News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Semis: The Godfather vs. The Godfather Part II

Started by cactusfan, May 25, 2012, 04:13:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cactusfan

mistercharlie

This should have been the final round.

I voted Coppela.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

cactusfan

Quote from: mistercharlie on May 25, 2012, 06:20:51 AM
This should have been the final round.

I voted Coppela.

directors with multiple films in competition had all of their movies in either the east or the west.
forcing one to pick their best movie to send into the finals.

this is not an easy choice.
Godfather is a much warmer, easier to embrace movie. yet Part II is so beautifully, intricately put together, and so very, very cold. also it has the added of depth of the two contrasting stories playing off one another. and Fredo. poor, misguided Fredo, who just wants a little respect.
i'm going with Part II.

sls.stormyrider

gotta go with the original.

don't forget Marlon Brando
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

mistercharlie

I went with the original. If not just for the scene when Michael is at the christening and all of his opponents are getting wacked.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mbw

im going with part two, and here's why.

there are 4 scenes in part 1, which, while they are all classic scenes, sometimes i find their overactedness too much.  without further ado......

1. Sonny fights Carlo:

probably the fakest fight scene in all of filmdom.
does a single punch or kick look like it remotely comes close?
nope.

2. Which brings us to Sonny's death:

He gets sprayed by tommy gunfire for about 10 seconds, THEN GETS OUT OF THE CAR and walks around for a little bit still getting hit before he finally collapses.

3. The Don gets shot:

Vito gets about 15 rounds in the back, then rolls around the car, on his knees then on the street for about 20 seconds before he finally collapses in some ser overacting.

4. Moe Greene takes one to the eye: (all i could find is this sweet remix)

This is the tops.  Moe takes a point blank shot to the eye, which DOESN'T EVEN BREAK HIS GLASSES, just kinda shatters them a little, then he takes a second to lay down his head gently like he's going to take a nap.

----------------------

so, again, i love those scenes, but i also find them a little silly.
love the back story of Vito in Part 2 and watching Michael completely lose all of his humanity.

going with Part 2!