News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

opera web browser . . .

Started by Alumni, August 11, 2006, 08:09:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alumni

. . . is now available free of charge at http://www.opera.com/

Not sure how long this has been the case. I've always heard good things about it, but have never tried it because it was not free. And between mozilla and IE, its not like I had any needs that weren't being met.

Running it now, and it *is* pretty damn cool. Checking mail from one IMAP and two POP accounts, browsing 3 sites, and downloading gainesville's fileset of 2.6.93, and it's using less memory than firefox or azureus would -- on their own (~28MB). (IMO, the built-in bittorrent applet works fine for downloading, but I'd still probably use a dedicated app with more features for seeding). If you're running XP and ever need an excuse to kill some time - check it out. Not guaranteeing you'll switch.But you might :)
Cause I got a degree

tet

i would say for about 6 months, it's been free.  very smart and cool browser, but it does almost too much for me to be honest - and i'm as much of a power user as one can be! 
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

mattstick

it's decent - I think the built in torrent app is overkill though

Alumni

I hear what yer saying. From a design standpoint, I think if you're going to bundle a feature with an application, there's no sense in going halfway. If it isn't truly functional, then it doesn't need to be there. And, by definition, it's overkill. That's probably a fair criticism of opera's bt function. If they improve it to the point that it matches - or even approaches - the functionality of utorrent or azureus, that would be a different story, imo.     
Cause I got a degree

jephrey

Tet, you have that picture of Lala (my girl).  Damn is she smokin'  I've been waiting for a new episode, and just pulling up the ipod right now it appears that I found it.  Space Cadet part2 is here!  I guess I'm a couple weeks late.  wooohooo.  Gotta wait for the boss to leave before I give it a whirl.

Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

tet

well it's more like half an episode, they got too drunk and half is a blooper reel.  still funny though.

and she's MY girl...

"We want you to be happy"
-Phish