News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R15/W04: 06-15-2000 Big Cat, Osaka, Japan

Started by whatapiper, April 23, 2012, 12:14:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whatapiper

Phish
June 15, 2000
Big Cat - Osaka, Japan

source: DSBD+AUD Matrix Mix AKG C1000's

band source: AKG C1000's > DAT(direct from Phish's mic
source) from Billy Rickards 03/11/01

convert and edit: D8 > canopus DA port USB> sound
forge XP >WinCDR6.0 by Zep 02/01/04

wav > Flac 02/11/05

Set I
NICU
Chalk Dust Torture
AC/DC Bag
Uncle Pen
Ghost
Frankie Says
The Divided Sky
Farmhouse

Set II
Down With Disease*
Lizards
Bike >
Hold Your Head Up
YEM

Encore:
Gotta Jiboo

*With "Crosseyed and Painless" jam; Trey on keys

lossy http://www.sendspace.com/file/723wcf
        http://www.sendspace.com/file/weo856
lossless http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=512387
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

Caravan2001

Hot pick.  I have a lot to say about this show, it was one of my faves from this tour.  Big Cat was an awesome club, and I still have two unopened tshirts from it.  Thinking I should bust one out this summer....Anyway, I'll get to this once I catch up, but this show was hawt, and Osaka was bitchin.  My favorite city in Japan for sure...Nice ticket....Mine is #192...

cactusfan

love the Ghost, Disease and Lizards from this show. in that small room, the playing on Lizards is so fragile and beautiful.

McGrupp

Space Shower TV? Sounds like my kinda party.

My gf's fav ghost btw.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

Augustus

Totes closed the window I was writing my review in.... :|
Guess it's time to call the Coke dude.

Caravan2001

Quote from: Augustus on April 29, 2012, 08:20:17 PM
Totes closed the window I was writing my review in.... :|
Guess it's time to call the Coke dude.

My Firefox just does that all the time.  Had to switch browsers.  It's so suck.  Did a huge work email at 6:30 Friday night when I should have been getting my swerve on and it just swapped back to the previous window.  So frustrating....

whatapiper

6-15-2000

NICU- The boys have hit their stride with the energy from the previous two nights continuing to carry over.  Flashner's pull brings the room to life.  A little feedback into>

Chalkdust- Loose and laid back for the most part before a blistering finish. 

Bag- The chill vibe continues with a slow escalating funk jam and Mike bombs.   Tempo starts building around 7+ with Trey almost overly patient and Fish eagerly pushing him along.   I could have seen them peak at least once or twice more but I appreciated the old school ending >

Penn- Sounded like they were going to play MFMF but went for the bluegrass instead.   Trey seems to be having a ball and it translates over.  Some serious  fumbling from Trey before Mike and Page show how it's done.  Loose finish

Ghost- A little meat to keep us interested.    Todd you lucky SOB for hitting these shows!   Mike comes through so clean on this pull you can really hear Page garnishing what otherwise would go unheard.  Some Radio City elements with their interplay as well.   6+ and Trey laying way back letting Mike lead before coming in right before the 7 minute mark.   A spine tingling run from Mike right around that point as well.   Tempo starts to build with a quickness and off we go with Trey teasing the theme of this beast early.   8+ and holy smokes they are picking up some steam with no parachute in sight.   Similar to Raleigh 98 this Ghost takes on a swirling melodic like jam to it that sets the hook.   Instead of a quick finish around 12 Trey finds another layer to add here and pushes the theme to another level that I'm sure made some Osaka heads blow. 

Frankie Says- Personally I'm a fan and I like the selection here to mix it up for a needed breather and bathroom break.

Divided Sky- Something for everyone.   Trey is not on the composed tonight so far and struggles a bit.   He does bounce back though and then smooth sailing.  Pause is nonexistent but the boys get locked in for the remainder of the jam.   Nice little breakdown before the 14 min mark and quality overall despite the rough start.

Farmhouse- Not even close to my first choice as a closer but people sound stoked.  Reba would have been a face melter.  Fish pretty rough on the vocals but what's new?  Trey plays this number with purpose and it numbs the pain a bit.   

