News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R15/W02: 11-18-1994 MSU Auditorium, East Lansing, MI

Started by runawayjimbo, April 09, 2012, 07:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

runawayjimbo

I was gonna stay away from my favorite tour since it looks like the most heavily selected of Show Club but then I realized there's a reason for that:  because Fall '94 is the shit. You can throw on any show at random and be blown away. This one is no different.

Lossless
Lossy

PHISH       11-18-94
MSU AUDITORIUM, EAST LANSING, MI

SOURCE: AUD (mics unknown) > DAT > CD > EAC > CD

DISC 1:

Set 1:
01: Rift
02. AC/DC Bag
03. Julius
04. The Horse > 
05. Silent in the Morning
06. It's Ice
07. Tela
08. Split Open and Melt
09. Butter Them Biscuits*#
10. My Old Home Place*
11. Two Dollar Bill*

DISC 2:

Set 2:
01. Llama
02. Bathtub Gin
03. Lifeboy
04. Poor Heart
05. Tweezer >
06. Contact
07. Possum
Encore:
08. Sweet Baby's Arms*#
09. Runaway Jim*

* w/ Rev. Jeff Mosier. "Sawmill" with Trey on fiddle. 
# first time played.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

whatapiper

spinning now for a pre listen while I get the house clean
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

phil

just dl'ed, should be checking it out later this evening. Fall '94 ftmfw
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

Superfreakie

Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

rowjimmy

Superfreakie

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
so good
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

runawayjimbo

runawayjimbo

11-18-1994
MSU Auditorium
East Lansing, MI

I

Rift - Openers should make a statement, and this one does just that. With off-the-charts energy and near flawless prescision, you best have brung your dancing shoes. Trey and Page both bring the heat although Page does have a couple of uncharacteristic slip ups towards the end of his solo. Still, a nice way to get things started.

AC/DC Bag - Bag is definitely a throw away song for me today but not back in what I like to call "the day". ~4:00 Trey gives Mike a little space to show off (which he woulda crushed today) but he seems a little unsure so Trey jumps back in and rips while Mike resumes his role as best supporting player (check out that Fat Albert-y line ~5:25). By 6 mins the whole band is straight killing it and they proceed to peak that shit for the next minute or so. They close it all fiery like and so far I'm psyched.

Julius - 3 songs, 3 repeats from last week? Somebody's gotta pay more attention with their picks. Hey Aug, what's your feelings on 94/95 versions? Fish is having some fun and Trey shows some great work throughout although he misses a nice peak ~6:00. At that point, the rest of the band seems like they're ready to wrap it up but Trey wants to light it up for another minute. Now that's how you bring the FUN!

The Horse - I'm down for a breather. Trey and Page tool around a bit during the intro. Into...

Silent in the Morning - Feels a little rushed. First time all night they don't sound like they're not completely on the same page. Still, it is nice to have a cool down song that doesn't completely crush the flow of the set.

It's Ice - Right back to business. Goddamn this song was just so fluid in '94. Everyone is super active and contributing nicely. Trey is fucking spot on with the composed runs and then Leo steps up to the plate in a big way while Mike gets his Boogie On on in the background. Fish feels left out so he starts growling. There's nothing overly noteworthy from this version, just some straight forward '94 tightness.

Tela - Whoa, Page's voice cracks a bit at "feeeel the sand..." but after that it's pretty strong. I get a little nervous during "foul domain" in the handful of 3.0 Tela's as I nervously anticipated the horror that will be Trey's solo. But I find myself leaning in as I listen to this since I know it's going to sound just like it should. And it does. Straight fiya.

Split Open and Melt - Trey jumps into his little repetitive pattern early in the jam (like before they even get into the jam early ~4:00). And since this was when they were all on the same brain, Page syncs up with him right away. Trey starts to open it up and tickles my spine with that first run up the neck ~5:20. Page mimics him 20 secs later and then they get to that wonderfully Melty place between reason and disorder. That shit was heavy. I could go for something with a feel good vibe before set.

Little Tiny Butter Biscuits - I love me some bluegrass, especially with The Reverend. Trey does a damn good job playing that fiddle.

The Old Home Place - I'd take a bluegrass version of this over the alternative any day of the week.

