News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Rd 3 - Ghost (11-17-97) vs. Gin (07-29-98)

Started by runawayjimbo, August 02, 2012, 11:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danje

Quote from: McGrupp on August 03, 2012, 02:59:51 PM
Quote from: danje on August 03, 2012, 02:41:58 PM
I wouldn't put Riverport in my top 20.

:?

I'd be interested to see your top 20.

I guess it depends on how you could judge and rank Phish jams. If you were to take each individual moment of a jam, rank it, then average them all together, Riverport obviously would rank extremely high. I just don't personally find any specific moment of that jam to be absolutely mind blowing. For instance, I would probably prefer the 2/14/03 Gin to Riverport simply because it contains a good 30 seconds of mind blowing material, despite the fact that as a whole, Riverport is clearly superioir.

Hicks

Quote from: danje on August 06, 2012, 05:06:11 PM

I guess it depends on how you could judge and rank Phish jams. If you were to take each individual moment of a jam, rank it, then average them all together, Riverport obviously would rank extremely high. I just don't personally find any specific moment of that jam to be absolutely mind blowing. For instance, I would probably prefer the 2/14/03 Gin to Riverport simply because it contains a good 30 seconds of mind blowing material, despite the fact that as a whole, Riverport is clearly superioir.

Eh, the L.A. Gin isn't even the best Gin from that tour IMO. 

And no I'm not talking about Nassau.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

VDB

Quote from: Hicks on August 06, 2012, 05:18:54 PM

But you love that Nassau show!

/joke

I assume you're referring to Cincy.
Is this still Wombat?

runawayjimbo

Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

Hicks

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on August 06, 2012, 09:56:57 PM
Quote from: Hicks on August 06, 2012, 05:18:54 PM

But you love that Nassau show!

/joke

I assume you're referring to Cincy.

Yep, Cinci Gin FTW.

Anyway regarding this matchup, it was another tough one for me.   It's funny though I don't really hear things in this Ghost that I used to hear.  It used to be the end all be all jam and having listened to it a bunch over the course of this competition it doesn't hit my the way it did back when the official release came out.  (Was that really 10 years ago?  FUCK.)  I know what gg means when he says it's kind of underdeveloped, for instance the line that Trey comes up with at the 10:50 mark really is just too good to only play once, there definitely was an idea there that could have been expounded on in a major way.   

So I guess this Ghost is kinda overrated and ironically I'm one of the people who helped it achieve that status through a lot of fluffing over the years. 

But I will say that the major key jam that gets going around the 9 minute mark really is quite uplifting and the way Leo uses his synths throughout the jam is pretty sweet.

I also do like that for a 20+ minute jam it really doesn't linger on one theme for very long and keeps things moving.  If you listen to it back to back with the Riverport Gin there are quite a few similarities between the two, namely the funk factor and the circular trill thing that Trey does in both, but the Denver Ghost just takes less time to do it.   

In the end I had to go with the Ghost, it just has too much history in terms of my personal listening of the band, and it really does affect me emotionally more than the Riverport Gin. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.