DWD- You can tell the boys are primed to go deep as Mike launches bombs from the start.   Trey is channeling from the nether reaches early on as the others only choice is to follow.  Big whale calls interplay with the disease theme with a thunderous backbone from Mike and Fish.  Around 9 minutes in Trey is getting plain dirty with another hint at disease before jumping back into the deep.   Locked at 10+ then a Crosseyed jam around 11:30 getting more reactions to from the crowd.   This new development changes the tone of this jam dramatically and the crowd appreciates it!   Give me mooooore!!   Groove locked in for some time with that quintessential 2000 sound.  17+ is showing some nasty runs on the bass from Mike as the effects continue to trickle in.   Complete breakdown with Mike taking the lead and Fish following like a shadow ready at every turn, around 21+.  Finds a nice home around 25+ that could have kept going imo but who's throwing stones at this point?  Sounds like Piper could be next but a kick down instead

Lizards- Some serious smiles I'm sure after a monster disease.   Big kickdown but then Trey forgets how to play.   Rough but they seem to recover as only Phish can.

Bike- Some comedy to loosen things up further. 

HYHU- love it, especially sandwiched between that disease and....

YEM- So Ghost, Disease and YEM?!   Composed not perfect but they settle in nicely with more laid back funk laced with Mike's wet bass.  18+ the rawk increases with an interesting tone from Trey playing off Mike's effect.   While I enjoy this version it leaves a bit to be desired.   Quick drop to the vocal jam and the banter is priceless. 

Jiboo- I'm a fan and this is the one and only Jiboo as an encore.  Typical awesome to send this Osaka crowd into the night

While rough in patches this show takes risks and remains loose throughout with noteworthy versions of disease and ghost.  The second set has it all. A-
beginning to end
we belong

twatts

Interestingly enough, I just Transferred a new Source for this Show...  But it has some Warts that need Sobel's attention...

Terry

PHISH

Big Cat
Osaka, Japan
June 15, 2000

Source:  Microtech Gefell m900's > Sonosax SX-M2 > Sony SBM-1 > DAT(c)
Transfer:  DAT(c) > Sony PCM-R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2 > r8brain > CDWave > FLAC
Sourced by Cobee and Team Fussa
DAT(c) provided by Steve Mortlock
Transfer by Terry Watts
48k Master FLAC available

Disc 1
Set I:
1. NICU
2. Chalkdust
3. AC/DC Bag
4. Uncle Pen
5. Ghost
6. Frankie Sez
7. Divided Sky
8. Farmhouse

Disc 2
Set IIe:
1. DwD >
2. Lizards
3. Bike > HYHU

Disc 3
Set IIe:
1. YEM
2. e: Jiboo

Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

Augustus

NICU - Trey has a little trouble with the chords. "Play it Leo, you muthafucker!" Buncha noise into >>>

Chalk - Nice tension at 5:15. Pretty standard version, however.

ACDC - Relaxed tempo. Jam starts with a tap tempo loop by Trey. Slow start to the jam and doesn't kick in until ~9 minutes in.

U Penn - This went so well during the SDCK... :roll: Really bad version.

Ghost - Trey on keyboard to start the jam, but only briefly. This version has a similar sound/vibe to the RCMH classic. Really picks up at 7:30, thanks to Mike. Nice, rolling jam, much like other Ghosts from the Summer (07-15) and Gins. Simple major key riff by Trey in the 13's that works much like the Went Gin or 12-31-2010 Ghost. Kinda stays in this area for the remainder of the jam. Cool version.

Frankie - Not since 10-07-1999. Largest gap until Miami 'o3 > Fox 'o9.

Sky - 1/4 from all of 2000. Played pretty well, considering. Near-silent pause. Nice quiet down during the jam.

Farm - Weird. The only times Farmhouse has closed a first set is the four times it appeared during this month-long span. Weird I tell yas. Aside from that, they played Farmhouse...on the Farmhouse Tour!

Disease - Faster tempo. Standard, hi-energy Disease jamming with a ton of backwards guitar for the first 11:30 of the jam, which is when it starts up with some distict Crosseyed jamming. Trey lays down some loops and he fades in-and-out with the same chord. Fresh of the heels of the May shows, this one contains some similar aspects of the RCMH Disease and Ghost. This groove contains for a while. Trey back on the keyboard. Unlike the RCMH Ghost, where 30 minute goes by effortlessly, this one starts to drag and struggle for useable ideas. They do hit on a nice major key groove for the last two minutes, however. Never been too bananas about this version...