My Long Journey Home - Fun way to end the set. Admittedly the bluegrass section kinda breaks up the flow they had working but so what, you either got 15 mins of bonus material or you got a jump on the lines to the shitters. Just a super tight, energy filled set (in other words, it's '94).

II

Llama - Another perfect choice for an opener. It's raging along as Llama's typically do when Mike decides he needs a quick detour in some weirdness ~3:15 and the rest of them jump on board with him almost instantly. Unfortunately, everyone else makes the turn to the peak but Mike misses the exit and they kinda struggle to find their footing the rest of the song. Oh well, let's shake it off.

Bathtub Gin - I prefer late '90s stretched out Gins over these straight ahead versions but this one is pretty cool. Some nice interplay with Trey and Mike ~4:30. But they don't stray to far from the song and it sounds like they're ready to wrap it up until Mike pushes them a little further ~8:00. Fish quickly picks up the pace and they pull together a fun (although entirely too short) little romp through the end into...

Lifeboy - As much as I love this tune, the distinct lack of meat thus far in the set is a little rough. Still, it's great tune and I love the texture Page adds at the end. Well played.

Poor Heart - Bringing back some energy. Everybody does a nice job with their solos but Page wins IMO.

Tweezer - Finally some meat. They waste no time with this as Trey develops the rawk theme early that kinda sets the course for the jam. Trey and Page go lockstep into the Wedge jam ~5:45 and Mike and Fish are right there with them but it's just for a minute because they still have a lot to say. It's insane how effortlessly they weave in and out of different ideas throughout the jam and I love the breakdown they find ~8:00 which morphs into an evil, almost plinko-y jam. A couple of nice mini-peaks and the big one ~12:20 and I'm spent. Hard to believe they packed all that in less than 15 mins. Slows down and trickles right into...

Contact - Nice placement. Page is making that piano his bitch and then he just dominates the jam while Mike and Trey add some nice layers.

Possum - The crowd goes bananas for the Simpsons language (LOL at the shusher when Trey gives the signal). Gin teases. Sounds like Mike's hinting at DEG as early as 6:50 and when Trey runs with it a minute later Mike is right there with him while Page holds down the Possum. Fish is going off as they hit the huge peak ~9:20. Not quite at the same level as last week's but still pretty decent.

E

Roll in My Sweet Baby's Arms - I'm down for some more bluegrass and this is a fun little number. Page shines yet again.

Runaway Jim - The ultra rare Jim encore (can I get some stats, Aug?) with a banjo taboot?!? Bithcin'. Fairly typical stuff (except for the banjo of course) through the first 5+ mins but then they dabble in this cool little deconstructed Jim jam ~5:45 for the next 90ish secs. They wrap it up all nice like and I'm leaving with a smile on my face.

This show has it's moments but it feels like a bit of a letdown with an up and down second set (although the first was smokin'). Definitely flies under the radar and deservedly so given the sickness of the rest of the fall. There's no all-time versions (although that Tweezer was pretty dope) and the second set flow leaves something to be desired. But still, it showcases how, like nearly all of this tour, they're just so dialed in that even an "off night" has some serious playing. I dug the Bag, Tweezer and the unique Jim and I'm always down for some bluegrass. I'll give it a strong B.

Superfreakie

I don't think there was another Jim encore until Lake Placid '95.

whatapiper

11/18/94

Rift - Sick way to start the show, gets the energy up immediately. This recording is beautiful as Page and Mike come through loud and clear. 

DC Bag - Nice lead in from Rift, sounds like they could roll into psycho killer  around 3:45.  Some nasty licks from Trey on this one as he shows  us how to destroy an 8 minute Bag.

Julius - the original Party Time! 

Horse > Silent -  nothing sounds stale tonight

It's Ice - Standard territory then just a nasty solo by Page and the boys are just on.  Mike is laying it thick and the drop back into ice is a face melter.   I  re listened from 4:45 where Page drops in twice!    7 minutes plus and that is price of admission.  Then as if you have not had enough...

Tela - Thank you much.  Just beautiful and a great combination that has only met one time since. 

Split - Shit is getting serious and I'm not sure if I'm going to live through this set.  They find a nice groove early around 4+ minutes in leading to chaos and a slow return to the split theme. 

