News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Rd 1 - Stash - (2) 11-14-95 vs. (3) 07-02-97

Started by runawayjimbo, July 15, 2012, 11:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

runawayjimbo

Round #1 - Stash Bracket

(2) 11-14-1995 - University of Central Florida Arena - Orlando, FL

vs.

(3) 07-02-1997 - Paradiso - Amsterdam, NET

POLL CLOSE: Tuesday, 7/24, 10pm EST
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

mistercharlie

07-02-97 is one of the forerunners of the funk era and it is a top notch stash who's flame burns bright. However that flame is extinguished in the wind that blows from the jets of the rocket ship that is 11-14-95. This Stash is more of a symphony with all of the different movements it goes through. The 25 or 6 to 4 jam builds a great base for the boys to launch from, and launch they do.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

WhatstheUse?

Bring in the dude!

VDB

I was out working in the yard one day, listening to 11/14/95 on an iPod. When they slid into Dog Faced Boy I had to completely stop what I was doing, and just stood there. It was mesmerizing.

/great story
Is this still Wombat?

gah

I've spent a lot more time with the 07/02 stash. Gets my vote.

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

mistercharlie

All right so while driving home semi drunk I was listening to  07-02. great jam, great buzz, great weather, but it still couldn't hold a candle to 11-14-95 this is the all time greatest jam and it's a tie!?!?
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

runawayjimbo

Yeah, I wanted to vote 07-02, I really did. It's a sick version, and I too listened to it in a great mood on a perfect day.

But I agree with Mr C that 11-14 is one of the finest pieces of music the band has ever put forth. It's a great Stash long before it gets to Magilla, but then it just explodes. It flows in and out of themes with such precision and purpose. And the segues instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano.

Holy shit, I forgot about the dark DFB. This shit is ridiculous. And then they return to Stash and close it proper? Fuck me, it's not even as close as I thought it'd be.

11-14 for me. This one is going down to the wire.

Not sure how to handle a tie but we'll have to figure it out soon. Remember you can always change your vote  :wink:

khalpin

Amsterdam tends to be a bit aimless for the first half.  ~15:00 they all lock in out of nowhere and it's tasty as hell.  Nice job of simmering down and bringing it back up again.  I know people are all over this jam, but it reminds me of cheesy '70s music for some reason and I can't get past it.  There's some Shaun Cassidy song with this chord progression or something. 

11/14 has that staccato, descending chromatic jam right out of the gate.  The Magilla segue is so smooth, as is the re-introduction of the Stash theme.  Just great stuff all around.  Back and forth, in and out.  They go everywhere.  No contest here. Orlando by half a mile.

VDB

In addition to everything stated above, how fantastic is that Esther jam in the UCF version? Damn.

Now, the uplifting jam that emerges in Paradiso at around 20:00 is divine, as is Mike's ensuing solo and the delicate come-down on the same progression.

But UCF is not to be trifled with. Gets my vote.
Is this still Wombat?

sls.stormyrider

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Superfreakie

07/02 = awesome

11/14 = weaifubrgibhwaribarvbvo^)_)()*EYU D&*T WE)78t20165-98r2rusfpiuregfpuergfegfbup

true story.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

runawayjimbo

whatapiper

Not really familiar with both versions so I have some listening to do! 
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

Superfreakie

Quote from: whatapiper on July 24, 2012, 10:36:37 PM

you just blew my mind.     :-o
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

mistercharlie

Quote from: whatapiper on July 24, 2012, 10:36:37 PM

This statement is just plain disheartening. These are two of the finest pieces of music our boys from Vermont have ever played.