Lizards - Ouch. Some real chord-manglin' going on. Trey forgets most the "solo" section, too. Not a good one.

Bike - Last played the last time they were in Japan. Last time it appeared without HYHU beforehand was March '93, so that is cool.

YEM - Longer nirvana section. Pretty good composed sections, overall. Pitch bends to start jam. And in the middle of the jam. And to end it. No DnB. Bobby?

Jibboo - Still the only time it has appeared as an encore.

Love me a 4 song set, but this show is a little uneven for me.
Especially coming off the Fukuoka gig, this show falls a little flat.
I give it a B-

Quote from: whatapiper on April 30, 2012, 01:40:42 AM
So Ghost, Disease and YEM?!

Think I'll go spin 07-09-1997 II right now... :wink:

whatapiper

Quote from: twatts likes ghoti on April 30, 2012, 01:45:07 AM
Interestingly enough, I just Transferred a new Source for this Show...  But it has some Warts that need Sobel's attention...

Terry

PHISH

Big Cat
Osaka, Japan
June 15, 2000

Source:  Microtech Gefell m900's > Sonosax SX-M2 > Sony SBM-1 > DAT(c)
Transfer:  DAT(c) > Sony PCM-R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2 > r8brain > CDWave > FLAC
Sourced by Cobee and Team Fussa
DAT(c) provided by Steve Mortlock
Transfer by Terry Watts
48k Master FLAC available

Disc 1
Set I:
1. NICU
2. Chalkdust
3. AC/DC Bag
4. Uncle Pen
5. Ghost
6. Frankie Sez
7. Divided Sky
8. Farmhouse

Disc 2
Set IIe:
1. DwD >
2. Lizards
3. Bike > HYHU

Disc 3
Set IIe:
1. YEM
2. e: Jiboo

Yes, Sobel's transfer is great from this show.  Quality recording too. 

I hear you Aug, definitely uneven, I was torn between this and 6/13 from the run.   This one definitely has the best and worst characteristics of the sweet week in Japan
beginning to end
we belong

Caravan2001

This was a really fun show and a cool venue.  Osaka was the best town on this tour. Every show on this tour had something to offer, even Hibya.  This was the first of two nights in Osaka and the club was in this cool kind of hip area of town with a bunch of young people walking around and driving by in lowrider cars and cool tricked out mini vans.  You could pretty much walk in and out of the club as you pleased.  It was pretty a medium sized rock club with a bar and one of the bigger ones on this tour.  I would guess there were about 500 people there.  From the looks of the posters/schedule, this club hosted a number of medium to larger sized international bands.

Set I
NICU-  Good warmup.  Not a huge fan of this track, but Mike sounds good on it.  What is with all the ass clowns yelling and woo-hooing throughout the whole show?  I was embarrassed  for them.
Chalk Dust Torture-  Time to get the energy up.  This one is just OK for me, but any track was cool in this setting.
AC/DC Bag- Nice job on this.  Starts kinda slow, but I like it.  The jam gets funky.  I really love the instrument separation the small rooms afforded.  You can hear it on this track.
Uncle Pen- oof!  This one goes off the rails.  In a bad way.
Ghost- Great Ghost.  Sounds so different than the 98 Ghost from my pick.  Some cool sounds I had not heard before.  At one point Page has the No Quarter keyboard going, which would have blown the roof off if they dropped into that!
Frankie Says- Like how they bring it down with this one, but again, enough with the wooohoos!  It's just Frankie Says!
The Divided Sky- This is a good version. I *luv* how quiet the pause is and I LOVE how they get all quiet toward the end of the jam.  Can;t say I have heard them do that in another version and it makes this one standout.  Plus they lay into again after that quiet part which rules.
Farmhouse- This was basically the "Farmhouse" tour as far as we were concerned.  Posters for the album were all over most of the towns we were in and we were hearing  the song everywhere we went: hotel lobbys, bars, restaurants.  It was like the hot single of the time in Japan for some reason.  We could;t escape it, but we were loving it.  This is a decent version with good backup vocals and somehow it weirdly fits in the set 1 closer...

