  Much fun was had in the midst of a solid cookie cutter run of RAWK peakage and whale calls.  This "stellar" two night run that was sold out prompted the band (or their management) to decide to book another two nights for the first leg of their summer 2011 tour.

This time the band was slated for a Tuesday-Wednesday run.  The opening night found its niche within the signature definition of 3.0 shows.  Some highlights, some lows, and a lot of safe playing.  All in all, it was an alright way to begin a Southeast run.  The second night; however, redefined why this band is struggling on all levels, and affirmed to me that any faith I once had in the Phish from Vermont is now vanished.  As noted in this thread, I did see three more shows after this.  If anything, I felt my commitment to my friends and the fun that would ensue could out weigh my disdain for the current incarnation that is Phowl, I mean Phish. 

The storm that precedes this show, and interrupts this show is legendary.  In its own right, it is one of the worst rain storms I have ever seen.  We spent a good portion of the pre-show in my car waiting out the rain.  When it finally subsided, we made a run for the inside of the venue.  We got down in the pav, and snagged some seats. 

Phish came on shortly after the ticket show time.  Paul and Silas opener.  It was kind of fitting and mildly exciting, but nothing out of the ordinary.  The water theme continued with Back on the Train, Foam, and Water in the Sky.  All were played alright.  It just seemed somewhat cliched and stale to me.  The cloud cover began to get very heavy again, and I think the essence of the storm returning could be felt.  Runaway Jim was very standard and bland.  I think lite beers can be more tasteful than that version.  Army of one?  Really?  It's an alright song, but horrible placement.  I'll confess Roses are Free without a jam is just fucking stupid to me.  Damn you Island Tour for making me want almost a half hour of improvisational bliss.  Timber follows.  At this time, it was beginning to storm again.  The band actually managed to snap out of their transitive state long enough to channel the energy of the storm via Timber.  They drop into Mound.  Mound is unfinished because the storm is way too intense for the band to be playing. 

The crowd is left out to fend for themselves.  Nature then proceeded to fucking reign down on us.  The energy from the storm and from the crowd had a surreal warmth to it.  We could feel this was special, and that we were a part of a unique concert experience.  The torrential down pour was solidifying a place in Phishtory.  This sort of chatter was among the crowd, "the band knows to reward the crowd for sticking it out."  These sort of memes were prevalent, it was the soaking the crowd far more than the storm.  After an eternity of waiting and witnessing a tree fall on part of the venue, the band returned. 

What's this?  They start mound right where they left off.  I will say, that was a neat little trick.  Then the drop into Tweezer.  Okay, I think we might have lift off.  No.  What happened next was the worst excuse of generic, cookie cutter, fucking mailed in bullshit I have ever laid eyes on.  If ever a band lost their way, its fucking Phish.  Last week everyone completely shit on the Raleigh debacle (7-27-03), but this, this was far worse in my eyes (at least they made some effort to at least try to improvise no matter how sloppy it was).  At least with 2.0 I felt sad for them.  I don't even feel sad or bad for them.  If ever a time was right for the band to perform in this sort of manner, it is now where complacency is at an all time high.  Because the crowd that night ate up this steaming pile of half ass nostalgia cookie cutter RAWK.  I not only walked away disgusted by Phish, but by the scene as a whole.  The show fucking sucked. 

F-. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

WhatstheUse?

I pretty much agree w/ your assessment but am blown away that you rank this lower than Raleigh.
Bring in the dude!

McGrupp

I watched this show on the webcast and while I'd definitely rank it in the lower tier of this summer's shows, I don't think it's the worst (or worse than Raleigh 03). I think the fun/insanity factor of the rain actually makes the show kind of cool.

Don't want to put words in Ramsay's mouth, but it seems like him picking this show is more symbolic of his personal feelings about the band at this point in their careers rather than the music being awful (a la raleigh 03).
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

danje

sophist

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on October 18, 2011, 02:04:59 PM
I pretty much agree w/ your assessment but am blown away that you rank this lower than Raleigh.
While Raleigh is bloody awful, they had the balls to try something.  That does more for me than phoning in it in which is what they did on June 15th, 2011.  There is more going on in the 7/27/03 Ghost than anything in 3.0.  While it is a very weak Ghost, in contrast, it slays something like the 12/31/10 Ghost in my opinion.  That's why I rank it higher.  I never thought I would say this, but I couldn't give two shits about them being tighter, it's way worse to me than them being sloppy and improvising.  I know some of you guys find me crazy, but I say this with the utmost sincerity, I think 2.0 is much, much better.  Phish without jamming is like a grilled cheese without the cheese.   

