News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Rd 2 - Gin - (1) 07-29-98 vs. (2) 08-13-93

Started by runawayjimbo, July 26, 2012, 12:50:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

runawayjimbo

Round #2 - Bathtub Gin Final

(1) 07-29-1998 - Riverport Amphitheater - Maryland Heights, MO

vs.

(2) 08-13-1993 - Murat Theatre - Indianapolis, IN

POLL CLOSES: Wednesday, 8/1, 10pm EST
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

mistercharlie

I was at both of these shows (that adds nothing to my decision, just bragging), and I picked Riverport.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

susep

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

VDB

Hmm. Kinda a tough one. I went with Murat. Unbridled energy and turn-on-a-dime craziness.
Is this still Wombat?

birdman

Im going Murat too.
I don't get the Riverport hype.
Paug FTMFW!

Itsnotanexperience

murat is more novelty to me.     riverport is one of their best jams ever and was the first song of the night, before the sun went down, not that that has any bearing on the matchup.

mehead

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

Hicks

Man really tough call here, I love both. . .  a lot.

I've even stated in public on a few occasions that Riverport is my favorite Gin of all time.  But listening to both back to back it's hard for me to say that one is "better" than the other.  They are in such different musical stages of development that they barely sound like the same band.  While Murat has that 8/93 "band turning a corner" factor, Riverport really displays the band's improvisational maturity.  At the 14 minute mark of Murat they are wrapping it up and in the Riverport version they are just heading into the funk segment that is the hallmark of this jam. 

In the end I'm going Riverport, since in the midst all of the 94-95 ADD jams that are dominating the brackets I think that at least one example of a latter day funkdafied and patient jam deserves to go further in this competition.  Riverport is undoubtedly a pinnacle of that style. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

McGrupp

Quote from: Hicks on July 31, 2012, 07:27:29 PM

I've even stated in public on a few occasions that Riverport is my favorite Gin of all time.  But listening to both back to back it's hard for me to say that one is "better" than the other.  They are in such different musical stages of development that they barely sound like the same band.  While Murat has that 8/93 "band turning a corner" factor, Riverport really displays the band's improvisational maturity.  At the 14 minute mark of Murat they are wrapping it up and in the Riverport version they are just heading into the funk segment that is the hallmark of this jam. 

In the end I'm going Riverport, since in the midst all of the 94-95 ADD jams that are dominating the brackets I think that at least one example of a latter day funkdafied and patient jam deserves to go further in this competition.  Riverport is undoubtedly a pinnacle of that style.

Agreed on all accounts - well said.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

mehead

Quote from: McGrupp on July 31, 2012, 07:52:54 PM
Quote from: Hicks on July 31, 2012, 07:27:29 PM

Agreed on all accounts - well said.

yup...the versions are soooooo different from each other but when it comes down to it, Riverport crushes Murat

:samurai:
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

anthrax

that riverport show blew my mind, but i'm going murat here

Superfreakie

Quote from: mistercharlie on July 26, 2012, 04:28:28 AM
I was at both of these shows

that's a decent claim to fame in my books.  :rawk:
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

mistercharlie

Quote from: Superfreakie on August 01, 2012, 01:05:56 AM
Quote from: mistercharlie on July 26, 2012, 04:28:28 AM
I was at both of these shows

that's a decent claim to fame in my books.  :rawk:

It does feel good to be able to say it.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

runawayjimbo

Easy choice for me, Riverport is the shit and Murat isn't even my favorite jam from that week.

Riverport Gin vs. Denver Ghost in a funkfest throwdown!!
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.