News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R15/W03: 11-16-1997 McNichols Arena, Denver, CO

Started by phil, April 16, 2012, 10:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phil

I feel like this is a show that is often overlooked due to the awesomeness of the next night. Have at it! (also, thanks to twatts for this transfer)

November 16, 1997
McNichols Arena
Denver, CO

source:
(FOB/in hat/Left Stack) Schoeps mk5's > Ruetelhuber PS > Sony SBM-1 > DAT (@ 44.1 kHz) > DAT(c)

transfer:
DAT(c) > Sony PCM-R500 > S/PDIF > Tascam HD-P2 > Samplitude SE v9.1.1 (set 2 level adjustments, fades) > CD Wave v1.98 (track splits) > FLAC v1.2.1 (Level 8)

DAT(c) provided by Craig Hillwig
Transferred by Terry Watts
fixed/tracked/FLAC'd by Jason Sobel

FLAC tags added with metaflac v1.2.1
seeded March 31, 2012

Disc 1 - [68:50]
Set I
01 - [05:22] - NICU >
02 - [07:26] - My Soul
03 - [08:33] - Black-Eyed Katy
04 - [05:44] - Farmhouse *
05 - [03:21] - The Old Home Place
06 - [07:01] - Billy Breathes
07 - [05:01] - Cars Trucks Buses
08 - [08:51] - Scent of a Mule **
09 - [04:13] - Poor Heart ***
10 - [11:50] - Taste
11 - [01:29] - Hello My Baby

Disc 2 - [74:26]
Set II
01 - [16:15] - Timber (Jerry) ->
02 - [08:40] - Simple ->
03 - [05:29] - Wilson >
04 - [17:56] - Harry Hood >
05 - [05:36] - Izabella
06 - [02:43] - encore break
07 - [17:47] - David Bowie

* played in concert for the first time
** Pete Wernick on banjo, Foggy Mountain Breakdown tease
*** Pete Wernick on banjo

Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

phil

flacs will be up shortly, my computer is being a dick right now
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

Augustus

Ut oh.....I feel a rumblin' within my bowels.....

runawayjimbo

Quote from: Augustus on April 16, 2012, 10:48:06 AM

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Damn, now you're even bringing the HATE for Show Club? Tough crowd.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

Augustus

Quote from: runawayjimbo on April 16, 2012, 10:57:08 AM

Well, this first set has always been my least favorite of the Tour.

phil

Quote from: Augustus on April 16, 2012, 10:58:35 AM

It has its moments.

Augustus

Quote from: phil on April 16, 2012, 10:59:54 AM

It has its moments, but yeah it is kind of rough.

I'll be gentle.

emay

Quote from: Augustus on April 16, 2012, 11:00:21 AM

I'll be gentle.

Yeah first set does nothing for me in this show.
The Timber and Hood are pretty good versions. Really dig the hood :music:
Bowie encore might be the highlight of the show. Great version.

Superfreakie

Quote from: emayPhishyMD on April 16, 2012, 11:44:14 AM
Quote from: Augustus on April 16, 2012, 11:00:21 AM

I'll be gentle.

Yeah first set does nothing for me in this show.
The Timber and Hood are pretty good versions. Really dig the hood :music:
Bowie encore might be the highlight of the show. Great version.

Shortest second set of the '97 fall tour. Under an hour, nearly didn't make 50 minutes. Hence, the Bowie encore and the huge kick down the following night.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Augustus

Quote from: Superfreakie on April 16, 2012, 11:58:56 AM
Shortest second set of the '97 fall tour. Under an hour, nearly didn't make 50 minutes. Hence, the huge kick down the following night.

Yeah, they generally play great shows after really shitty ones.

cactusfan

the first set may be underwhelming, but the second set, though short, is non-stop fire, and the Bowie encore is blistering.

Augustus

NICU - Trey having a little trouble with the first lead part. Good enough opener, tho.