Set II
Down With Disease*-- This is a monster DWD imo, and holds my interest for the whole time.  Not quite an all-timer but pretty super sick and goes to some cool places with some cool sounds I had not heard before.
Lizards- couple o' botches, Trey seems lost.  Not the best version.  Still, in the moment, it was rad.
Bike > always happy to see this one.  This was my wife's first Bike in 200+ shows and she was so stoked.  It is THE tour highlight for her believe it or not and if someone brings up Japan tour, it's the first thing she talks about.  Fish does a good job with it too.
Hold Your Head Up
YEM- a solid version, pretty meaty and the kids were lapping it up.  Does not translate as well to tape, but it's good.

Encore:
Gotta Jiboo- fun way to end the night.  I was hoping (as always) for the double encore, but I was just so appreciative of everything on this tour so no complaints.

This was a really great show to attend and is pretty typical of the run (6/14 not withstanding) with some really solid highlights and some pretty typical 2000 playing.  That said, all of the typical 2000 playing was majorly boosted by the fact that the shows were freaking teeny tiny and a zillion miles from home.  Nice pick, I give it a solid B.  For the record, my favorite show from this tour is 6/13, Club Quattro, Nagoya.  That one does not carry over on tape as well either but it was tits.

*With "Crosseyed and Painless" jam; Trey on keys

runawayjimbo

Fuck, I hate playing catch up.

6-15-2000
Big Cat
Osaka, Japan

I

NICU - Love this as a summer opener. This one's nice and laid back with everyone getting warmed up and Leo doing some work. A little stiff, but not bad.

Chalk Dust Torture - I love the placement and the loops leading in. Trey starts off kinda chill but he picks it up and they hit a nice peak ~6:00 (although it sounded like Mike wanted to keep pushing it a little further). 2000 wasn't my favorite year for Trey's tone, but it's still miles ahead of the harshness of 3.0. Fish is super active towards the end and they close it up real nice like.

AC/DC Bag - Sticking with the low key vibe, which is cool with me and the set is starting to pick up some steam. They tool around a bit as Trey sets up that rhythmic loop. Trey's taking his sweet ole time and then Mike starts getting a little antsy ~5:15. They get it going though and by 9 mins in they're all clicking. They pull the plug without the double time so I can't help but feel a little cheated but still not a bad Bag.

Uncle Pen - Trey really struggles with the intro. Ouch, Trey. Mike and Page do a fairly nice job and Trey does a mildly better job with the rest but that was pretty rough. How do you shake something like that off?

Ghost - That's how! God damn do I miss those loops at the start of this song. Fuck, I just miss this song. They almost nail the pause and then show some typical Ghosty patience getting into the jam. Some nice liquid, No Quarter-esque notes from Page ~6:30 and Mike jumps in the driver seat shortly after that. The jam keeps with that kinda chill slow build and then ~9:15 Fish says he's ready but Trey keeps taking his time. Finally, Page leads the charge into the major jam where it gets really bitchin'. Trey sticks with that familiar rolling riff and it's just a flurry of energy for a couple of minutes before they return to the song and close it out proper. Don't know if that's a top 5 version, but I thoroughly enjoyed all the same.

Frankie Says - I guess a cool down is in order, but I can do without this tune. Nicely played though so no major deductions from me.

The Divided Sky - Little sloppy in the composed but not terrible. I can't believe how quiet the room gets for the pause (paging Mattstick). Then they bring the energy for the jam until ~13:00 when they get to some quiet, almost shuffle-like sections that are (as far as I can remember) unique for a Sky. But it's just for a minute and they slam back into the energy filled ending. I dug that.

Farmhouse - It's still Farmhouse, but a pretty good version with some spirited soloing from Trey.

Back in exactly 15 mins...
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

Caravan2001

whatapiper

It's funny you mention 6/13, I was extremely close to posting that show instead, I listened to it again on Monday after posting 6/15 and had second thoughts about my choice!  Either way I really enjoy this run and it has not been represented by a show club appearance until now. 
beginning to end
we belong

Lifeboy

Quote from: Caravan2001 on May 03, 2012, 04:14:33 PM
The Ghost is freaking off the chains!

QFT.

Probably a top ten Ghost for me...
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke: