News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R13/W06: 17April2004 - Thomas and Mack Center, Las Vegas NV

Started by susep, November 13, 2011, 09:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

susep

After careful consideration I was able to narrow my pick down to this, the first show from 2004 in the SOTW forum.  I'm actually a big fan of the previous night's Twist but haven't really dug into this night.  Give it a spin and see how this show and run influenced Trey to end it back in '04.  Big props to Aug for providing the lossless seed. 

Saturday, 04/17/2004
Thomas & Mack Center, Las Vegas, NV

Set 1: Soul Shakedown Party, Halley's Comet -> Tweezer, Ginseng Sullivan, Horn, Sample in a Jar, Piper -> Frankenstein, David Bowie

Set 2: Meatstick[1], Pebbles and Marbles > Prince Caspian[2] -> Simple > Friday, Ghost[3], You Enjoy Myself[4] -> Tweezer Reprise[5]

Encore: Wolfman's Brother[6], The Squirming Coil

[1] Japanese lyrics.
[2] Unfinished.
[3] Down with Disease tease.
[4] Lengthy Meatstick session immediately following the trampolines segment. No vocal jam.
[5] Trey rapped "time for the Meatstick" over intro. Normal lyrics replaced with "won't you step into the Meatstick?"
[6] Sneakin' Sally, Possum, Simple, and Meatstick teases.

lossless:

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=549914

lossy:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/to68go - set 1
http://www.sendspace.com/file/z5uiaa - set 2 + E

DoW

this was on my list as well.  it's a great hate pick.  hopefully I'll be caught up by the end of the week.   :laugh:
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

whatapiper

damn, i was going to pick the night before but that is out of the question now....

easily the worst run of shows I've seen, the Hate will be strong with this one
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

Caravan2001

Not as bad as the last two nights, but that's not saying much...I mean, without Kuroda, they never stood a chance.  I have never been at a concert where the light show was so far removed from any music being played.  It's as if the guy was listening to different music on an iPod and lighting to that....Def had more fun in the hotee than at the shows for this run...

G. Augusto

DoW

I once refused to fill an ISO request for this show because it is so bad.  I just couldn't seed it.

rowjimmy

Quote from: bvaz on November 14, 2011, 07:58:12 AM
I once refused to fill an ISO request for this show because it is so bad.  I just couldn't seed it.

+k

Augustus

sophist

That's some hero level shit. 

Superman
NYC Fire Department
Bvaz 

all heroes. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

mattstick

The best worst part of the show is when Trey is tuning down while jamming in Pebbles & Marbles.

whatapiper

Quote from: sophist on November 15, 2011, 11:09:23 AM

Superman
NYC Fire Department
Bvaz 

all heroes.

For real, I was bvaz for Halloween, shit was insane.   Had to take off the hate in order to enjoy the night with my son, those autographs can really monopolize your time...
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

Augustus

Soul - Doesn't sound too bad with Page on lead vox. Short and safe.

Halley's - OK jam. Attempt at modulation ~8:30. They hit on a nice and mellow groove for a bit that could have gone out further but Trey HF's the fuck out of into straight into >

Tweezer - Odd placement/early combo but I'm for it. Yikes....Jam starts off with another mellow groove. So simple and funky.

Ginseng - Trey comes in with his octave pedal still on. Rookie. Even Page gets a little tripped up on his solo.

Horn - Almost hits the solo. Almost....

Sample - Woah! Vocals! Shit!

Piper - Another oddly placed tune. Short intro. Just an aimless jam. The link up nicely for the last two minutes and actually perform a nice transition into >>>

Frank - Decent, considering....

Bowie - Ultra short intro.Composed is decent. Jam is quite forgettable and Trey has a few big fuckups during the outro section.

Meatstick - Popped in the DVD for this set. By request of the crowd. Trey wiping his nose...Slow tempo. Trey puts Fish on the spot for a solo Japenese vocal.

Pebbles - Composed sections are surprisingly OK. Typical DWD jam ensues. You can see Trey using his rack tunes earlier, but like Mat said, Trey just goes for a 2 string tuning right in the middle of the jam. Amateur hour. The jam hits a nice area ~14 minutes in. Ending is kinda cool and segues into >>>

Caspian - Vox = Ewww. Trey's doing the reverse windmill. I enjoyed the jam, believe-it-or-not. Pretty good segue with key change >>>

Simple - Ruff and ragged.

Friday - Caspian jam > Simple jam > Friday? Lull (ers). Just an absolutely horrible version. Sounds like one of you stoned hippies tinkering on an acoustic around a bonfire. Might be the worst version of ANY song ever written or performed live. Seriously.

Ghost - AKA Redemption Song. They make the pause work! Subdued jam for the 1st half but itr slowly leads to something...and when it gets there, it's just a thin and weak attempt at a peak. Return to the ending.

YEM - Gets pretty trainwrecky at times. Meatstick sing-along during tramps section. Drum solo. Kind of a Mike solo? No vocal jam, but Trey abruptly starts up >

Reprise - Trey stops playing the riff for no reason. Page throws out a Meatstick tease which leads to the Meatstick/Reprise mashup.

Wolfman - Only time played as an encore. Simple and Sally teases. Nice funk while everyone is leaving and quitting Phish.

Coil - Good version to close the worst run in the history of the band.

Best run of the three, but that don't mean shit.
D

anthrax

so glad i didn't go to these phish shows.

whoa...i don't think i've ever said that before!

DoW

Quote from: whatapiper on November 15, 2011, 10:05:00 PM
Quote from: sophist on November 15, 2011, 11:09:23 AM

Superman
NYC Fire Department
Bvaz 

all heroes.

For real, I was bvaz for Halloween, shit was insane.   Had to take off the hate in order to enjoy the night with my son, those autographs can really monopolize your time...
:-D :-D :-D
I've got a fan hate club