Biscuits - warm up

Old home place - cute

Long Journey Home -  may have been my favorite, not the best way to end that set in my opinion.  Makes me think about how the rest of that set would have turned out.

Llama - Did you forget about us??  They come  out throwing fire balls into the crowd.  Ear splitting rage fest ensues and give me more Page!

Gin - Taking their time during the intro and this trend continues in the beginning of Trey's solo.  Fish really holding on tight as he seems ready to push the tempo a bit.   Some serious tension built up with moderate release.  Heavy metal jam that sounded like it could have gone somewhere else but falls cozily back to the gin theme to close.  Solid but fairly standard for the time.  Sounds like lizards then

Lifeboy -  Sweet transition and placement there into a classic.  Still have not caught one of these.

Poor Heart - Page is my hero tonight

Tweezer - Back to business and Fish is ready to bring the guns.   Love the playfulness of Tweezer from this era as their confidence is so strong.  Everyone firing on all cylinders from the start of the solo with Trey in the comfortable lead.  Fish knows just when to lay off and allow everyone room.  Getting nice and loose at 9+ and just getting teased before a thunderous drop back into the theme.  Solid ending.

Contact - Flawless lead in here and all I can ask for from a Contact, great placement taboot.

Possum - When it ripped.   Language is always fun, and this crowd is loving it.  Big Gin tease early on for a couple riffs.  High octane whirlwind version that does not let up. 

Roll in my...arms - More bluegrass yeeehawww!

Jim - whoa hey there stranger. Jimbo asked for it, this was Jim's 7th encore appearance since its debut on 3/28/90.  It was last encored prior to this show on 12/7/92 and has only been played in this slot two times since.  The last Jim encore was 12/12/99 where I made an appearance.   Strong finish to a solid show.

Great show overall with a little something for everyone.   The first set up to the bluegrass may be the highlight. 
Solid A overall and B for 94 as a whole.
For whatever reason I rarely listen to pre 95 but shows like this remind me of the tapes I had to get me into this band in the first place.  The raw energy and talent oozes through my cans and brings me to a place not soon forgotten.
beginning to end
we belong

runawayjimbo

Quote from: whatapiper on April 15, 2012, 01:11:34 AM
Julius - the original Party Time! 

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Poor Heart - Page is my hero tonight

Seriously

Jim - whoa hey there stranger. Jimbo asked for it, this was Jim's 7th encore appearance since its debut on 3/28/90.  It was last encored prior to this show on 12/7/92 and has only been played in this slot two times since.  The last Jim encore was 12/12/99 where I made an appearance.

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Thanks, dude. +k

whatapiper

Killer pick and now I'm looking at all those fall 94 shows with more than peaked curiosity.  It's been too long since I've dived into this era with both feet, thanks for the reminder.
beginning to end
we belong

runawayjimbo

Quote from: whatapiper on April 15, 2012, 11:56:04 AM
Killer pick and now I'm looking at all those fall 94 shows with more than peaked curiosity.  It's been too long since I've dived into this era with both feet, thanks for the reminder.

Yeah, Fall '94 is required listening IMO. I was predominantly a '95-'00 guy myself for a long time (although I still avoid '96 like the plague for some reason). Then I heard the 10-18-1994 Reba and I was hooked.

ETA: after I typed that I was cued up that Reba and I was reminded why it is probably my favorite jam ever.

whatapiper

Quote from: runawayjimbo on April 15, 2012, 12:13:54 PM

Yeah, Fall '94 is required listening IMO. I was predominantly a '95-'00 guy myself for a long time (although I still avoid '96 like the plague for some reason). Then I heard the 10-18-1994 Reba and I was hooked.

ETA: after I typed that I was cued up that Reba and I was reminded why it is probably my favorite jam ever.

I'll spin that Reba today.

I'm debating a pick from 96 so you may have pull out the rat traps.
beginning to end
we belong

Augustus

Quote from: whatapiper on April 15, 2012, 03:03:37 PM
Quote from: runawayjimbo on April 15, 2012, 12:13:54 PM

I'll spin that Reba today.

I'm debating a pick from 96 so you may have pull out the rat traps.

Everyone knows that 10-18 bit off of 07-06-1994 all hard-like.
Right?