Meh Soul - Trey takes the first solo and it's quite rippin'. It was a good call to switch the solo order when they did the following year.

BEK - *LUV* to bits. Just so fresh sounding (no shit) and slick. Mike is so clear during this Tour. Cool version. Doesn't get as dark as Cleveland or WS, but I dig it.

Farm - Live "debut." Two brand new ones back-to-back to get the crowd all stokey! I like the 4 versions from '97.

Homeplace - Only cool as a show opener, obv.

Billy - Been working on my NOT jokes. Anyway, this set has some pretty sweet flow going on...NOT. Actually a pretty good solo going on until the last few passes.

CTB - Set could benefit from a dose of Flo-Max. Only version of the Tour. Nice one, tho, with Page smashin' the Grand. The only thing that could make me hate on this set any harder would be if they played one of my least favorite orignals right after this tune.

Scent - Fuckin' kidding me? I HATE Scent more than any of you. Oh, sweet, some bitch guest is gonna spruce this one up.  :roll: What a bitch. Then they start palying some other bullshit. Or should I say, Bitchshit? Tempo gets all fucked up. WORST.

Heart - Again, more tempo issues. I hate that feeling when all you want is for the set to end...

Taste - Just plowing thru all of my favorites right about now. Good version, tho. 'Twas cool when Fish switched to a straight-ahead one toward the end of the jam. They hit the ending, too!

Hello - This is how you cap a crap. Set.

Timber - Long and spacy intro. Kinda goes along with not much to note until 11:30, where it really mellows and spaces out. They hit on a great major key jam ~14 through. Wished this developed more before heading into >>>

Simple - Pretty good segue. Standard Simple jam until the last 45 seconds or so where they start to segue into Wilson. Again, I wish that they had developed that more. >>>

Wilson - Little loose.

Hood - Composed is OK and gets rough during the Mr. Minor part. Surprisingly, it is Mike that is playing in the wrong key for almost the entire section.  :-o Sweet jam that really hits a high point around the 14 minute mark. Proper ending. A lot of people speak highly of this version, but I never got the hype. It's longer than most and is much better compared to the first set, but it's just kinda standard to me. >>>

Izabella - High energy capper.

Bowie - Ultra rare encore slot. Didn't appear in this position again until Hampton 'o4. Liking the intro. Somewhat of a Stash tease to start the jam. Page takes charge early on. Tension ~11:30 with an awkward release out. Bad bend by Trey that was meant to be a balm. Some more tension at the 14 min mark. Band is all over the place. Finally hit a good peak. Good slam into the outro section.

Welp, there's some good and bad aspects of this show. The bad is that this show sucks. The good is that it was the last meh show of the Tour. So we can all that this crappy show for helping Fall '97 be as epic as it was.
I give it a C.

cactusfan

well i went and listened to this after reading your review, aug.

i'm with you on the first set. BEK is hot and Farmhouse is a great song in fall '97 and not so much elsewhere. otherwise, it's a bunch of songs with no flow.

but i gotta say, i still dig this second set. it's too short, and it's not huge like much of fall '97, but it still flows and works for me. i really like the Timber, that it's a swirling build without a lot of melodic definition. i love every Timber from this tour. i don't think the song ever sounded better.

the segue into Simple is sweet, and even the segue into Wilson works. they knew how to segue back in them days.

i like the Hood a lot. not a best ever version, through, tis true.

and Izabella is a hot closer.

the Bowie is smoking, if imperfect. not as good as the first set closer from 11/29, though (which seems to me a generally overlooked brilliant Bowie).

so maybe what does it for me with this show is simply the overall way they're playing at this point in time. even when it's not great, it still has a kind of loose intensity i really like.

strangely enough, the second set from the 17th, which gets all the love, is not one of my favorites. something about that one doesn't really click for me. the first set is where it's at for that show.

justjezmund

The timber simple is pretty money with the frankie says segue.
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

mbw