News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Rd. 2: Star Wars vs. 2001: A Space Odyssey

Started by cactusfan, May 14, 2012, 03:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cactusfan

mistercharlie

This is a tough one. I'll have to consider it awhile and come back.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

sls.stormyrider

not tough at all.

predicts the future

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

tet

i don't normally vote against Kubrick... but when i do, it's somewhat more palpable to do so with Star Wars
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

qop24

hmm...one of the more profound, thought provoking films ever created....or a couple hours of meh eye candy loosely attached to an unbearably cheesy story told through impressively awful dialogue...

2001. Fucking duh.
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 14, 2011, 11:26:55 PM
Trey actually is totally inspired with ideas up the ass

Quote from: kellerb on July 06, 2011, 07:16:17 PM
When you're on droogz you don't remember which eye's supposed to be lazy

rowjimmy

HAL 9000 was the best actor in 2001: A Space Oddity.

mbw

Quote from: qop24 on May 14, 2012, 09:25:01 PM
hmm...one of the more profound, thought provoking films ever created....or a couple hours of meh eye candy loosely attached to an unbearably cheesy story told through impressively awful dialogue...

2001. Fucking duh.

Quote from: slslbs on May 14, 2012, 09:16:09 PM
not tough at all.

ah, a couple sane people speak up.

khalpin

Once again, I'll admit a severely tainted bias here as whenever I watch Star Wars, I become a six year old again.  I see any scene and I'm transfixed.  2001 on the other hand, I've never made it through in one sitting.

natronzero

I'd rather dwell in some dark holler where the sun refuses to shine, where the wild birds of heaven can't hear me when I whine.

twatts

There are no SW Theme > Dwds in the PH lexicon...

There are a few 2001 > DwDs...

T
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

cactusfan

sad to see 2001 going down.

it's one of the most amazing pieces of cinema ever created. there's truly nothing else like it. it was so different, and remains so different, that it didn't even point the way for other people, though some tried. there were some overheated 'important' sci-fi films of the '70s, but nothing ever came close.

it reimagined what a science fiction movie could be.

Kubrick won his only (!) oscar for it--for best special effects. well deserved, but in a world where Kevin Costner possesses a best director oscar, it's a sad thing.

and those special effects are amazing. they still look great.

it's a movie about an idea, which aside from 2001, i don't know if there's any movie that works without having a protagonist to follow. in 2001, the protagonist is humanity. that's a bold thing to try to pull off, and that Kubrick DID pull it off is incredible.

Star Wars, yeah, it's Star Wars. i guess for me, Star Wars impresses for what it pulled off despite it's absurd dialogue and overall goofiness. it's such a dopey, ridiculous movie, yet it works. and then, obviously, it became the offical Nerd Religion, something of a first in the history of movies.

Kubrick still wins for me, because taken just as a film, it's light years better. or, say, about 12 parsecs* better.

*yeah, i know. that's the joke. cut it out.

mistercharlie

Quote from: twatts likes ghoti on May 14, 2012, 11:31:00 PM
There are no SW Theme > Dwds in the PH lexicon...

There are a few 2001 > DwDs...

T

Yeah, but what about the Staw Wars Themed Antelopes? Those are always fun, we'll the two or three times Trey's done it.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

twatts

Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

danje

2001 is my favorite movie. Like cactusfan said, there is truly nothing else like it. The level of beauty and patience in this movie is IMO, second to none. It takes me on a journey and captivates and engulfs me like no other film has.

aphineday

2001 wins this fight. Had it been Empire, it would have been a tougher fight.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...