Quote from: McGrupp on October 18, 2011, 02:34:52 PM
I watched this show on the webcast and while I'd definitely rank it in the lower tier of this summer's shows, I don't think it's the worst (or worse than Raleigh 03). I think the fun/insanity factor of the rain actually makes the show kind of cool.

Don't want to put words in Ramsay's mouth, but it seems like him picking this show is more symbolic of his personal feelings about the band at this point in their careers rather than the music being awful (a la raleigh 03).

I think the rain made for a very unique experience.  Hell, you can even ask Erik and Scott, both of whom I spent set break with.  I wasn't in a bad mood at set break or even bitching about the first set.  I was giddy with anticipation for the second set.  I truly felt the excitement of the storm and was excited to see the band feed off the weather.  Instead they came out and did what they always do in 3.0 which is shit out a safe set that the complacent masses eat up like pigs being fed slop.  That's why I picked this show, it's complete and utter garbage to me.  So much more than Raleigh.  What makes Raleigh completely different in my mind is that I think they were aware of how bad it is, and now I see them as being in a bubble of ignorance, where they are completely oblivious to how far they've fallen.  When they were on in 2.0, they were close to the real fucking deal.  When they were off, they were fucking horrible.  In 3.0, the spectrum isn't even noticeable because an off night just means they fucked up a few measures of a song, and an on night means they nailed all of the music.  The difference is just that.  This is to me is the most fucked up part of 3.0.  We "justify" how much "tighter" they are without even acknowledging how far they've fallen as a unit.  That is why this show is an F to me.  It's nothing, it's not even close to real Phish. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Lifeboy

Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

DoW

I also prefer 2.0 to 3.0
the highlights of 2.0 are much better than the highlights of 3.0
although I think the lowlights of 2.0 will never be matched.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

G. Augusto

The embodiment of everything that I hate about current Phish....nothing happening at all.
Halfway through this one (that was a good Timber?  :|) and I'm so fucking bored.

Lifeboy

Quote from: G. Augusto on October 18, 2011, 06:48:49 PM
The embodiment of everything that I hate about current Phish....nothing happening at all.
Halfway through this one (that was a good Timber?  :|) and I'm so fucking bored.

As RJ once said -

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 04, 2011, 03:45:45 PM
Fuck this shit.

I would be bored to tears.

I can only imagine what you went through, aug.

but yeah, I made myself listen to the first set of your pick, and I am gonna spin set II at some point tomorrow, just bc I had never heard it, and had no idea how bad it was. Which is weird, bc I am very familiar with '03 and I absolutely love the winter tour and sever summer shows, so I was curious as to how bad that show was.

But there's no way I can sit through this crap fest. Like I said in the other thread, I have a hard time listening to an entire "good" 3.0 show, so this awful, awful shit show is out of the question. In fact, I can't remember the last time I listened to a 3.0 show, other than being at the actual show.

Quote from: sophist on October 18, 2011, 03:50:14 PM
Enjoy 3.0.

I agree with WTU? though - I think 06/18 is a worse show, but this one isn't far behind.
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

rowjimmy

Quote from: Lifeboy on October 18, 2011, 11:48:58 PM
I agree with WTU? though - I think 06/18 is a worse show, but this one isn't far behind.

That's comparing turds.

It's all shit.

Lifeboy

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 19, 2011, 07:50:43 AM
Quote from: Lifeboy on October 18, 2011, 11:48:58 PM

That's comparing turds.

It's all shit.

Truth - you speak it.

It's not even worth comparing.

MiamiPhish

DoW

I'll write my review later this week.
this show is bad for a different reason than raleigh.  raleigh was sloppy.  this show was just "nothing"  completely went through the motions on this.
my post show reaction was I gave them a break because of the circumstances.  I still stand by that but this show just has nothing really to talk about except the timber.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

Lifeboy

Quote from: bvaz on October 19, 2011, 08:07:36 AM
I'll write my review later this week.
this show is bad for a different reason than raleigh.  raleigh was sloppy.  this show was just "nothing"  completely went through the motions on this.
my post show reaction was I gave them a break because of the circumstances.  I still stand by that but this show just has nothing really to talk about except the timber.

I totally agree!