News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Rd 1 - Reba - (2) 08-16-93 vs. (3) 10-18-94

Started by runawayjimbo, July 15, 2012, 11:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

runawayjimbo

Round #1 - Reba Bracket

(2) 08-16-1993 - American Theater - St. Louis, MO

vs.

(3) 10-18-1994 - Vanderbilt University Memorial Gym - Nashville, TN

POLL CLOSE: Wed, 7/25, 10pm EST
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

susep

VDB

Vandy version: Things get real pretty at around 8:45. Loud/quiet/loud/quiet. Then a more sinister/weird sound develops about a minute later. Staccato jamming. Page and Trey bring it oh so nicely back around to a variation on the Reba progression, major-key crescendo ensues (it's like Montreal '94, but not as good) then a little stumble/crash back into Reba-esque staccato followed by quiet Trey noodling. Deliberately and creative ascends back into the Reba progression -> a few measures running through Dave's Energy Guide territory -> soaring Reba jam to close.

St. Louis version: Right off the bat in the jam, some delicate, descending lines from Trey, Mike and Page. By 7:00 we are entirely off the Reba map: almost '94-Tweezer-like in its wide-open and at times aggressive explorations. This comes back gently into a Reba progression which Trey directs with a delicate, repetitive line that develops into a rising melodic plateau. Even on the downslope and after that, they are molding with the Reba progression into clever new places. Cascading, crystalline lines from Trey and Page. Out of near silence then emerges a soulful-turns-soaring take on a more straightforward Reba jam. Spry, sprightly Fishman and in-command Trey.

I'm going with St. Louis.
Is this still Wombat?

JPhishman

STL goes out further and peaks harder.

Vandy is great, I love the quiet Trey/Fish part right before the final peak, but for my money, STL is better.

"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

PIE-GUY

Not for nuthin but that Vandy show was one of my all-time favorite shows. Check the Llama for the heat!!!
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

VDB

Quote from: PIE-GUY on July 17, 2012, 02:16:03 PM
Not for nuthin but that Vandy show was one of my all-time favorite shows. Check the Llama for the heat!!!

Hey, what are you doing in here??  :police:
Is this still Wombat?

runawayjimbo

I think I've mentioned before that 10-18 is one of my all time favorite jams period, but even still I'm having a tough time choosing when I listen back-to-back. 08-16 is just that good. Fuck this is hard.

Quote from: PIE-GUY on July 17, 2012, 02:16:03 PM

I love the transition from acoustic (with Bela!) to electric mid-Llama. The Bowie's no slouch either and even Aug has to like that Mule.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

birdman

I'm with pie on this one. Vandy is a monster.
Paug FTMFW!

PIE-GUY

I literally bought a couple dozen $8 tickets on my student meal card and gave them away - nobody was shut out of this one.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Hicks

While the St. Louis version goes out there further, they way they masterfully break it down around the 9 minute mark and then patiently and melodically return the Reba theme over the next few minutes make Vanderbilt my all time favorite version. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

khalpin

Can't believe none of the fall '95 Rebas made the top 4.  This one's tough, though.

birdman

10/21/95 and 12/31/95 are two of my top 3 Reba's. Lowell is my all time favorite. 95 was a top year for Reba as far as I'm concerned.
I kind of hoped the Portland 3.0 Reba would sneak in somehow.
Paug FTMFW!

Hicks

Yeah 10/21/95 would have been a worthy contender. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

JPhishman

"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

gainesvillegreen

Tough choice. I voted Saint Louis, but not by much.

Fall 94 had several great Reba's (this one, 10-31, 11-25, 12-8 just to name a few), and I think as a tour it was better for Reba than was Aug '93 (yeah, there were more shows played in late 94, I get it), but Saint Louis was a version where they did something very special with it at a time where it could be fairly cut and dry.

Quote from: birdman on July 17, 2012, 06:14:16 PM
10/21/95 and 12/31/95 are two of my top 3 Reba's. 95 was a top year for Reba as far as I'm concerned.

I would agree with much of this...
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.