News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Progress [AKA: The Current Wiki Discussion]

Started by jephrey, November 27, 2006, 03:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jephrey

Antelope is a bad example because it isn't finished.  That and one other song are still being worked on.

I think you still can delete the page even if its linked to, the next time someone hits an "An" link it'll go to a page that says something like "this page does not exist yet, would you like to create it?"  I'm pretty sure tet has "deleted" pages before but I could be wrong.

I imagine redirects from abbreviations like BBFCFM and even pages called "Antelope" but not based on capitalization.  We should eventually be able to find all capital "An"s.

The wiki may act funny with 2 editors, but the chances of that are slim, and you can always go back to a previous edit which is nice.

I agree with you guy, the static stuff is what we're trying to have as a good base for the dynamic stuff, and pretty much anything Phish related goes.  I also love the idea of getting something to do with Kevin in there.  Even gives the site a more professional and closer to the band feel.

J
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

guyforget

Well, Ive been plugging away on the Run Like an Antelope page.  I just started at the beginning, and Im mid-way through '89.  But its tedious, and Im watching BBall, so its slow work.  But something is getting done... 
-AD_

jephrey

Split was the other song that's partially complete.  See the songs page
http://wiki.week4paug.net/index.php/Songs

I'm going to try and do Sand and was thinking about doing some Antelope, but if you got it then great.  I can try and do split to clean it up.  All the other songs are a good template.  I think I'm the only one who's been entering them  :wink: except for antelope and split of course.

j
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

guyforget

I dont know about you, but I just keep thinking that theres got to be an easier way to do this...

But I havent come up with anything yet.  Not like I can write a script that will parse the companion for me...
-AD_

tet

i removed the "An" Antelope, leaving the "an" one.  we can always restore deleted pages.

along those lines, i also removed anonymous editing - you must now be logged in to make changes to any pages, except the "talk" pages for every page, so people can still add to the discussions without logging in... i think...  heh. 

anyone have objections to that?  i think it's "safer" that way, but i could be wrong...
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

guyforget

I do not object.  I have not looked at any of the admin stuff, if there is even any, but whats the process for restoring old pages?

Say I completely trash "Run Like an Antelope" while Im editing it.  How is the old page restored?

OK - I see all of the options at the top of the page now.  Looks fairly well laid out.
-AD_

tet

click on History on the top, you can look at the older versions, then just click Compare to see the differences, and there's a link that will say Rollback over the older version - that will just roll back the page before all the changes between those 2 versions.

restoring a deleted page is easy too.  just go to Special:Undelete and pick the page you want to undelete.  it will be restored with all available history.  i'm not sure if there's a limit to the history or the ability to undelete - i know the wikipedia can do it well enough to not worry, so i think we'll be fine.  as great as the visions are that i have of this wiki, i don't think we'll even scrape the bootheels of wikipedia in terms of size!
-Phish

guyforget

We've got the nightly backups too, right?

We should probably start downloading those locally, or set them up to just ftp the backup files to my server that backs up week4paug.net email and such in the event that it went down.  I can set up proftpd pretty quick I think and that way if the entire hdd dies on the server we're OK. 
-AD_

tet

i back it up daily to my home computer, set it up in cron and it's running daily at 5am.  everything is backed up and zipped on the server the previous hour.  it's a rotating 7 days backup, so we should always have options to restore both forums and wiki.  backing up more is always better, and having 2 local copies instead of 1 would be great!
-Phish

jephrey

I dig the backup guys.

I finished Sand.  Never realized it was only played once Post Hiatus.

Interesting.

Yeah, even the 20-50 times played is tough.  Antelope is HUGE.  There had to be a little over 2000 shows, average of 15 songs per, that's like 30,000 entries.  There's a lot of small ones in there that are not as tedious.  I thought of scripting or something like that too.  Maybe just use dropdowns in excel and write VB to send it to text formatted???  When you need a song that's not in the drop list, add it and over a few songs you'll be moving quick.

I'm going to try and make this at work tomorrow...

J

guyforget

OK - Rather than start a new thread I just edited the title of this one and we can work from here.

More questions -

Where are we going to pull the actual data that populates the "High Fives" and such?  I know theyre all just set up with 2000 in them now as a template, but where is the actual data that goes there coming from?  Just the Companion and/or Almanac?  Is any year besides 2000 completed?
-AD_

jephrey

The song stats for 2000 are straight from the almanac and may be incorrect.  I think the stats should roll up from that page so it'll take some work to get the correct numbers in there.  I can look into making 2000 totally right tomorrow maybe.  Every other year contains the 2000 placeholder data only as far as I know.

The hi-5s/underdogs/week4paug's grooves were selected by Jedi and we were going to let him roll with those as well as the text blurb at the top.  I think in the future, those could change based on threads here where we run polls and such.

Also, in the stats section, the table on the left could have another category or more information in the general stats portion if anyone can think of something useful.

J

jephrey

Good progress today...  I made a little macro that turns this...

[[Piper]], [[Wilson]] > [[Frankenstein]], [[Tweezer]] -> [[When the Circus Comes]] -> [[Limb by Limb]], [[Fee]] -> [[Run Like an Antelope]]

into this

01. [[Piper]]

02. [[Wilson]] >

03. [[Frankenstein]]

04. [[Tweezer]] ->

05. [[When the Circus Comes]] ->

06. [[Limb by Limb]]

07. [[Fee]] ->

08. [[Run Like an Antelope]]

so once the thing is on the year page, the details page goes quick.  I can pass this macro along...  I could possibly make it just take the text and put the internal link on the songs too.  I'll try that first and let you all know what happens.

the other thing is easily populating a song page.  I wanted to work on that today and if I get a chance, I'll do it this afternoon.  I'm thinking of using dropdowns or something where you can start to type a song and it'll complete it for you.  Is there a list of all songs Phish has ever played?

Actually, maybe a noob can populate the Songs page...  The completed pages would be blue, and if they were partial, like antelope and split are right now, they could have a note.  Then I could just copy the song names from there.  Any takers to modify that page?

J

jedifunk

just to chime in here for a moment....

yes, the high 5 & year stuff was something i was going to head up... i started a thread here in the wiki part of the paug about getting opinions from others, but that petered out rather quickly... i'm open to suggestions for this stuff... otherwise i can pull that stuff together myself.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

phil

jeph, i can volunteer to be the noob that helps with the songs page, just tell me what i need to do
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?