News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Foreign Languages

Started by WhatstheUse?, May 27, 2018, 10:40:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hicks

Quote from: Superfreakie on May 28, 2018, 11:08:48 AM
Quote from: WhatstheUse? on May 28, 2018, 12:51:42 AM
Very cool.

... and makes it even harder for me to decide which language to learn! You sure you're not just biased?!  :sbw:

Learn Spanish.....you live in a bilingual country. Only a matter of time before it becomes an official language.

Kind of a no-brainer living in Colorado, plus it will help you book that Mexican Jauntee tour. Also, it's pretty easy to pick up, completely phoenetic and you probably already know some conversational phrases from watching Cheech and Chong movies.   :mrgreen:
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mbw

Learn Spanish.....you live in a bilingual country. Only a matter of time before it becomes an official language.

Fun fact:  there are no official languages in the US.

khalpin

Quote from: mbw on May 28, 2018, 01:50:26 PM

Not for long!

ytowndan

Quote from: khalpin on May 28, 2018, 06:20:06 PM
Quote from: mbw on May 28, 2018, 01:50:26 PM

Not for long!

Seriously. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

Buffalo Budd

I'm fluent in French from studying in middle school through university and can get by in Spanish from travelling to various countries over the years. Spanish may be the most useful to you, given where you live.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

cactusfan

For utility, as everyone has advised, Spanish is the way to go.

But another good reason to learn a language is because you find a particular culture fascinating. If you want to become truly fluent, you're going to want to spend some time in a country where they speak whatever language you're learning. So if you have little interest in ever going to Korea or in learning about Korean culture, maybe you shouldn't learn Korean (for example). Actually being enthused about a particular culture will make learning the language a lot more interesting.

WhatstheUse?

yeah, Spanish is the obvious choice for utility but, as silly as it sounds, my reasoning for wanting to learn a new language really wasnt that.  I guess I just wanted to do it.... for fun? To see if I could? A challenge I guess.

And furthermore, I think it has to do with a fascination of cultures that I'm so far removed from. I've been rolling with the Mandarin so far and it's been fun. I also started learning some Swahili because..... that just seemed hilarious to me if I were actually able to converse in Swahili some day.
Bring in the dude!

cactusfan

Have you considered learning Klingon? I hear all the cool kids speak it.

Caravan2001

I'm OK at Spanish.  I can get by in most places but sometimes I get stuck.  Not fully conversational by any means.  Started practicing again with Rosetta Stone which is pretty good.  I have all of the language packs and always thought it would be cool to try others but one thing at a time.  There are like 25 in that program.   My kids speak Spanish and Japanese pretty well and getting better every day.  They have both every day at school.  It's crazy to hear my 11 year old start going off in Japanese.

jam>

Quote from: Caravan2001 on May 31, 2018, 02:52:54 PM
I'm OK at Spanish.  I can get by in most places but sometimes I get stuck.  Not fully conversational by any means.  Started practicing again with Rosetta Stone which is pretty good.  I have all of the language packs and always thought it would be cool to try others but one thing at a time.  There are like 25 in that program.   My kids speak Spanish and Japanese pretty well and getting better every day.  They have both every day at school.  It's crazy to hear my 11 year old start going off in Japanese.

I have a few SE Portland friends whose kids are going to a school with Japanese language and culture as part of the program. Sounds cool.

Buffalo Budd

Here's to  hoping the next Jauntee album is totally in Swahili!
:beers:
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Superfreakie

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on May 30, 2018, 05:09:06 PM
yeah, Spanish is the obvious choice for utility but, as silly as it sounds, my reasoning for wanting to learn a new language really wasnt that.  I guess I just wanted to do it.... for fun? To see if I could? A challenge I guess.

And furthermore, I think it has to do with a fascination of cultures that I'm so far removed from. I've been rolling with the Mandarin so far and it's been fun. I also started learning some Swahili because..... that just seemed hilarious to me if I were actually able to converse in Swahili some day.

Mrs. SF took Swahili in school. Passed a fluency test
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Caravan2001

Quote from: jam> on May 31, 2018, 06:13:46 PM
Quote from: Caravan2001 on May 31, 2018, 02:52:54 PM

I have a few SE Portland friends whose kids are going to a school with Japanese language and culture as part of the program. Sounds cool.

Could be my school, if it's a Waldorf school.

WhatstheUse?

Alright, so pretty much f*ck Mandarin. I threw in the white flag. The tonal pronunciation is insanely difficult to grasp. The difference in vowel pronounciation is so subtle yet so important. Fail.

On the other hand.... I've been crushin' that Swahili! Even have been speaking it in my dreams almost nightly. The grammar is tougher, but the pronounciation is all phonetic so I actually can say the words.

Currently working on 'smack talk' to teach Aug so he can yell obscenities at the Kenyans as they pass him by!
Bring in the dude!

khalpin

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on June 10, 2018, 05:17:52 PM

Currently working on 'smack talk' to teach Aug so he can yell obscenities at the Kenyans as they pass him by!

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard