News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Windows 7 vs. Windows 10, anyone tried it?

Started by Guyute, August 16, 2015, 10:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guyute

Wanted to see if anyone had done the upgrade and if it is true that Windows 10 runs faster?

I still have an 8 y.o. Windows 7 PC that I use to work from home as the Citrix software runs better on Windows than on a Mac.

I want to make sure I won't drop it to a crawl though.  Its an Alienware Intel  I-7 with 1.6 Ghz with 4GB of RAM.

It actually still runs well, but I don 't want to kill it.

Thanks
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

nab

I've been using 10 on my laptop and two home computers since just after the release, so my experience is still unfolding. 

Based on what I've observed on my machines (a low end 2014 Dell Laptop I upgraded with an ssd, a budget slimline 2012 HP desktop, and my gaming machine, which I built in 2013 with 8 gb ram and an ssd), Windows 10 is as fast for my usage, and faster in some cases, than Windows 7. 

Is the increase in speed due to 10 or my going the extra step to clean install 10 after the free upgrade (and hence reap the benefits of a clean install), I couldn't say at this time.  I'd have to re-install 7 and run some tests to determine if the speed boost is due to the clean install or not. 

I can report that I am happy with the UI of 10.  When I upgraded from XP to 7, I felt like the UI was more intuitive with 7 than it was with XP.  I got the same feeling when I upgraded from 7 to 10.  Windows 7 to Windows 8 a few years ago; not so much.  I had to relearn a lot more with 8 than I had to with the jump from 7 to 10. 

Things I like so far:

The tool bar search suggests better local settings for the terms I use than any other windows system.

The UI is sleeker than 7 or 8 according to my taste.

Multiple desktops are easier to initiate.   

I haven't had a problem running any software, that I use, that would run on 7 in 10.  (Citrix is not a software I use)

Things I don't like:

Security settings are ambiguous enough to induce FUD, and are hard to research. 

Default syncing of settings (including wallpaper) among all machines connected to the same MS account (and who is going to set up a MS account for every machine).  Had to turn that off.   

Guyute

thanks, I pulled the trigger and upgraded.   So far it is running faster on my system and I didn't do a big cleaning.

I actually have to say I like Edge.  It is blazing fast.  I have always hated IE and I really like Edge, except for the name, Where the Streets have no Name
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

barnesy305

Quote from: Guyute on August 22, 2015, 09:17:37 AM
thanks, I pulled the trigger and upgraded.   So far it is running faster on my system and I didn't do a big cleaning.

I actually have to say I like Edge.  It is blazing fast.  I have always hated IE and I really like Edge, except for the name, Where the Streets have no Name

You could say that it has your computer Running to Stand Still.

Mr. Natural

I upgraded on my desktop, but reverted back to Windows 7.
I'm not the most computer-savvy dude, but it seemed like W10 was primarily for touch-screens, and connecting all your devices onto one OS - none of which apply to me.
The last straw was the unannounced deleting/hiding of my shortcuts. It felt like each time I turned on my computer to do something specific, I would have to spend the first 45 minutes finding or re-installing programs I wanted to use before I could get to what I originally intended to do. I can see how most users would dig it, but it wasn't for me.
We were all ready to pedal like hell to get that rocketship into orbit